Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Profit over Safety

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2018, 11:51 AM
eravo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Profit over Safety

So this week I became a victim of the ABS failure resulting in no rear brakes. I have changed my brake fluid but not per the recommended schedule. I take full responsibility for this and will have to pay for the replacement HCU. My problem is the design, this happened without warning and it happened 21 miles after the dealer performed the recall. The failure without warning (no ABS failure light) disabled my rear brakes. In any other vehicle if the ABS fails it does not render the brakes inoperable.

This is a major design flaw which required a major recall to change the brake fluid. Changing the brake fluid will not alleviate the defect in the HCU. It may prevent the unit from failing but there's no guarantee the unit will not fail over time. What happens when the unit fails from being old or worn? The same thing you lose your braking capability without warning.

So you have to ask why, why would HD create a major recall on a maintenance issue? It's called cover your azz... I don't see HD creating a recall for any other maintenance items.

Parts for the braking system should not be compromised by a flawed design or questionable manufacturing in China. Too many lives at stake. I would be more comfortable if HD would admit there is an issue if you don't perform the recommended maintenance but we're going to make a design change for purchase to prevent the brake failure if the ABS unit fails. I'm going to have the HCU replaced this week but I now have doubt in the braking system.

I owned 3 Harleys in 10 years and I can promise you I will never purchase another. When my safety is compromised by profits it's time to get off the HD loyalty band wagon.

Old 10-30-2018, 12:34 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,942 Likes on 2,164 Posts

Yeah, everything you have brought up has been hashed and rehashed in many threads in the last 9 months. You should come around more often and join the conversation!

Old 10-30-2018, 03:34 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

deleted....

deleted
​​​​​​​

Last edited by Goose_NC; 10-30-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:07 PM
Kenrbass
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I got in the habit of going into a lockup to activate the abs once a month or so. It's just my opinion, but I think moving those parts now and then, will help keep them healthy.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:54 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 624 Likes on 453 Posts

First of all, I agree with the OP as far as NO safety system should ever make things worse. That is tempered by the FACT that there are many other components in the brake system and any one of them can fail and render that brake inoperative. LIFE is not without risk. Another ABS problem has also been heavily discussed, that a bumpy surface combined with a perfectly functioning ABS system can make you temporarily without braking. Combine the two malfunctions and I refuse to have a bike with ABS. Now I am waiting for the stories to start abut how linked brakes caused a crash. There are times on sand and gravel you just don't want to use the front brake. I don't want some engineer to take that decision/option away from me. I am certain that many people disagree, so enjoy your bikes with ABS and linked braking, and GOOD LUCK! Obviously, if I were the OP, would spend a fraction of the repair cost and re-plumb the bike for NO ABS.

Old 10-30-2018, 05:59 PM
ORradtech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 371 Likes on 321 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenrbass
I got in the habit of going into a lockup to activate the abs once a month or so. It's just my opinion, but I think moving those parts now and then, will help keep them healthy.
That's probably not a bad idea. I have noticed several people reporting the ABS failure shortly after having the recall flush done. More times than I can consider to be coincidence. People who have had no prior ABS problems. I've often wondered if the cycling of the pump during the flush is dislodging crud within the pump. I wonder if more people activated the ABS regularly like you do if they'd have a more reliable system.

Old 10-30-2018, 09:09 PM
run1fsr
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Yes, years ago I was tempted by the then new ABS option. But I'm sticking with what I have ... my old non-ABS scooters.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (11-01-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 09:16 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,254 Likes on 11,139 Posts

Blah blah blah...crappy design, made in China. Get a life!

The following users liked this post:
sbeast (10-30-2018)
Old 10-30-2018, 09:42 PM
Joe from So Cal
Tourer
Received 86 Likes on 65 Posts

Regarding the O.P.'s post. I hear you and I agree. The ABS unit should fail to no ABS, not no brakes. It's almost unbelievable that it would be engineered that way.

I read another post in another thread about that happening to someone, he went for the brake and it wasn't there, and that person promptly removed the ABS. He also PM'd me and told me how he did it.

I'm quite sure if the same thing happened to some of the naysayers here, they'd quickly change their tone.

Last edited by Joe from So Cal; 10-30-2018 at 09:43 PM. Reason: speling
Old 10-30-2018, 10:08 PM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
First of all, I agree with the OP as far as NO safety system should ever make things worse. That is tempered by the FACT that there are many other components in the brake system and any one of them can fail and render that brake inoperative. LIFE is not without risk. Another ABS problem has also been heavily discussed, that a bumpy surface combined with a perfectly functioning ABS system can make you temporarily without braking. Combine the two malfunctions and I refuse to have a bike with ABS. Now I am waiting for the stories to start abut how linked brakes caused a crash. There are times on sand and gravel you just don't want to use the front brake. I don't want some engineer to take that decision/option away from me. I am certain that many people disagree, so enjoy your bikes with ABS and linked braking, and GOOD LUCK! Obviously, if I were the OP, would spend a fraction of the repair cost and re-plumb the bike for NO ABS.
I've got over 500,000 on Motor Guzzi's, with their linked brakes, and loved it. That was 4 Guzzi''s from 1977 to 1997.

Quick Reply: Profit over Safety