Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2018, 10:08 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Is there a better place than right here to begin the education process? What a jack off!

OP: Graham has given you the best suggestion you're going to get, and he even named the guys to talk to. They're all very good, and very helpful. They'll probe you before making suggestions which will be based on how you ride and where you want your motor to be making its peak power. For a stock 103" there are MANY cams that perform exceptionally well and that make peak power in different areas of the torque curve. The guys that Graham mentioned will have experience with most of the many that you could choose from. Call them and let them pick your brain a little....you won't regret it.
My suggestion was to the new guy to search and read the multitude of posts already here on the subject, and learn from it.
If you guys want to repost the same stuff that has been posted a thousand times, have at it. We can all use another cam thread.......

Old 10-18-2018, 12:26 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
My suggestion was to the new guy to search and read the multitude of posts already here on the subject, and learn from it.
If you guys want to repost the same stuff that has been posted a thousand times, have at it. We can all use another cam thread.......
Ever heard of attrition? This forum is a dying forum without new guys coming in who know little to nothing. Are cam threads worn out for those of us that have been around for years? Yep. No argument from me. But this forum will only continue if they're around to ask questions that you and I have had the answer to for too long to even want to consider, which is why your dismissal of the OP was short sighted. And rude.

Besides.....who among us would dare claim that the search function on this forum allows us to effectively drill down on the specific information we need if we don't have a solid week to comb through the bullshit? Few, if any.

The following users liked this post:
kryingame (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:03 PM
danzio
Stellar HDF Member
Received 578 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by wsffws
Thanks for the quick replies, I looking for a little more power for any inerstate ridng, better MPG ( if possible), and still be dependable.
I have only installed slip-on and a V&H breather.
I can clearly see I have plenty of homework to do yet. Thanks guys.
Cams will not improve your MPG's. If anything they will bring them down. Anything that adds power is going to require more fuel to do it. Having said that a good tune will allow you to squeeze out the best mileage you can, but still, you add power - you add fuel. That's physics.

I ran with a stage 1 for several years. When I first got my bike it had the stock headpipes with slip on mufflers and hi flow air intake. It ran okay and got decent mileage (around 38-40). Then a couple of years later I experienced the notorious crack in the "Y" section of the headpipe. I put on a set of True Dual headers and kept the slip-ons. Got a little more power and at a cost of about 2-3 MPG's. A couple years later I wanted a little more power so I put a set of S&S 551 Easy Start cams in and I couldn't be happier. At well over 60K miles bike is running better than ever. Mileage is now 34-36 combined but I'm okay with that.

Old 10-18-2018, 06:04 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

My MPG’s are about the same maybe a little better with a 48H... Don’t have to twist as much to make her go.

First week with the Cams was horrible on gas... Brappppp!!!!

Old 10-18-2018, 08:20 PM
DaleMc0622
Tourer
Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Running a Woods 777 in my 110, wasn't my choice, the prior owner had them put in. As for MPG, the 777 is a mid range cam and I just took a 975 mile ride to the mountains in Va. and got 40 to 42.5 depending on have hard I ran it. Several people have said it and I wish I would have had the option, speak to your mechanic and the experts, tell them what you are looking for out of it and then make your decision. Good luck.

Old 10-19-2018, 04:22 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

For the type of riding you like, I'd be willing to be the 48H or 551 (maybe 204 SE as well) will be what the guy tells you about. Personally I've only ran the 551 EZ Start and man 2 up and just running around town, that is a seriously fun cam. It makes power the second the clutch it out. Granted it falls off early, 45-4800 and it's pretty much done but for highway riding 2 up, cruising around town etc, it's fantastic.

I'm going to throw the 48h in this bike just because I've heard it carries the power a little longer than the 551 and I just like to try different things. Never ran the 204 and really haven't read a **** load about them either so I don't know.

Stay away from the high RPM screamer cams though. They look good on a dyno sheet and in a light bike or a big inch bike but something you ride 2 up it's just not as much enjoyment. I ran some other cams in my last ride prior to the 551's, they all came on late, had to be in the throttle more to enjoy them, and got mid 30's for fuel mileage as opposed to a tq cam that saw 40-42 all the time.

Just my .02

Old 10-19-2018, 08:16 AM
leachman
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
Give Rob's Dyno in Gardner, MA a call or if you are close setup a time to visit and talk to him in person. He's a good guy who does great work.
I agree. Rob is the man to talk to. My bike was tuned by him and my buddy had three of his bikes tuned by him. Rob will not let the bike go till he is satisfied that he has gotten the most out of it. Once he is done he will tell you to take the bike on a ride around the loop and not only will you come back with a grin on your face but you may even see another customer come to pick up a bike while there and witness the same excitement.

Old 04-19-2020, 06:35 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

While your wife looks like a hottie in the pics, and sounds like the perfect woman, I'll reserve my comments to my bike with a Red Shift 468, S&S lifters, SE adjustable pushrods, a Heavy Breather, and a D&D Billet Cat. I had mine dynoed with powervision. It was a totally amazing transformation! I thought about going to an aftermarket big bore kit, but this is really enough power for my long distance bagger. Bigger than this will likely result in belt, and clutch basket problems. I can fix them, but maybe not on the road. A decent cam,intake and exhaust make these M8s really come alive and are still dependable especially if you have the new oil pump. Oh yeah, my bike has enough power to shut up a loudmouth with one of these Polaris Challengers. He could give you a detailed description of the rear end of my SGS, but he doesn't seem to have much to say lately.