Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint peeling inside fuel tank. ‘03 RK

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 08:27 PM
FLRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Paint peeling inside fuel tank. ‘03 RK

I fueled up today and notice a gray colored flake (paint or sealer) peeling off from inside the tank. I was able to reach in and take it out with my fingers. Anyone have this before. Sounds like a problem if i need to remove my tank and clean it all out. I’m thinking I’ll just let it be for a while and see what happens.
Any ideas?

Old 11-19-2018, 09:00 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

Not sure if it could be the reason or not but when you store your bike make sure tank is full...some think it’s better to run it empty/half, but that create moisture while it’s stored over time.

This happened to a friend of mine that bought an old bike and he took it to a local company that stripped the inside and recoated it.

The following users liked this post:
FLRoadKing (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 09:27 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

That's a sealing epoxy and was known to peel off in those years I opened my tank up and got all the loose stuff out. When replacing fuel filters years later, no more junk was floating around.

It was a really cheesy method of how Harley installed it. Some tanks will have nearly none at the top and a real thick coating toward the bottom.

EFI is easier to clean because the fuel module opening is so large.

The following users liked this post:
FLRoadKing (11-20-2018)
Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 PM
FLRoadKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
Not sure if it could be the reason or not but when you store your bike make sure tank is full...some think it’s better to run it empty/half, but that create moisture while it’s stored over time.

This happened to a friend of mine that bought an old bike and he took it to a local company that stripped the inside and recoated it.
Agreed. Store it fuel of gas. I’m in Florida, very humid. Bike sits in garage a lot. I’ll wait and see if it turns into a bigger issue before removing the tank. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2018, 10:31 PM
FLRoadKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
That's a sealing epoxy and was known to peel off in those years I opened my tank up and got all the loose stuff out. When replacing fuel filters years later, no more junk was floating around.

It was a really cheesy method of how Harley installed it. Some tanks will have nearly none at the top and a real thick coating toward the bottom.

EFI is easier to clean because the fuel module opening is so large.
Mine is EFI. I guess I’d remove the tank and get inside it by where the fuel pump is, center of tank. I’d definitely want to re coat the tank after stripping it. Guess I’ll cross that bridge when it’s time. Thanks

Old 11-19-2018, 11:38 PM
Mr. Mike
Road Captain
Received 326 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by FLRoadKing
I fueled up today and notice a gray colored flake (paint or sealer) peeling off from inside the tank. I was able to reach in and take it out with my fingers. Anyone have this before. Sounds like a problem if i need to remove my tank and clean it all out. I’m thinking I’ll just let it be for a while and see what happens.
Any ideas?
Chasing a fuel delivery problem two months ago led me to the same discovery you found. 2002 EG Standard, that gray paint/sealer inside the tank is blistering off. I peeled the loose pieces off and closed the console back up, and checked the filter which had zero gray contaminant stuck to it. The area affected leads me to believe the fuel nozzle at the gas station hits the tank hump, and once the seal is broken the peeling begins.
It hasn’t been a problem yet...but Mr. Murphy rides too.
I’m just letting it go for now.

Old 11-20-2018, 12:56 AM
nzhd
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't need to take the tank off, well on efi bike. I used a air compressor vacuum, and just sucked it out.

Old 11-20-2018, 01:19 AM
Jimbo61
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

bike conked out on me about 20km from home a few months back....eventually found fuel not flowing from petcock muchly....managed to crawl home bit by bit....pulled th petcock off & th gauze was almost completely blocked from gray inner tank sealer that had peeled....pulled tanks - after a few days of on n off sessions of rattling a length of chain around inside th tanks & rinsing out repeatedly, fitted everything back onto bike & have kept it full of fuel as best i can - it hasnt been an issue since.....il probably pull th tanks again periodically & repeat..
jus sayin wot can happen if left..
cheers

Old 11-20-2018, 05:28 AM
FLRoadKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mr. Mike

Chasing a fuel delivery problem two months ago led me to the same discovery you found. 2002 EG Standard, that gray paint/sealer inside the tank is blistering off. I peeled the loose pieces off and closed the console back up, and checked the filter which had zero gray contaminant stuck to it. The area affected leads me to believe the fuel nozzle at the gas station hits the tank hump, and once the seal is broken the peeling begins.
It hasn’t been a problem yet...but Mr. Murphy rides too.
I’m just letting it go for now.
Ok , stay ahead of the potential problem. I'm thinking it's more due to fuel and condensation. Good luck.

Old 11-20-2018, 05:52 AM
FLRoadKing
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nzhd
Don't need to take the tank off, well on efi bike. I used a air compressor vacuum, and just sucked it out.
I suppose that's definitely an easier way. Mine is efi. Did you spray anything vack into the tank? I gather the steel will rust quickly inside the tank.

Quick Reply: Paint peeling inside fuel tank. ‘03 RK