Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road Glide vs Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2018, 07:49 AM
Mofo67
Stellar HDF Member
Received 800 Likes on 526 Posts

Like your have done I rode a SG and a RG at a Harley demo event back in ‘09. I ended up buying a SG and my friend a RG. He loved the RG and would never consider a SG. I just couldn’t get past the look of the RG. Then last year I demoed a RG again and it started to grow on me. Finally this summer I demoed a RG again then my dealer gave me the keys to a RG and said take it our for a while and decide what you really want. Once I spent some time on the interstate I was sold on the RG. I’ve only ridden a RG about 4K miles but I really enjoy it. For me it handles better in all conditions. Not saying I’m right and you’ll have to decide what’s best for you but I’m now a very happy RG owner.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:25 AM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

Originally Posted by Softailman04
I am considering getting a new bike and looking at a Street Glide and Road Glide. Please provide opinions on which bike is better and why.
Thank for the feedback.
One bike has the fairing (windscreen) mounted to the frame, not the forks (steering). The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind

The following users liked this post:
sandtrap10 (01-01-2019)
Old 12-29-2018, 08:35 AM
L88
Road Captain
Received 297 Likes on 157 Posts

65-85 miles an hour crossing the US, you can't beat the Wind Tunnel Tested fairing on a Road Glide. My passenger says the buffeting is way less on a Road Glide vs a Batwing.
If you need to conform to your bar hopping buddies, well you know the answer.

Old 12-29-2018, 09:00 AM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 820 Likes on 527 Posts

"BWFFBW"

Go with the Street Glide, too many Road Glides on the road now a days!

I miss seeing all those Street Glides on the road, all those Street Glide owners now are on Road Glides!

Just makes me sick.

YB

Old 12-29-2018, 10:30 AM
Zedbra
Road Warrior
Received 901 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
One of 'em's darned ugly, the other one ain't.....
Originally Posted by strych9
There are multiple threads on the subject. Take a look around the forums; this subject has discussed ad nauseam.
Compare signatures, define which one is ugly to you.

Old 12-29-2018, 10:34 AM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

Like others have said rent both. I don't see a difference in either bike and like both with that being said I own a rgs now but would not hesitate to go back to batwing. I bought the 18 rgs in wicked red on color only. I have ridden both in the past and it really came down to availability, deal, and color options for me. You can't go wrong with either if there is something that don't work for you on either model there is a something in the aftermarket that will help or fix the issue

Old 12-29-2018, 01:15 PM
dforeid
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

I just traded my 2012 Ultra Limited (that I put 70k miles on) for a 2019 RG. I was always happy with my Ultra, looks and handling. If asked whether I had buffeting or was "thrown around in the wind" I would have said no. But after going to the RG I realized that I had been experiencing much more movement in windy conditions on the Ultra than I do now on the RG. Also, low speed handling (negotiating around gas stations, etc.) is easier on the RG. I like the looks of both of them, but the handling on the RG is better in my opinion. I will not go back to a batwing in the future for these reasons. You will be happy with either I'm sure.

Old 12-29-2018, 03:26 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by skootchnc
best advice I've ever seen....
"if the opinion of others is important to you...get a Street Glide"
Haha. Love that comment.

Old 12-29-2018, 04:09 PM
Marks57
Tourer
Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts

Road Glide. Like the shark nose

Old 12-29-2018, 04:58 PM
KYRGultra
Road Master
Received 489 Likes on 306 Posts

As has been said, both are great bikes. When I started considering going to a touring bike I definitely liked the looks of the RG over the SG. Just personal preference. A dealer let me test ride a used RG they had for sale and I really liked it. I sat on a new SG the dealer had and, to me, I just felt a bit more cramped siting on the SG than I did on the RG so there really wasn't any use in me test riding a SG. Of course, some say the RG fairing sits too far forward, makes things hard to reach, etc. That wasn't my experience. Seems the number of RG bikes on the road is growing but, overall, you still see more SGs than RGs.

But let me leave you with a final thought. I know two individuals on another forum who have converted their SG to a RG and both of them say they will never have another bat-wing bike. But, I ain't never hear of nobody converting their RG to a SG. Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Road Glide vs Street Glide