Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ohlins -- both F+R on my 16 SG

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 12:03 PM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Ohlins -- both F+R on my 16 SG

After taking delivery of my (new to me) used 16 Street Glide, I quickly decided to do something with the suspension. It would bottom everywhere and the front forks bounced up and down like they were made of spaghetti. I'm new to Harley, but I've done suspension to just about every other bike I've had, mostly BMW's -- they almost all benefit incredibly from it, and I like to ride hard.

But no more than on this bike.

This upgrade isn't for everyone -- you should only do this upgrade if you like riding motorcycles.

I cannot tell you how transformative these suspension mods have been to the bike. The pieces I used are the HD772 blackline rear shocks at 13" and the FKS212 cartridge kits, both with custom springs for my (not very) svelte weight. I know that Legends has made a reputation for Harley aftermarket suspension, but I've had nothing but success with Ohlins before and I guess you go with what you know. I couldn't be happier.

It soaks up everything -- potholes that used to jar my teeth are just eaten up without drama. The bike handles like on rails, turning into corners confidently and controllably planting into the pavement when on the gas hard. The connection between your bike, the tires and the pavement is all about the suspension -- and now the bike accelerates and brakes better too. Its a real motorcycle now.

It's not a cheap upgrade, I'll admit. I had the Ohlins distributor that I've used several times in the past drop-ship the pieces to my local Harley dealer. If you are looking into it, I want to recommend Howard Messner from motorcyclemetal.com here on the forum. He was very fast and courteous about getting back to me when I asked him a question, and seems to know absolutely everything about getting this install right. I just had other relationships.

If you have any questions, let me know. If you have the scratch and like riding -- well, I'd plunk for this before I'd even THINK about an aftermarket pipe or Stage 2 kit. But that's me.

Old 11-15-2018, 08:35 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I’ve had good luck with the Legends in the front, but I have a heavier weight package. I’m now on to try the Ohlin HD772’s in the rear ( from another vendor that Ohlins has been recommending as of late). It’ll be spring before I can report on those however. The 136’s were okay, but the Pro Actions were better in my opinion. The 772’s are a seperated style shock, so hopefully they’ll better than the 136’s were

Old 11-16-2018, 07:30 AM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

+1 for the HD772 on the rear. I ended up getting 2 sets of springs from Howard so I can swap them depending on solo/2-up and trip length. Wife and I have a little extra padding. But man, the ride quality for just the rear shocks is nothing short of AMAZING. It really shows how poor the front suspension is now.

When your wife says it feels like the bike rides smoother than her car, that says a lot. I can just imagine how much better the front would be with Ohlins too.

The following users liked this post:
lyork (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 07:44 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

I’d like to swap out my Legends I have in the front at some point with an externally adjustable setup next year. I’m on to a 120” or a 124” motor upgrade right now, so that’ll have to wait

Old 11-16-2018, 09:07 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
I’ve had good luck with the Legends in the front, but I have a heavier weight package. I’m now on to try the Ohlin HD772’s in the rear ( from another vendor that Ohlins has been recommending as of late). It’ll be spring before I can report on those however. The 136’s were okay, but the Pro Actions were better in my opinion. The 772’s are a seperated style shock, so hopefully they’ll better than the 136’s were
Let us know how you like the 772's versus the PA's, please.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

The market for suspension to upgrade our bikes has improved markedly in recent years and plenty of us already have Ohlins. I'm looking for the day when, at the very least, the CVO models all come with top shelf Ohlins or equivalent quality suspension.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:34 AM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The market for suspension to upgrade our bikes has improved markedly in recent years and plenty of us already have Ohlins. I'm looking for the day when, at the very least, the CVO models all come with top shelf Ohlins or equivalent quality suspension.
They'd have to pay for that. Cheap suspension is.....cheap. Keeps profit margins up.

HD ain't the only one. Most of the stock suspension on motorcycles is crap -- just not quite this crap.

Old 11-16-2018, 09:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by dbdicker
They'd have to pay for that. Cheap suspension is.....cheap. Keeps profit margins up.

HD ain't the only one. Most of the stock suspension on motorcycles is crap -- just not quite this crap.
Good points - but one day - just some day, maybe?!

Old 11-16-2018, 10:20 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by hbsoldier3
Let us know how you like the 772's versus the PA's, please.
I certainly will. I’m looking forward to riding it with the 772’s, but it’ll be next spring as I just had a little paint work done and now it’s off to have a 120 or 124 kit installed. We had our first snow as well here in KC, so they’ll sit in the box for a few months.

Im still eyeing those cartridges you have in the front ....

The following users liked this post:
hbsoldier3 (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 11:30 AM
woodreaux
Road Captain
Received 115 Likes on 85 Posts

I have Ohlins F&R on my 13 Road Glide Ultra. Totally amazing what a good suspension system can do for a HD touring bike.

Quick Reply: Ohlins -- both F+R on my 16 SG