Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking of a cam

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 06:03 AM
wsffws
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Thinking of a cam

I will be having my 2012 Ultra in the shop this winter for unrelated items and was wondering what I'd see from installing a stage 2 package. I already have the pipes and breather installed and was thinking of having a cam put in while it's there. I haven't been real happy with just the two upgrades and was hoping someone might enlighten me on the benefits of this install.
Also planning a trip West for next summer, is a cam going to help with the long wide open roads ? It's going to be a long winter.
Thanks

Old 10-17-2018, 06:22 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

Pipes? Slip-ons only or have you installed a header, too? Do you have any fuel management (FP3, Power Vision, etc.)? Do you ride two up? Where, exactly, would you like to see improvement?

Old 10-17-2018, 06:51 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

I recommend you take a look around and consider some of the options available before making a decision. Take a look at what is available from HDF sponsors Hillside and Fuel Moto, for example, both of whom have well proven performance packages for you to chose from!

Old 10-17-2018, 08:14 AM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

you're opening up a never ending can of worms. The debate over cams never ends. Here you're going to get a lot of "opinions" from self proclaimed experts. And here's one more. Your best bet is to have an in depth conversation with whomever is going to do the install. Discuss what your realistic expectations are. Then see if you agree and interested in that suggestion.

Some people make the mistake of chasing numbers and overcamming their bikes. For example, a local shop here in the Carolina's insist on putting Woods 777's on every bike. When I asked why, the reply was, because that's what we do. I'm sorry but that's like having a conversation with an infant. There's no logic to that answer. The Woods 777 is a great cam but to much cam on a stock 103 engine without bumping up the compression.

Anyway, good luck with your search.

Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM
wsffws
Stage IV
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the quick replies, I looking for a little more power for any inerstate ridng, better MPG ( if possible), and still be dependable.
I have only installed slip-on and a V&H breather.
I can clearly see I have plenty of homework to do yet. Thanks guys.

Old 10-17-2018, 09:02 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by wsffws
Thanks for the quick replies, I looking for a little more power for any inerstate ridng, better MPG ( if possible), and still be dependable.
I have only installed slip-on and a V&H breather.
I can clearly see I have plenty of homework to do yet. Thanks guys.
It would be easy to spend an eternity working through the countless options available! For some of us that will be part of the hobby, however if you would prefer a short cut, that's why I suggest above contacting one of the experts we have easy access to.

Old 10-17-2018, 10:42 AM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

I will be having my 2012 Ultra in the shop this winter for unrelated items and was wondering what I'd see from installing a stage 2 package. I already have the pipes and breather installed and was thinking of having a cam put in while it's there. I haven't been real happy with just the two upgrades and was hoping someone might enlighten me on the benefits of this install.
Also planning a trip West for next summer, is a cam going to help with the long wide open roads ? It's going to be a long winter.
Thanks
Using the term "cam" (singular), tells me you haven't done any research on the subject at all.
Educate yourself a little more by reading posts (there are tons), then ask questions.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:02 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by pjb
Using the term "cam" (singular), tells me you haven't done any research on the subject at all.
Educate yourself a little more by reading posts (there are tons), then ask questions.
Is there a better place than right here to begin the education process? What a jack off!

OP: Graham has given you the best suggestion you're going to get, and he even named the guys to talk to. They're all very good, and very helpful. They'll probe you before making suggestions which will be based on how you ride and where you want your motor to be making its peak power. For a stock 103" there are MANY cams that perform exceptionally well and that make peak power in different areas of the torque curve. The guys that Graham mentioned will have experience with most of the many that you could choose from. Call them and let them pick your brain a little....you won't regret it.

The following 2 users liked this post by gipper:
grbrown (10-17-2018), todd-67 (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 04:24 PM
trk35
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

With a 103, I would go Andrews 48H. I did those cams in mine, very happy.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:38 PM
2013_FLHTK
Road Warrior
Received 1,043 Likes on 258 Posts

Thanks
Has the shop that is going to do the work made any suggestions? Do you spend the majority of your time in the 2,000 to 3,000 rpm range? I live in NH and spend most of my time in the mountains and the shop that did the install likes the S&S 551 cams for the kind of riding I do. You also can not go wrong with another earlier suggestion and install the Andrews 48 cams.

Quick Reply: Thinking of a cam