Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is a fuel programmer worth it for a slightly modded 06 Electra glide?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

If you put a tuner on an '06, you will be using a canned map hoping it is close and every bike is different. You will never get it dialed in right unless you dyno it and most dyno guys will only work with certain tuners.

I bought a Power Vision and the Auto tune kit. I added V&H Dresser duals head pipes with the 02 sensor bungs so that I could run the AT. It worked for me, but you will spend some coin doing it

Old 11-18-2018, 09:48 PM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts

There seems to be a giant disconnect between the manufactures and the the users in this forum. The manufactures advertise they have hundreds of readily available fuel maps. They seem to be able to get me real close peak efficiency. I may leave a few HP on the table using a boxed program, but is it REALLY worth a dyno run? Im just looking to get better throttle response and maybe a richer, generally healthier engine. Im not looking to squeeze every last ounce out of this engine. Its a base TC88 for lucks sake. Im not interested in a dyno run. Im more interested in hearing from the guys who just installed a tuner with a set of installed maps and ran with it.

Old 11-19-2018, 03:35 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Tuners do not have a feedback loop, by which I mean they cannot detect the results of their own efforts, unlike the operator of a dyno, who can make adjustments to the tuning device, then run the bike and establish the outcome of each adjustment. You may be able to good results, but will never know that you have them!
Just curious to no how many of your EVOs have been dyno tuned.

Old 11-19-2018, 01:23 PM
DonnieM
Road Captain

Received 201 Likes on 130 Posts

The backfire you refer to is excess fuel on decel and can be TUNED OUT with a quality tuner or dyno

Slight hesitation: there is a service bulletin on 8 degree (OLD) 25 degree (NEW) injectors which cause cold start problems or hesitation It can also be your TUNE

Yes a tuner will make a difference if you get a map that is close (like horse shoes and hand grenades). It will not set your AFR (air fuel ratio) based on your bike, your Stage 1 parts. Dyno's use 02 sensors to set the AFR table etc to get an exact tune. OR you get a tuner with 02 sensors so that you can run Auto Tune

I had a SE tuner on my bike ('06 Ultra, TC88) when I bought it, had hesitation issues. I put a V&H LED tuner on it and tried several canned maps. It still wasn't right. Enter Power Vision with AT from Fuel Moto (and I added cams later) it runs like it should

The gents on this site are making recommendations to you because they have already been there. If you are good with a " I am close I think " tune, start throwing parts at it

Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 PM
Ibmatt2u
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

I do think a tuner will help. I understand not wanting to do a Dyno run because I’m in the same boat. I don’t care about every last hp, just want bike to run well and better than it came from the factory. I have all Vance and Hines stage one parts so I went with the fp3. They can tell you which map to choose based on what you have and it WILL run better. Not as good as it could granted, but better. Fp3 also has auto tune feature. My 2 cents.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:14 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by bundy43
Just curious to no how many of your EVOs have been dyno tuned.
I've only got one - had it dyno-tuned twice, with different exhaust systems.

Old 11-20-2018, 08:45 AM
bad tappets
Road Warrior
Received 405 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by internet troll
There seems to be a giant disconnect between the manufactures and the the users in this forum. The manufactures advertise they have hundreds of readily available fuel maps. They seem to be able to get me real close peak efficiency. I may leave a few HP on the table using a boxed program, but is it REALLY worth a dyno run? Im just looking to get better throttle response and maybe a richer, generally healthier engine. Im not looking to squeeze every last ounce out of this engine. Its a base TC88 for lucks sake. Im not interested in a dyno run. Im more interested in hearing from the guys who just installed a tuner with a set of installed maps and ran with it.
My ‘06 had a V&H FuelPak on it when I bought it. Ran a bit rough, lots of decel pop, and had a minor hesitation. I emailed V&H, and they sent me a new map, ran well. I put new cams in and again got a new map, run really, really well. No pop, no hesitation.

Yes, your bike will run better with a tuner. It will probably run even better with a dyno tune, but more $$$’s. If you don’t plan doing much more than Stage 2 mos, the FuelPak works well, and it’s easy to install and program.

Old 11-21-2018, 08:23 AM
DesertRider66
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the FP3 on my 2016 ultra. there are options to custom tweak settings including thottle response (I would recommend calling for assistance, the options are buried). I am not as familiar with the PC but it was a close second, both have great reviews - don't think you will go wrong.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:54 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 15,003 Likes on 6,203 Posts

When I added SE Stage 1 and SE mufflers, ECM recalibration was required.

Old 11-22-2018, 10:26 AM
internet troll
Road Master
Received 683 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by 47000412
When I added SE Stage 1 and SE mufflers, ECM recalibration was required.
Thats what I figured. When I was working for the Motor Company, fuel injection had just come out. I remember re flashing any time a intake/exhaust upgrade was made. Ive got a line on a fuelpak, so Im going start looking at maps soon.

Last edited by internet troll; 11-22-2018 at 10:28 AM.