Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Completely Solved the Sumping Issue Etc

Old 10-24-2018, 10:14 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunnysgt
As for service cost, the first service on the BMW is $270. The first on my Harley was $310. I"ve had 5 BMW bikes and never had an issue with any of them. This bike is nothing flat of amazing on the highway for ride quality, handling, and power. 160 hp and 130 ft lbs of torque. It has every feature my 2018 CVO Limited has for darn near half the price. My CVO was $46 out the door. I got this bike for $23.8K, less than a street glide and it would run rings around my CVO. Love American made but Harley really needs to step up to the plate for the newer generations to commit. Oh and it has a center stand, electric adjustable windshield, Sirius XM Navigation, plus I can change the suspension on the fly with a button. Did I mention amazing power and I don't have to dump $2000 more on pipes, a tuner, a download etc etc.
I'm not going to dis BMWs, I've been looking a them myself. BUT, I ride with a lot of Beemer riders and each have had their issues. In fact, my buddies front shock blew on his GS while I was riding it. My other buddy's RT was recalled. These are expensive issues. And if you don't believe me, get on a Beemer forum and asked them. There are several discussions on the cost of owning a Beemer, not cheap. But the typical beemer rider considers the cost as part of owning their bikes.

If someone wants to try out something different, the FJR is cheaper and has very good reliability. I only sold my because my knees can't handle being tucked under my hips. Even with the taller seat and lower pegs, the position was very painful after a couple hours ride. But, it is a great bike equipped about the same as the BMW.

Beary

The following users liked this post:
Kingglide549 (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:28 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

There is no reason to diss a great MC.. so you are correct.
HD could learn a few things and the next few years they will be forced to learn quality.They could look at BMW or Honda.
They both make fine a MC.

Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,805 Likes on 1,431 Posts

Originally Posted by Redlegvzv
My big issue with BMW motorcycles is the rider position and the high-up ride that makes it very difficult to flat foot them unless you are well over 6 feet tall. Honestly, I'm not sure how many of the BMW riders that I see can manage the bike for that reason. I see a lot of BMW riders who (like me) cannot flat foot that bike.
You are correct. A riding bud, (who is an Irish dwarf) just got a '17 and is getting a lowering kit for it.

04ctd (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,180 Likes on 1,958 Posts

Started riding Harley's in 1986. Around 2000 it seems there were all kinds of issues with brand new bikes being reported. Had 4 speedometers on a new Softail I bought before one actually worked. Here we are again now with the reported sumping, oil pump failures etc etc. Sold the '18 Road King and bought an '18 BMW K1600 GTL. Problem solved for me. I love Harley's, owned 47 of them. Yep 47. Maybe I'll buy another in the future but for now I'm enjoyin the heck out of this BMW.
No Gunny, you avoided the issue. You did not solve anything.

LQQK_OUT (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 11:51 AM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Does anyone know what the percentage is of Harley's that are sumping? I thought I had seen somewhere that it was <1% but I cannot find it.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:59 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

As for service cost, the first service on the BMW is $270. The first on my Harley was $310. I"ve had 5 BMW bikes and never had an issue with any of them. This bike is nothing flat of amazing on the highway for ride quality, handling, and power. 160 hp and 130 ft lbs of torque. It has every feature my 2018 CVO Limited has for darn near half the price. My CVO was $46 out the door. I got this bike for $23.8K, less than a street glide and it would run rings around my CVO. Love American made but Harley really needs to step up to the plate for the newer generations to commit. Oh and it has a center stand, electric adjustable windshield, Sirius XM Navigation, plus I can change the suspension on the fly with a button. Did I mention amazing power and I don't have to dump $2000 more on pipes, a tuner, a download etc etc.
So, counting your 47 Harleys, you've had 52 bikes in 32 years? That's gotta be some kinda record or something...

I hope the BMW give you months and months of happiness (before you trade it in on the next shiny something that catches your eye).

whocares (10-25-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 01:32 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
No Gunny, you avoided the issue. You did not solve anything.
He said he solved the issue, and he did. You might not like the way he solved it for himself, but he solved/eliminated it. You still have your problem. He doesn't. So I'd say he solved it too. LOL!

Old 10-24-2018, 01:38 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by tcatnat
The BMW K1600 B was on my short list but BMW's have their own quality and reliability issues. Plus the cost of maintaining and the distance to the nearest shop didn't help. Sure wouldn't mind some of those conveniences like reverse assist. Right now I am completely satisfied with my Road King.

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/...ycle/index.htm
That report has been posted here before. The problem I have with these reports is that they don't list what they are judging to be problems/issues. For instance, a locked up transmission is completely different than turn signal malfunctioning. On the turn signal, you stand still use hand signals. On the tranny, you're dead in the water, but both are counted as equal. And I would contest strongly that Yamaha has a more than 10% failure rate(11% as stated). I'm sorry but I just don't believe that.

Old 10-24-2018, 01:45 PM
04ctd
Banned

Received 205 Likes on 149 Posts

buddy had a choice between the Kawi Concours and 18 Goldwing, he bought the wing, how does the 18 GW compare to the BMW?

he swears he is gonna kill me this weekend, (doing a long trip together), he says my ragged old M8 107 will be outmuscled....and I believe him

Old 10-24-2018, 01:49 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
That report has been posted here before. The problem I have with these reports is that they don't list what they are judging to be problems/issues. For instance, a locked up transmission is completely different than turn signal malfunctioning. On the turn signal, you stand still use hand signals. On the tranny, you're dead in the water, but both are counted as equal. And I would contest strongly that Yamaha has a more than 10% failure rate(11% as stated). I'm sorry but I just don't believe that.
I agree. I've owned and rode along with riders of many brands, and Japanize bikes are by far the most reliable. If I were buying purely from my observation and experience of reliability, I would be looking a Honda, Yamahas and Kawasaki's. As it is, three Harleys occupy space in my garage.

Beary

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I Completely Solved the Sumping Issue Etc