Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'07 Ultra Gear Change questions:

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 09:47 PM
wharfcreek
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Default '07 Ultra Gear Change questions:

I have an '07 Ultra Classic, all pretty 'stock' other than some slip-ons, an SE Air Filter assembly w/ a K&N filter, and a Vance & Hines Fuelpak set up as per their map. The engine seems to run beautifully and I've no complaints about engine performance at all. However, right from a dead stop break-away thru 4th gear I just have the feeling that it's over-geared. Once shifting into 5th gear this sensation gets worse, and 6th makes it pretty evident that HD made a pretty bad choice in gearing for this bike. My 'research' on this (if you can call reading all kinds of forum entries and internet comments) seems to support that the '07 and '08 models did have some issues with gearing, as well as with other things like the Compensator. Anyway, regarding this gearing issue, I'm thinking about addressing it by removing the 32 trans drive pulley and replacing it with a 30 tooth unit. I believe my bike has the 'stock' belt on it...which mates to a 66 tooth rear pulley. Most information I read seems to support that a 30 tooth pulley can be installed with the 66 tooth rear and that there is enough room with the axle adjusters to tighten the belt properly and still have a bit of room left. Or, one can push the wheel forward an easily add a 68 tooth rear pulley, and even a 70 tooth and 'not' have to replace the stock belt. Can anyone confirm any of this? For the record, I take a lot of extended trips, often '2-up' and loaded. As such, my 6th gear has proven pretty useless as-is since I don't usually get much over 70 to 75 mph. Just curious what comments if any can be made about this? Many thanks! Tom D.

Old 11-12-2018, 10:13 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Doing this over the winter on my ‘07 SG:
- Andrews Pulley 30T
- Baker Attitude Chain Adjuster
- Baker High Torque Bearing Kit (removes inner race)
- Falcon 1in 136t Belt (pn# BDL-SPC-136-1). It’s a belt for 07-10 sportster belt.

Max adjustment on touring (up to ‘08, not sure about the new frame) to keep stock belt is 1 tooth, so going to a 30t pulley will need a 136t belt. On my ‘09 Dyna I could move 2 teeth and keep stock belt (had 30t front pulley first then added 70t rear from international Dyna model). From everything I have researched there is no 70t belt pulley that will directly bolt on w/o machining......so 30t is it, cause it’s not worth the effort just do go down 1 tooth.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:58 AM
slodsm
Road Master
Received 353 Likes on 215 Posts

You've gotta use the rpms man. I mean you can go to a different gear ratio or you can just ride the thing from 2800-3000 rpms which is where a twinky is happy and it will be fine.

Lugging these motors is bad for them anyway and if you gear it down to where it feels "right" by you, you're just going to be more inclined to lug it around. Ride it like it was meant to be ridden and it's going to be fine. It felt the same way to me when I went to an 07, like something was wrong with it. Especially coming from a bike that made 110lb ft at the time by 2100 rpms. Once I got used to it, it's perfectly fine and I have no issues fully loaded and two up.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:10 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,954 Likes on 1,711 Posts

I’m happy with my 49 tooth ring gear conversion by EVO Industries.

Old 11-13-2018, 06:34 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Lightbulb

The engine is fine, you're not using it as it should be ridden! You can safely rev it to 5k rpm every gear change. Swap it for an M8 - if the reports are true, it has monumental low-end torque - just the sort of thing you should find right up your street!

Old 11-13-2018, 07:14 AM
Porky11
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Well I thought the same as the OP so... I changed to a 68 tooth rear pulley and "I" think it helped a LOT, the only thing it does is throw off your speedometer by the two teeth percentage. It made the stock belt fairly uncomfortable to get on the rear pulley but not impossible. The bike is a 2007 Road King. I used a sportsters rear pulley, It was a bolton fit. Good Luck with your change. I can still run 80 to 85 MPH down to Interstate just fine and it made 6th a lot more "friendly"

Old 11-13-2018, 07:24 AM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

All I can say is that when I did this on my Dyna it made a tremendous difference!

