Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King is HOT

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:52 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Since consensus was that it needs a tune to run cooler, ordered an FP3 and will report back if it helped any. I do have one on the dyna, so that could be the ticket.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:49 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

I would do full exhaust not just slip ons it really made a difference with my 2000

Old 11-21-2018, 07:40 AM
Kingface
Road Master
Received 178 Likes on 131 Posts

The only 09 RK's that had a cat are those sold in California.

I have the same bike as you OP and my bike also runs hot. I'm in Maine though so weather-wise it isn't as noticeable other than those hot days.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:24 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

My '09 RKC is 103ci Stage II with Rinehart slip-ons and ACR's It's been dyno tuned twice. Has well over 65.000 miles on it. Runs great. But it does get hot in stop and start. I installed mid frame air deflectors and that helped a lot. HD's touring bikes have a heat problem. That's no secret. The problem can be reduced somewhat by richening the fuel on the low end. But not a whole lot.

Old 11-22-2018, 07:10 AM
Torpedo1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bingee
My '09 RKC is 103ci Stage II with Rinehart slip-ons and ACR's It's been dyno tuned twice. Has well over 65.000 miles on it. Runs great. But it does get hot in stop and start. I installed mid frame air deflectors and that helped a lot. HD's touring bikes have a heat problem. That's no secret. The problem can be reduced somewhat by richening the fuel on the low end. But not a whole lot.
What is it about the touring bikes specifically that make it have a heat problem?

I did put the FP3 on it and it did seem much better last night, but have to do a better test during the day to see how much it really helped.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:38 AM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Ibmatt2u
Does the 09 have a cat? I thought they were introduced in 10. Could be mistaken.
California 09’s had cats.

Old 11-22-2018, 09:49 AM
23Seven
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,438 Likes on 656 Posts

Powervision. I’m using a canned map from FM have not got around to a dynotune. Just running the FM map with some auto tunes has cooled my bike down considerably.

SE Air Cleaner
Wild Pig slipons
48H Cams
PV Tuner

Old 11-22-2018, 11:26 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 349 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Torpedo1

What is it about the touring bikes specifically that make it have a heat problem?

I did put the FP3 on it and it did seem much better last night, but have to do a better test during the day to see how much it really helped.
In order for these bikes to pass EPA emissions testing the AFR (air to fuel ratio) at all speeds had to be increased. In other words run lean. Any engine that runs lean will run at a higher temperature because the fuel burns much faster in the presence of so much oxygen. Plus any carbon monoxide left over will ignite in the exhaust and generate even more heat. Add in higher engine displacements. Free flowing air intakes. Add in the weight of a touring bike and heat is the result. Some improvements can be made by using tuning software to richen up the AFR. But there's only so much that can be done using just ambient air to cool things down. Thus the intro to liquid cooling, fans and more valves.

Old 11-22-2018, 06:59 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

If you’re anywhere near Minneola,fl,make an appt with Docs performance tuning. A real tune is the way to go. Like the old fram commercial......you can pay me now or pay me later.

Old 11-24-2018, 04:42 PM
Torpedo1
Tourer

Wanted to pop in and provide an update. Loaded the FP3 tune ( was surprised to see Python slip one as an option, guess Vance and Hines makes them?) and went on the same route where I noticed it was real hot in my initial post.

Still pretty hot, but seems to have helped quite a bit. The rear cylinder never cut out this time so I'd reckon it's helped. More rides will help solidify that feedback, but so far so good:

Quick Reply: Road King is HOT