Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Curious about Ohlins sag adjustment not increasing sag

Old 01-03-2019, 02:48 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master
Received 188 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by albngore
What the **** are those goofy icons supposed to represent? If you cannot write English or simply have nothing to say, why respond at all?
its simple CALL HOWARD. The time it took you to write this post you could have called him to walk you through the process. Remember it’s best to have the bike upright you may not be noticing any sag changes because the bike is on the kickstand

Old 01-03-2019, 02:55 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

Thanks. Howard called me today.
👍🏽 Stand up guy

Old 01-03-2019, 02:56 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,181 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Thanks. Howard called me today.
And the results were what?

Old 01-03-2019, 07:27 AM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

What I now realize is that while the shock itself will move a little bit when setting sag, it essentially is the spring that is doing the important moving. So, my zip tie measurement is not accurate at all for sag. It is only good for seeing shock travel after riding. I will find a second person to measure shock eye to shock eye. Then, I will be able to get it correct.

Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Dynaglide92
Road Master

What I now realize is that while the shock itself will move a little bit when setting sag, it essentially is the spring that is doing the important moving. So, my zip tie measurement is not accurate at all for sag. It is only good for seeing shock travel after riding. I will find a second person to measure shock eye to shock eye. Then, I will be able to get it correct.
yes the zip tie is important. If your sag isn’t right you won’t get max travel out of a shock and you can possibly bottom out earlier than anticipated. They go hand in hand

Old 01-03-2019, 08:46 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

What the **** are those goofy icons supposed to represent? If you cannot write English or simply have nothing to say, why respond at all?

Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 AM
Ryan42
Road Master
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

I bought shocks from Howard and they are great in his customer service is great as well. I don’t understand why people don’t just called him he is a literally there 24 seven

Old 01-04-2019, 03:48 PM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

Please update us once you get the sag correctly set with Howard’s help. We are all curious as to what the answer ended up being to your problem setting it initially

Old 01-04-2019, 04:27 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Howard was absolutely willing to help, but I currently have two temporarily insurmountable problems: no telephone capability in the garage (no cell, no cordless, no phone jack) and no second person to measure sag while I am on the cycle upright.

I do not believe there is anything wrong with the shocks Howard prepared for me. I thought in my situation the zip tie thing would work for sag until I realized that the zip tie is only useful for measuring shock travel--NOT for setting what is best termed spring sag. The shock cylinder itself actually has nothing to do with setting sag.

Thank you for your interest. I will eventually find a second person who can do the proper measurement while I am on the cycle.

The following users liked this post:
lyork (01-04-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 08:13 AM
tbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 690 Likes on 465 Posts

Howard was absolutely willing to help, but I currently have two temporarily insurmountable problems: no telephone capability in the garage (no cell, no cordless, no phone jack) and no second person to measure sag while I am on the cycle upright.

I do not believe there is anything wrong with the shocks Howard prepared for me. I thought in my situation the zip tie thing would work for sag until I realized that the zip tie is only useful for measuring shock travel--NOT for setting what is best termed spring sag. The shock cylinder itself actually has nothing to do with setting sag.

Thank you for your interest. I will eventually find a second person who can do the proper measurement while I am on the cycle.
You have a spring length without Pre-load. Put 1/4 inch in the spring unloaded with your preload ,that you will find should get you close to 1/2 sag sitting on the bike. I ride and adjust my right side shock for shock travel and when I get it close I then adjust my left. I never had a second person around to help set the sag. I always enjoyed measuring and riding and trying stuff.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Curious about Ohlins sag adjustment not increasing sag