Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 Road King Windshield buffeting gamble

Old 11-13-2018, 04:38 PM
mjagg
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2005 Road King Windshield buffeting gamble

Hi All,

I picked up my first Touring Harley this summer. A 2005 black cherry road king custom and i really, really love it. It only had 9K on it and was like a new bike. However when I put the windshield on it I got a lot of buffeting that I'm sure you guys are aware of from the stock 20" shield...especially when I wear a full face. I did a little hunting and purchased a LRS elite re-curve 18" (I'm 5'10") and can see over it with no problem. It did help quite a bit but there is still a bit of buffeting at highway speeds, again, particularly with a full face. After doing a little more searching I saw another company that offers a wind vent for HD Road Kings and HD themselves offer a split screen(windsplitter) which, I think, are essentially the same idea. I took a gamble and found this on amanzon for cheap.

Amazon Amazon

Looked so similar to other companies offering I figured what the heck, ordered it and it arrived today. The curve on it exact to both the stock and LRS shield. So I'm pretty excited to get installed now that I know it matches the curve of the shields. I'm handy but will probably take it place and have a hole cut in the LRS to accommodate it. My hope is that at higher speeds I can crack the vent(not the shield hopefully) and equalize the pressure and move the buffeting further upward or behind. I'll report back but I'm happy my cheap a$$ fix appears like it might just do the job and solve my problem. I don't want to go bat wing yet because I like the looks of the solid shield. If I get brave I might try to cut the shield myself but I'm not so sure I want to gamble having to buy another shield.

The following users liked this post:
NWTruck (04-06-2019)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:47 PM
ve9aa
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 647 Likes on 399 Posts

Never had a vent so can't comment on that. I use either a windshield (which I cut down myself) or a Memphis Shades fairing with a short windscreen.
Both have buffeting, my head bobbing around like a bobblehead so bad at times I can't focus very well.

I found that by installing fork fangs, it greatly reduced buffeting. Didn't eliminate it 100% though, but made a big difference,
perhaps up to 75% less.

YMMV,

Old 11-13-2018, 04:58 PM
mjagg
Intermediate

I hear you ve9aa. I really hate that jostling of my noggin. The Long Ride Shields re-curve definitely helped but not so much at highway speeds. I do like a fairing for keeping my upper torso comfortable on long stretches so if this can cure that it'll be really welcome. I've heard the fork lowers do a lot so I'll give those a try if this doesn't completely or at all cure my issue. I figure a vent is good to have anyway so I don't really lose any ground here.

Last edited by mjagg; 11-13-2018 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:09 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,655 Likes on 6,424 Posts

I have an LRS shield for my Road King, have had it for years. Also have a Memphis Shades detachable fairing with an LRS shield. Can't really say that I have a problem but I rarely wear a FF helmet.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:09 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,179 Likes on 2,450 Posts

Originally Posted by mjagg
. I don't want to go bat wing yet because I like the looks of the solid shield. If I get brave I might try to cut the shield myself but I'm not so sure I want to gamble having to buy another shield.
give it a shot, if it doesn't work, you aren't out much. just be aware, different people experience buffeting under different conditions. having a batwing, or a sharknose, fairing does not necessarily eliminate it. sometimes, it can even make it worse. the good news is that there is a myriad of things to try, fangs, lowers, vents, and on and on.... you'll find what works for you.

The following users liked this post:
mjagg (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 05:48 PM
mjagg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nobodyknowsme
I have an LRS shield for my Road King, have had it for years. Also have a Memphis Shades detachable fairing with an LRS shield. Can't really say that I have a problem but I rarely wear a FF helmet.
Interesting that you say that because that's my exact experience. With a shorty and good shades it't nothing but with a full face and 55+mph my head gets wobbly. I like wearing both but in the cold weather or on long rides I do like a full face. I know this could be symptimatic of lower air which the fangs or engine chaps would cure but it's such a little bit just on the top of my helmet that I think the vent will cure it. Again it's a gamble. But at least I'll have a vent for cooler weather and can close it off.

Old 11-13-2018, 09:57 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mjagg
Interesting that you say that because that's my exact experience. With a shorty and good shades it't nothing but with a full face and 55+mph my head gets wobbly. I like wearing both but in the cold weather or on long rides I do like a full face. I know this could be symptimatic of lower air which the fangs or engine chaps would cure but it's such a little bit just on the top of my helmet that I think the vent will cure it. Again it's a gamble. But at least I'll have a vent for cooler weather and can close it off.
I wear a full face too and have never found a wind shield I liked better than no wind shield. I just ride with a Bikers Friend bag behind me with the seat pad that I rest against which pretty much negates any chest pressure - try it!

Old 11-13-2018, 10:16 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,828 Likes on 17,453 Posts

I have a bone stock 17 RK and ride with a Bell Pit boss half helmet, I have yet experience any of the buffeting at any speeds I hear every carrying on about. We are on motorcycles and wind is part of it folks. Might be that big ol Darth Vader bucket on the head you guys ride with amplifying things a bit.

Old 11-13-2018, 10:44 PM
subgunner
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Must have something to do with full face skid lids. Had the stock 21 inch shield, LRS 16", Memphis Shades 17" and my current Clearview 18" extra wide with vent on my 2013 RK Police. I am 6 foot and can see over the top. With an open face helmet I can't tell much difference with the vent open. I get a bit less wind in the face but it is not dramatic. Never experienced buffeting " oscillation " with any of the shields. Switching to a Shoei J-Cruise with face shield and I will report any difference if experienced.

Last edited by subgunner; 11-13-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:07 PM
Turbo Turtle
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
I have a bone stock 17 RK and ride with a Bell Pit boss half helmet, I have yet experience any of the buffeting at any speeds I hear every carrying on about. We are on motorcycles and wind is part of it folks. Might be that big ol Darth Vader bucket on the head you guys ride with amplifying things a bit.

About as bad as those who complain about heat coming from the engine area. It's a motorcycle. you have to expect and accept whatever happens to you flirting so close with eminent death. I wouldn't have it any other way.

BOB

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2005 Road King Windshield buffeting gamble