Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Involved in first accident about two weeks ago...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2018, 04:38 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,746 Likes on 6,893 Posts

Count your blessings that you are okay and will have a full recovery!

Next the insurance should make you whole on the bike. Since it is the other drivers fault and he did have insurance you should be okay. That is totally separate from the medical and injury. They usually handle that part easily.

From there it totally depends on the insurance and specifically the dollar amount $$$$ of coverage the other driver has. Some times it pays to have a lawyer and others you really don't gain much or get as much after they take 1/3.

Best of luck to you.

The following users liked this post:
TravisD27 (11-17-2018)
Old 11-17-2018, 04:41 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Going forward, I would pay for additional insurance to cover the goodies on your bike.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:58 PM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

They will only put your bike back to stock form unless you have extras in your policy. Also if you attorney up any medical bills will be paid from the settlement. If you let your insurance company Settle they collect the medical bills from his insurance company. Just had friend settle after three years of attorney's she got $3,500 out of a 180,000 settlement . Hospital and attorney's got the rest. Good luck and just ask your insurance company a lot of settlement questions.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:04 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Dang, that ain't good.

Old 11-17-2018, 05:34 PM
mab
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

And dont sign ANYTHING unless you full and well understand what you're signing

Old 11-17-2018, 06:41 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,948 Likes on 2,168 Posts

My insurance company paid for everything on my bike that was damaged with the exact parts, including accessories. Additionally, they reimbursed me for my damaged helmet, prescription sunglasses and clothes that were cut off, including my leather vest. My bike is not as new as yours is, but it came back from the H-D dealer better than it was before the accident.

Nevertheless, I agree with the others who suggest you speak with an attorney who specializes in motorcycle accidents.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:03 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

About 5 years ago my 2010 Goldwing was hit and backed into and rolled on it right side. There was a lot of damages to my motorcycle luckily i was hit buy a person with Allstate insurance. I was contacted buy there agent a couple of days later he came to my home and did a inspection on my bike. Came back to me with a 5000.00 check they replaced everything i had Helmet, Gloves, Boots and jacket along with all my damagesi made out very well and repaired my Bike myself.

Old 11-17-2018, 07:57 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Yup, I agree with the others, you should get as good or better than what you had before the accident.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:38 PM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,365 Likes on 2,225 Posts

They will pay more to avoid litigation. Don't be in a hurry, and let them make the offer of settlement. Once they make an offer, you counter with a number that is 50% more, then negotiate from there.

Old 11-17-2018, 08:45 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Go and have a good sit down session with your insurance agent. Would be good to call to see if an appointment would work out best for both of you at an opportune time. Bring related receipts or your best written costs that concern you. Discuss your injuries and any other factors that concern you. There is no cost for this, it has been paid for already. AFTER meeting with your agent, stay in contact with the dealer to be sure parts and repairs are acceptable to you to the extent practicable. There is no reason to tie yourself up with a lawyer at this time, you will have time to consider that later, most states are 2 years. Most of this will be guided by the coverage in your policy, give your agent a chance. Some of the BS mentioned in earlier posts here can and will cause you problems - go forward in good faith, try to work it out within the system, and give it a chance.
Get the medical help you need now, get the bike fixed, keep receipts for bills, lost work, whatever, discuss them with your agent, and if in the not so distant future things are not going in your favor, consider a lawyer to go into attack mode on the whole shitteree. Once you lower that boom, all the above will avoid you, will not work with you any more, the lawyer will stretch this out (Think "Hourly Rate") and you could easily enter into negative territory in this mess. You would be amazed at how fast $10K and more can fly out the window.
Consider talking SERIOUSLY to your agent FIRST. Wont cost you a dime. You can always escalate this later, but you can't deescalate it later. Not on the phone - FACE TO FACE.

Quick Reply: Involved in first accident about two weeks ago...