Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a fuel programmer worth it for a slightly modded 06 Electra glide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 05:57 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by DTTJGlide
You should still take it in & see if there's been a download applied to the ECM, that will affect the map you would need, but it if has a download you may not gain much.
Im making a HUGE assumption here, but based on my years of dealership experience and conversation with the previous owner:

The Screaming Eagle parts were put on at the time of purchase, at the dealer. Ive never known a HD dealer who would skip a reflash if the bike needed it. However, HD still has to stay within EPA regs with their factory stuff so even with a factory reflash (in 2006) its probably still running lean.
Once spring gets here Ill have a lot of questions to answer and diagnostics to perform. I agree that taking it to the shop to see if its had a ECM reprogram would be the best idea, but as we all now, NOTHING is free and by the time I get finished with labor (even for a courtesy check) I could have put a substantial down payment on a tuner.

So, another question (based on what DDTJGlide mentioned).. is there a noticeable difference between a HD, stage 1 tune (performed by techs using HD hardware) vs an aftermarket tune system?
'

Old 11-15-2018, 06:48 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

You do realize that if the dealer re-flashed the ECM when they did the exhaust and intake that the bike was brought back to the EPA requirements, lean. IMHO get a tuner that a indy can tune for you, they will be adding a tick more fuel for driveability. Would your dealership work on a 12 year old bike?

Old 11-15-2018, 07:29 PM
internet troll
Road Master

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
You do realize that if the dealer re-flashed the ECM when they did the exhaust and intake that the bike was brought back to the EPA requirements, lean. IMHO get a tuner that a indy can tune for you, they will be adding a tick more fuel for driveability. Would your dealership work on a 12 year old bike?
I said earlier, I used to work there. The bike is clean and not boogered with. Im sure they would work on it. They will usually work on any Harley, regardless of age, as long as its been well maintained. I digress......But as you stated......(and what I suspected) the factory reflash is drivable but lean. I guess its time for a tuner.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:31 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts

There are very few dealers who will risk motor company or epa “scorn” doing non epa compliant tuning these days... ya need a good Indy to get a proper tune.

Old 11-16-2018, 08:58 AM
internet troll
Road Master

Wouldnt I be able to dial it in just using the Fuel Moto? Can I get real close? Im sure they already have a map for a SE stage 1. Im not aware of any independent dealers in the area with a dyno.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by internet troll
Wouldnt I be able to dial it in just using the Fuel Moto? Can I get real close? Im sure they already have a map for a SE stage 1. Im not aware of any independent dealers in the area with a dyno.
Tuners do not have a feedback loop, by which I mean they cannot detect the results of their own efforts, unlike the operator of a dyno, who can make adjustments to the tuning device, then run the bike and establish the outcome of each adjustment. You may be able to good results, but will never know that you have them!

Old 11-18-2018, 08:22 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by internet troll
Thats exactly the information I was looking for. Thank you. Guess I need to start shopping around. I want to keep this semi budget minded and because its just a stage 1, simple. I think the Power Commander will be more than I need, so its a toss between Fuel Pak and Fuel Moto. Anybody have any other recommendations?
call fuel motto !, just tell any one there, what you have and what your bike is doing, and go with what they say. you will be glad you did.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:12 AM
internet troll
Road Master

Originally Posted by bundy43
call fuel motto !, just tell any one there, what you have and what your bike is doing, and go with what they say. you will be glad you did.
I think thats the route Ill take, but once we get closer to spring. Getting a dyno run just isnt going to happen for me but Im sure they will have an out of the box program that will work. Winters last forever here, ive got about the next 6 months to sit and shine this bike, but not ride it.

Old 11-18-2018, 10:30 AM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 628 Likes on 454 Posts

I did not have the benefit of your post that further explained your concern when I first posted. Do you have any friends with a similar bike, or a trusted mechanic or service writer at your former employer who could take your bike around the block and make an informed opinion on whether your engine responds to a quick throttle tweak the way all of the rest of them do or if you indeed have a performance problem? You may just have noticed a difference between older bikes and newer bikes. When the Delphi FI system was new, there were lots of complaints about low end throttle response when compared to cable controlled throttles. It was not common knowledge at the time that the standard factory program would not allow wide open throttle below 3000 rpm regardless of twist grip position. This lead to many "poor throttle response" complaints from those having recently updated to throttle by wire bikes. You may have a real problem, or it may just be the nature of the beast. None of us on the internet will be able to tell you for sure.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:51 AM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

I had an 06 with the dealer flash, and never felt the need to put a tuner on it. I don’t think the big EPA changes came until 2010. That being said, it may not be set up as lean as they are today.

I just recently added an Fp3 to my 2015, only thing changed over stock are my slip ons, so I didn’t think anything was necessary. Withthe addition of the FP3, I feel a noticeable positive change. Much better throttle response, runs much cooler, and has a better exhaust note.

for my 15, is was well worth the money.

Quick Reply: Is a fuel programmer worth it for a slightly modded 06 Electra glide?