Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a cam

Old 10-17-2018, 05:17 PM
wsffws
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pjb
Using the term "cam" (singular), tells me you haven't done any research on the subject at all.
Educate yourself a little more by reading posts (there are tons), then ask questions.
Gee, I'm sorry my terminology was so offensive. I guess I didn't know there were more than one to make the bike go vroom vroom. Apparently I'm not as big a gear head as you approve of.
At least there some here who willing be civil and make worthy suggestions.

The following users liked this post:
slodsm (10-19-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 05:24 PM
wsffws
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2013_FLHTK
Has the shop that is going to do the work made any suggestions? Do you spend the majority of your time in the 2,000 to 3,000 rpm range? I live in NH and spend most of my time in the mountains and the shop that did the install likes the S&S 551 cams for the kind of riding I do. You also can not go wrong with another earlier suggestion and install the Andrews 48 cams.
I do most of my riding in the Whites Mtns. I do ride mostly in that rpm range. I haven't talked with shop as of yet about doing the up grade, wanted to see what others had to suggest. I know there is a shop in Gardener, Mass who do real good work
with a dyno, maybe a option after ?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:11 PM
Jetblack3
Tourer
Received 257 Likes on 115 Posts

If your going to upgrade the cams you will want to remove the cat and install a header. I upgraded to a stage 2 on my 1000k check up. Running a 2012 ultra like you. Harley's stage 2 at the time installed a 255 cam which became stock cam in 2014. There's likely better combinations out there but if your searching for more.... a cam upgrade is great bang for buck. To utilize it's full potential you need a free exhaust. Bigger air in needs ability to exhaust it. My fuel mileage never suffered a bit. Power increase was nice, stock could barely pull sixth gear, now can just roll on throttle and walk around without downshifting.

Old 10-17-2018, 06:21 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by wsffws
I do most of my riding in the Whites Mtns. I do ride mostly in that rpm range. I haven't talked with shop as of yet about doing the up grade, wanted to see what others had to suggest. I know there is a shop in Gardener, Mass who do real good work
Possibly a necessary option after. I would no matter how good your fuel management system is touted to be, but many will differ with me. No big deal....as long as the rider is happy. You'll certainly want a really good fuel management system that allows you to tune and adjust yourself if you choose not to have it dyno'ed once done. And that opens up a more complicated can of worms that the "cam worm"! :-)

Cross one bridge at a time, but cross them all to be sure!

Old 10-17-2018, 06:33 PM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 304 Likes on 226 Posts

It sounds like you are going to have someone else do the install so to get the most out of it, I suggest talking to the guy you will have tune it. As mentioned, he will ask questions about what you want out of a cam and based on your riding style, make a suggestion and then tune the bike to your wants. The guy tuning the bike is the most important part of the process. Depending on his skills, he can take the best cam and make your engine sing or, he can make it run like crap and you'd wish you'd never done it. Find a tuner ( person running the dyno ) that has a good reputation, tell him what you want and follow his recommendations. He can put together a package of cam, tuning device ( if he needs one ) and dyno tune that will make you wish you had done it when you bought the bike new.

I have two 103's with different cams installed by the same guy. He put S&S 510's in my Limited. I like them but they come on a little late for me. I rarely go to the redline but fully loaded and momma on the back, it will get up and go if I ask it to and the fastest bike I've ever owned. The bike runs great, but because I told him I wanted power, the fuel mileage isn't that great. Around 36 on a good day. When I upgraded my Road King, I told him how I felt about the 510's and since this is the bike I use to commute, I told him I wanted torque over HP and that I also wanted good fuel mileage. He suggested SE204's and leaned it our slightly at 70 MPH where it spends most of it's time on the way back and forth to work. It also runs great and with the early torque, I can easily navigate traffic with a little twist of the throttle and don't have a need to downshift to get the revs up like I do on the Limited. Perfect for what I use the bike for and I get about 42 to 44 mpg.

Everyone here will have their favorite cam's. I'm not suggesting to use what I have because it may not be best for you, I just wanted to share what I have and my experience with them. Find a good independent dyno operator ( stay away from dealerships) and let them make some suggestions. If you have any doubts, report back here what they said before you proceed and it will be cussed and discussed to help you make the decision. No matter which cam you choose, you will be pleasantly surprised by the improvement and you won't mind the probable drop in mileage that much.

Good luck!! I know it can be a tough decision.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 PM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Stage 1 + a 48H on my 96” and I ride the hell out of it.

If you Cam a 103 and have a good tune I doubt you’ll be disappointed. Enjoy the newly found power!

Old 10-17-2018, 11:20 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

You can’t beat the Andrews 48. Add a powervision and youll be good to go. Better yet if you have a ggod tuner you can have himm dial it in a little better than a preloaded map.

Old 10-18-2018, 08:12 AM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by wsffws
Give Rob's Dyno in Gardner, MA a call or if you are close setup a time to visit and talk to him in person. He's a good guy who does great work.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Mike flhp
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

551 has a nice broad curve that comes on early. That and a PV (Fuelmoto should have the map) and you're likely good to go. Ditch the cat! Header and a dyno later if you want to squeeze out a little more. Doing the S&S this Winter.

Old 10-18-2018, 09:56 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,376 Likes on 4,002 Posts

Adding cams and a good tune will really wake up that bike....

But as others have suggested, there is a lot to know, a lot to read, and a lot to learn.... as mentioned, best to discuss it with a shop/vendor that you trust....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking of a cam