Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shocks - 2019 CVO SG

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 01:04 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

Originally Posted by bo54gey
Picked up my 2019 CVO SG couple of weeks ago and while I love the bike overall, I can't stand the rear suspension. It seems to ride like a rock. According to the chart that came with the bike, my shocks should be set to around 7 or 8. At this setting it's brutal. I currently have the rear shocks adjusted to 3. It seems better, but still hard, compared to my previous 2016 Limited. At some point I will probably change the shocks to either Progressive or Legend. I have three questions: 1) Is it really worth the money for new shocks to improve the ride? 2) If I put on 13" shocks (as everyone seems to do) how does doing so affect the steering geometry and handling? 3) Does the drive belt need to be adjusted by changing the shock size by 1" ?
How many miles have you put on th e bike. even new shocks need 100 or more miles to break in.

Old 11-18-2018, 05:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,851 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by bo54gey
Thanks for your reply.

Do you consider the Progressive 944 and the Legend Revo A to be quality products?
I haven't tried either of those. I have Ohlins, which I first bought over ten years ago, when quality suspension was thin on the ground and I had already tried alternative brands with little success, so decided to skip straight to what was considered top product at the time.

A tip I would like to pass on is that if you ride mostly solo then the choice available, which will give decent results, is now numerous enough to make selecting one a bit of a challenge. If however your Mrs B likes to ride along then the rules change and IMHO only few options will work really well - although that does make selection easier! The reason is that the extra weight of a passenger pushes some brands beyond their comfort zone, also the passenger is sitting directly over the rear shocks and gets a quite different riding experience, compared with the rider up front, so has higher expectations of ride quality. Unfortunately too many members who comment on ride quality of their preferred brand don't say if they ride solo or duo. My Mrs B loves our Ohlins - they have transformed her riding experience!

You have a new and expensive bike and it is reasonable that you to expect it to come with super suspension. The fact that it doesn't is shameful, but don't make the mistake of buying cheap replacements - do the job properly and be amazed! You can always remove your new suspension before you sell or trade your bike.

Last edited by grbrown; 11-18-2018 at 06:10 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:43 PM
bo54gey
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As of today 600 miles. I have the preload adjusted down to 2, even though the chart that came with the bike recommends around 7. Two seems better but overall still hard in comparison with my 2016 Ultra Limited.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:53 PM
bo54gey
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input.

I ride solo 100% and only carry a T-Bag for maybe two trips per year to HOG rallies.

I have my preload adjusted down to 2 on the stock 12" Premium shocks even though the book recommends around a 7 for my weight (220). Doesn't having the preload adjusted down to that level increase the chances of bottoming out? I think a some of the issue stems from the fact that the CVO SG has 19 & 18 inch low profile tires compared to 17 & 16 inchers on my previous 2016 Ultra Limited. Better handling at the cost of ride comfort.

So far, I am leaning towards either the Progressive 944's or the Legend Revo A at some point in the future. Any thoughts?

Old 11-18-2018, 07:03 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

The book settings for a particular weight makes for very rough ride, so being at a “2” might work, but seems low for your weight? What you’re really seeing is the difference between a 13” shock (on your Limited) versus a 12” shock you have now. If you get a quality 13” shock, you’ll have a much better ride. Yes....the bike will sit a little higher unloaded, but will be sitting at the normal height once you sit on the bike.

Tons of threads on brands of shocks here, just do a search and you’ll find tons of information. I’m partial to the Pro Action shocks with the warranty (lifetime) and ease of adjustment. Ohlins is a strong player here on the forums. Legends are also warranted for life as well.

Get a 13” shock on that Street Glide and you’ll be more than happy. Good luck with your choice on brands!

The following users liked this post:
bo54gey (11-18-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 07:40 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

I would try 0, then 1, then 2 and see what works best for you.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:55 PM
dbdicker
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have Ohlins, front and rear -- it is transformative. I see you are on LI -- so am I . You want to give my bike a try? We can do that. But be warned, you are then in for a $2500 upgrade which you will have to have. But what is a new CVO? is it up to 40 grand? Hah -- top shelf suspension is a mere bag o shells..........

Old 11-19-2018, 06:57 PM
ses
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I've ran the 944's for the last few years and just changed to the Legend Revo A. The legends are so smooth compared to the 944, for the extra cost I would go with the legends.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:16 PM
tnriverluver
Stellar HDF Member
Received 442 Likes on 363 Posts

My shocks would not move regardless of the setting. I took a saddlebag off and put my foot on the bar and no matter how much effort I could get no movement including sitting on the seat and bouncing with all my 200 lb weight. Just bite the bullet and replace them. After mine hurt my back badly twice hitting some dips they got replaced immediately after. The shocks Harley put on these bikes are pure garbage. My bike now rides better than a Goldwing I use to own with the cheaper $600 Ohlins. I'm sure the more expensive ones are even better but I didn't want to have to fool with rebound settings. Shame Harley puts the same garbage on $40k bikes.

Old 11-19-2018, 07:57 PM
Quik
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,572 Likes on 1,524 Posts

Is the CVO suspension the same as a standard model? My 2019 CVO street glide rides better than the 2017 SGS that I traded in. I'm 240lbs and ride solo, mine is set on #8, not as plush as my BMW but its bearable.

Quick Reply: Rear Shocks - 2019 CVO SG