Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Increase in MPG in colder weather

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 05:18 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

Originally Posted by Down South
Don't know about the bike but my truck gets worse in the winter due to winter blend fuel.
They all will.
That is the fact of the matter once the math is figured out.
It takes more electrics to recharge and longer. (read bigger drag from the alternator )
The engine is in a more viscous fluid.
Along with all this, it takes a much fatter AFR to make a cold engine run.
So this anomaly falls on the math failure somewhere.

Old 11-17-2018, 06:18 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,434 Likes on 874 Posts

You're probably riding slower in the cold weather. 80-85 in the summer slows down to 55-60 because of the chill factor in the winter. But typically I drop 3 to 5 MPG in the winter

Old 11-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Originally Posted by Kingglide549
I would attribute it to bad math somewhere.
It takes more fuel to run at colder temps to start.
The DA is denser in cold weather...everything is working against better mileage..
The only possibility you are running a better AFR now.
If it was just one calculation maybe, but I've done several different calculations, and they are all pretty much consistent. I've done MPG calculations for decades, so it's not like I'm new at this.
Here's just some examples (all highway miles) of what's been happening. I know I've done some rounding off but that wouldn't account for a 10 mpg difference

115.3 / 3.27 = 35.26

140.2 / 4.0 = 25.05

105 / 2.33 = 45.0

122 / 2.7 = 45.18

135.3 / 3 = 45.1

Originally Posted by cajun1957a
There's a scientific explanation for why you use less fuel in warmer weather, and it's to do with air temperature.
randy
I'm well aware of the explanation for why I should be using less fuel in the summer, but my M/C isn't doing that. It's doing exactly the opposite.

Originally Posted by PDB17UltraRG
At lease were getting a good MPH in the colder weather that’s a lot better then then using more fuel when the heat temperatures are up in the 100s plus.Ill take it any day of the year.

I should've said in the OP, I'm not complaining about the better cold temp mpg. I do however wish that it would get the better mpg in the summer when I do 98% of my riding.

Originally Posted by btsom
Since the bike is new to you, I would suspect an error in computing MPG by the previous owner or a recent change of which you are unaware. Most of the factors reducing MPG in cold weather have been mentioned, but not mentioned was increased viscosity of lubricants. Engine oil reaches almost the same temperature in cool weather as in warm weather but wheel bearings have no combustion near them to heat them up so they stay cooler in cool weather than in warm so there is more resistance to movement in the grease. The same is true to a lesser extent to the primary case and transmission, as they are both warmed by contact with the engine, but less so in cool weather vs hot weather.
The calculations are mine not the previous owner.

They all will.
That is the fact of the matter once the math is figured out.
It takes more electrics to recharge and longer. (read bigger drag from the alternator )
The engine is in a more viscous fluid.
Along with all this, it takes a much fatter AFR to make a cold engine run.
So this anomaly falls on the math failure somewhere.
It's a pretty consistent math failure if it is one.

Originally Posted by golfblues
You're probably riding slower in the cold weather. 80-85 in the summer slows down to 55-60 because of the chill factor in the winter. But typically I drop 3 to 5 MPG in the winter
That's possible I suppose, although I haven't run 80-85 in a few years. I spend most of my riding time on state routes.

If the air is denser in the cold temps, and less dense in the warmer temps, could the EFI possibly not be compensating for this, and causing it to run too rich in the summer?

Last edited by Long lonesome highwayman; 11-17-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 11-17-2018, 09:44 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,273 Likes on 11,143 Posts

There's a scientific explanation for why you use less fuel in warmer weather, and it's to do with air temperature.

As you may know, your engine uses air, as well as gas, in order to generate energy. In fact, it uses huge amounts of the stuff, though only the oxygen is used in combustion. These oxygen molecules combine with carbon in the fuel during combustion, to form--you guessed it, carbon dioxide.

Anyway, one property of air, like many substances, is that it expands when it warms. This makes it less dense--molecules of the various gases are spread further apart. This means that every gulp of air your car is taking during combustion has less oxygen in it at warmer temperatures, and if there's less oxygen, the engine compensates by using less fuel.

This is bad from a power perspective, but good for economy. The engine is combusting less fuel due to the warm air, improving fuel economy. During winter, the reverse is true--denser air encourages the engine to chuck in more fuel, boosting performance and harming economy

randy
Good explanation...but the OP claimed the opposite. Higher MPG in cooler weather.

Old 11-18-2018, 07:20 AM
Long lonesome highwayman
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,836 Likes on 2,363 Posts

Correction: in my previous reply I posted some results that I've been getting in warm and cooler weather. One of those results was

"140.2 / 4.0 = 25.05"

It should be 35.05, not 25.05. The error was not made in the calculation, it was made in posting the result online. (hit the wrong key and didn't realize it I guess)

I would attribute it to bad math somewhere.
It takes more fuel to run at colder temps to start.
The DA is denser in cold weather...everything is working against better mileage..
The only possibility you are running a better AFR now.

The bolded is what I'm suspecting but does anyone know why I would be running a better AFR now than before? Could something be wrong with the EFI? Should it be retuned in the summer for better results?

Last edited by Long lonesome highwayman; 11-18-2018 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 08:40 AM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

You r running way fat in hot weathr and about right in cold weather-
Your electronic choke is sticking....so to speak.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:03 PM
cajun1957a
Road Warrior
Received 139 Likes on 83 Posts

TriGeezer, I seen that but one could also say that given the motor has more noticeable power in colder weather, it takes less fuel to move it. I cant say either way but something to think about.

Randy

Old 11-18-2018, 12:40 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

Make sure nobody's adding gas to your tank between fillups as a prank.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:41 PM
cficole
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 503 Likes on 396 Posts

TriGeezer, I seen that but one could also say that given the motor has more noticeable power in colder weather, it takes less fuel to move it. I cant say either way but something to think about.

Randy
It eats more fuel for that higher power.

Old 11-18-2018, 03:55 PM
Indawynd
Elite HDF Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 2,749 Posts

There is also the difference in the fuel winter to summer.
Despite those higher prices, summer gasoline contains about 1.7 percent more energy than winter gasoline. Warmup times aside, that’s why you could measure reduced fuel economy outside the summer months. Winter gasoline varies widely in volatility throughout the season. Refiners constantly adjust their RVP to as high as 15 psi—higher than sea-level atmospheric pressure, which is 14.7 psi—to help the gasoline ignite more easily in colder temperatures. The vapor pressure varies by month, region, and octane. In frigid temperatures, higher-volatility fuel is essential and does not cause the smog effect it would in the summer. Using low-RVP fuel is a nonstarter in freezing weather; the engine won’t turn over or might misfire
The 2% energy difference doesn't account for all the difference but factoring in the things others have mentioned you can start to get closer to the difference.

A couple of weeks ago I went for about a 300 mile ride. It never got over 45 degrees and the oil temp never got over 170. I don't know at what temp the ecm goes to closed loop but I understand it runs open loop till the engine is "warm". More time open loop, pouring fuel into the engine, would drop milage as well I would think.

Quick Reply: Increase in MPG in colder weather