Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Involved in first accident about two weeks ago...

Old 11-17-2018, 08:58 PM
rick601
Banned
Received 3,952 Likes on 1,560 Posts

An IMPAIRED driver HIT YOU was arrested after and you had personal injuries...your asking about repairs and gear???? The correct question is which CVO to buy and if 5K is the right amount to spend on new gear. Hey I am disgustingly fair and non-litigious but someone put a serious dent in your quality of life through their negligence. I get not being greedy but "whole" in this circumstances takes on a WHOLE new meaning. And that is "fair".

Old 11-17-2018, 09:00 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

As I re read your posts, it seems everything is going OK at this time. Let's just keep it moving in a positive way, and address your concerns with your agent. They will probably be asking for receipts on the upgrades, for sure. Pictures before and after would be good too.
Keep us informed, wishing you the best...

Old 11-17-2018, 11:19 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Some advice a lawyer gave to me once...

If there was no injury, there is no claim. If there is no treatment, there was no injury.

Regardless of how you feel now, you may need physical therapy, etc. to be 100%. You may never be 100%. Your insurance agent is there to settle damages as quickly & cheaply as possible. He/she is not your advocate.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 11-17-2018, 11:31 PM
Buster217
Road Captain
Received 311 Likes on 160 Posts

Had a GF that got hit. Driver was not impaired, but the insurance company paid out the entire amount of the driver's liability coverage. If it was me in your case, I'd tell the driver's insurance company I want the entire amount of the liability coverage. If they balk at anything less than 2/3'ds of that, get a lawyer. Also, in the case of my GF, the coverage on the bike and medical bills was covered separately from the liability coverage. That is - she got the entire $50K liability plus complete coverage of all expenses.

No need to be a nice guy toward an irresponsible drunk.

The following users liked this post:
Eggman1 (11-19-2018)
Old 11-18-2018, 12:15 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 537 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Some advice a lawyer gave to me once...

If there was no injury, there is no claim. If there is no treatment, there was no injury.

Regardless of how you feel now, you may need physical therapy, etc. to be 100%. You may never be 100%. Your insurance agent is there to settle damages as quickly & cheaply as possible. He/she is not your advocate.
I had an accident in 1971 that totaled my CB350 and left me with some road rash. I was young and accepted the other guy's insurance company's offer of several hundred dollars above my scooter's value. 36 years later I had an accident that totaled my 883C.

That time I had no injuries and was riding my other scooter as soon as I returned home from the hospital. That time I contacted a lawyer. After I went to the lawyer's office and signed something indicating they were representing me, I didn't hear from them for almost a year, never even discussed the incident with a lawyer. Then I got a call to come pick up a check. About half the settlement amount went for attorney's fees and medical expenses. But although my only reason for contacting the lawyer was to be sure I got a new helmet, because the other guy's insurance tried to ignore me. I did MUCH better after contacting an attorney.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:45 AM
assiniboine
Extreme HDF Member
Received 4,396 Likes on 2,743 Posts

Originally Posted by Buster217
No need to be a nice guy toward an irresponsible drunk.
I understand ur visceral feeling and sympathize completely, however, this is a battle with an Insurance Company. The 'irresponsible drunk' is largely out of the picture. An insurance company is not 'fair'? They are a business? Challenging/dismissing claims allows them to keep their rates low(r) and competitive which by extension attracts business and generates profit. Their premise is first and foremost that every claim is bogus.

U won't win against an insurance company unless u threaten them and the only way to do that is either to go public on a large scale or through litigation which is effect, going public!

Old 11-18-2018, 06:56 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by TravisD27
I had a impaired driver pull out in front of me about two weeks ago. The person was arrested. This is my first accident and I had to be transported to the hospital. I ended up with just chipped bone in foot and sprained ankle. I also got some bruises and road rash.

My question is will the insurance fix my bike back to exactly back the way it was? They made me take it to Harley dealership for repairs instead of letting me do it and they the Harley tech there said they would but cant the insurance refuse to pay for some of the extra accessories like leather saddlebag covers,highway pegs, aftermarket engine guard etc??? I feel like it should all be replaced back to how it was especially since it wasnt my fault. Has anyone else had experience with this kind of thing? They were suppose to do a estimate earlier this week but i never heard back from them yet.

It scraped the whole right side of my bike up from front fender,fairing, cobra aftermarket exhaust, side cover,saddlebags,engine guard,highway pegs and i think i had some damage on the other side as well.
Went through this myself a couple of years ago. Have HD write up the estimate to cover EVERYTHING THAT IS HURT. the insurance co. will have to pay for the repairs and if they give you Sjit tell them you are contacting an attorney( wouldn't hurt to do that anyway, Law Tigers specialize in Motorcycle cases.)

Old 11-18-2018, 09:51 AM
Almostinvincible119
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 94 Posts

I got hit several years ago, settled out of court. The lady that hit me had Progressive and they were awesome about coming to check the bike out, adding up all accessories including my jacked up riding gear and cut me a check for retail value of everything on the spot, including payoff on the bike. Over all, if I went through an attorney their take would have been anywhere from $2k-$35k. I settled for $85k out of court and payed my health insurance company back all medical copay costs associated which I think was about $12k. Between being out of work and going through all the BS, the $73k after everything was a nice payout. Wasn’t worth the hassle, but the money made it tolerable.

To to answer the OP question. I’d think the ins company should have to replace all trashed parts, even if those parts are add on accessories. If they don’t and just want to repair the bike back to stock, they should pay the retail price of those accessories that were on the bike at the time of the accident.

(Btw, your bike will NEVER be the same. I’d have it fixed...or totaled if possible, and trade it in for a new bike)

Old 11-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Iron25
Road Captain
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

I pay for an additional $10k of accessories coverage to cover all of my mods

Old 11-18-2018, 10:15 AM
nobodyknowsme
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,642 Likes on 6,421 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
Going forward, I would pay for additional insurance to cover the goodies on your bike.
This is what I do. When I first get a bike insured from dealership I tell them (insurance agent) a thousand over from there and adjust accordingly going forward. Yeah, I'm one of those idiots that can't leave a good bike alone...
Best of luck on everything else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Involved in first accident about two weeks ago...