I first just installed the 30t so I know why difference they just made. Power and was way more usable and all gears just felt right....I could actually use 6th gear.

Then I added the 70t and wow that was pure awesome. That was wild coming out from a dead stop and easily picked the front tire up.

Finally I built my S&S 106 motor and it was a beast. Tire would rip in third gear!!!!

Point I’m trying to make it that ive experience it through all the changes not just slapping it all at once. The $500 cost for regearing and seat of the pants power feel from that is not even comparable to the cost of $5k plus on the motor (nothing you will do for $500 that will make you bike move and feel like that). In my opinion it’s way worth doing this to make the over geared Harley a lot more fun!.....all depends how you ride too, not for all I guess.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:40 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 625 Likes on 453 Posts

Harley agreed with the OP and went to a 68 tooth rear pulley in 09 and newer. The OP does not state if he has the cush drive rear pulley or not. With my 08 Road King, it seemed far less work to change the rear pulley to the 68 tooth rather than disassemble the primary to change the transmission pulley. The change improved drivability and fuel economy. If the OP has an additional reason to get into the primary, the smaller front pulley would be right there for the change, and the speedometer/cruise range would not be thrown off. I cured the speedo error by taking the speedo apart and re-indexing the needle. Now the speedo is dead on at 70 BUT the max speed for cruise is about 81 mph now. I keep bumping against that on the 75 mph interstates. Both the 6th gear light and the cruise are dependent on a certain ratio of engine rpm and speed. I can recall no one saying that the smaller front pulley caused a problem with the function of either, but it is possible.
Disregard the cruise/6th gear light concern, the the ratio between the engine rpm and transmission output shaft will remain unchanged.

Last edited by btsom; 11-13-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:54 AM
wharfcreek
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

OK, a lot of good comments here! I appreciate them all. Question: Any particular 'year' of Sportster 68T pulley I should be looking for here? Again, I don't plan to ride this bike at 90 or 100+ MPH! I will likely ride it at 70 to 75 for extended periods, and my experience tells me that if geared up just a bit, this bike will ride a LOT better at that speed. Plus, I also have some gear 'hunting' at around 30 to 40 MPH that I think might be improved by a change in ratio as well. As stated, this seems to be supported by the numerous posts all over the internet which seem to express the same thing as related to '07 and '08. Yes, the bike could be left in 5th gear, but doing this rather limits the purpose of having a 6th gear. So, I'm thinking that, as I've got to change the rear wheel anyway, maybe I'll try to fit a 68 tooth pulley and see if I can squeeze it in there without a belt change. If not, then I guess I'll do the 30T drive pulley and the 68T rear pulley together. At this point, I think the 30T / 68T is the way I'll end up. Hey, if I don't like it, I can always go back, or take another turn! I might add that I've also got an '05 UC, and it's original owner had the 6-speed SE transmission installed at the time of purchase. Though an 88 CID as compared to the 96 in the '07, that bike with it's 70T rear pulley seems to be a lot more 'at ease' on the Highway at 70 to 75 than the '07 does. In looking at Tach readings on both bikes, it seems that the few hundred RPM difference between the two at that speed would also support this gear change. So, like I said, worth a try and if I don't like it I can always put it back the way it was. Thanks to all!! Tom D.

Old 11-13-2018, 01:34 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

I've had an 07 Ultra since new. Installed a 68T many years ago. Not a huge difference but noticeable. It easily fits.
Mine is the 68T from a 2007 Japanese model Sportster. It accepts the IDS (cush drive) update which I recommend.
I would do that first then decide if you want to change the front. If you do, I recommend going to a 31 rather than 32.
This would put your rear wheel back very close to the stock position.
Given your description of your riding style I don't think you need the 32.

Quick Reply: '07 Ultra Gear Change questions: