Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 FLHTCUI Bar Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2019, 08:34 PM
husky9
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 FLHTCUI Bar Install Questions

I’m in the process of converting a 2001 FLHTCUI that I purchased from a family member into something more similar to a street glide or Electra glide standard.

My question is regarding the handlebar install. I can’t find any threads or good info online about what people are using specifically on ‘01 fuel injected bikes for cable and wiring extensions. I found several companies (like burly etc) that make whole kits with cables and wiring to extend for bagger apes but it always seemed like when I went to select an ‘01 fuel injected ultra it wasn’t supported by their kits.

I have a set of 12” twin peaks bars from LA Choppers. I finally found the following on Revzilla both of which via the revzilla website says for an FLHTCU/I

Cables
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...lide-1996-2007

Wiring
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...-touring-96-06

However, while exchanging some emails with a customer service rep from LA Choppers today he claimed they didn’t support the fuel injected models. When I asked if he was referring to their wiring kit or their cable kit or both he stopped responding to me....

Does anyone out there have any insight on what others have used? Surely this isn’t some super rare combination....I’m probably okay with just raw-doggin’ It and extending the wiring myself with some solder and heatshrink but I was hoping to use a nice kit for wiring and cables to make a really easy clean install. Maybe there is something goofy about the Magnetti Marelli fuel injected bikes I don’t know about?

Appreciate any insight you might have to offer!

Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 PM
tfi racing
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 199 Posts

Looked into putting the 12" bars on my 2001 EGC Classic last year but never got around to it,but will this winter as I sit here looking at them hanging on the wall. I was just going to go with +4" cables from whoever had the best deal individually and solder/heatshrink wiring as required, the kits from any of the companies seem overpriced for what you get to me.AFAIK, there is nothing really different about the MM handlebar wiring,your Ultra may have a few more wires than my bike though.

Last edited by tfi racing; 01-02-2019 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:47 PM
ScottinAZ
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 14,274 Likes on 5,557 Posts

ok. To answer your question, To the best of my knowledge there really isnt anything special about your wiring. as long as the connectors fit, you should be fine. The only real challenge you face, and that is relatively minor, is that the "pull" throttle cable has a sensor inline for the cruise control. IIRC this part is NLA, so most of us are SOL anyways, but changing this cable will render your cruise control inoperative.

owner of a 2000 Ultra Classic. Have not changed the bars, but have dinked with the wiring for other things.

Old 01-02-2019, 10:09 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

You will probably need +6 on all cables and maybe +8 on clutch cable. I am in the process of changing my 06 to 12 inch bars. I also have the cruise thingy on the throttle cable. Magnum Shielding has a replacement cable with this on it. I dont have cruise, but if you need it they have it. Their cables are pricey, but TOP quality. Visit their website, they make it very easy to find the right cables. You can search by bike, year, etc. Also, I am not going to extend my wiring. It will fit fine if you re-route the wiring harnesses inside the fairing. I just checked their website and they have the cables for your model/year bike. Good luck.

The following users liked this post:
Magnum Shielding (01-07-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 06:09 AM
FrankCaputo
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I installed 12” Khromewerks fat apes a few years ago on my 2000 Standard. A buddy also installed the same bars on his 2003 fuel injected bagger. He was able to order the throttle cable with the roll off switch for the cruise control from Magnum Shielding. My bike doesn’t have cruise control. Neither of us had to extend our wires with the 12” bars. We ran them internally and zip tied the connectors on each side of the radio in the fairing. I used 6” longer clutch, and throttle cables with 6” longer front brake line all in the chromite finish from Magnum. My buddy used 8” longer cables, and they’re too long IMHO.

i wrote the whole process for my bike up in this post:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...installed.html

Last edited by FrankCaputo; 01-05-2019 at 06:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Magnum Shielding (01-07-2019)
Old 01-07-2019, 05:29 AM
husky9
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, the cable kit from LA Choppers that I linked above arrived on Saturday.

It appears that it does in fact have the roll off switch on the idle cable. It seems as if the representative I was speaking with from LA Choppers may have been referring to their wiring kit rather than their cable kit.

I will try to get away without extending the wires as it seems many have been able to simply relocate the connector inside the fairing and then I can return it and get my $50 back lol.

Thanks for all the input and I'll try to make sure and post back if the cables/lengths were correct!

Old 01-07-2019, 09:42 AM
b1gj0n44
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

+1 on magnum shielding

Old 01-12-2019, 10:01 PM
Bowen0200
Novice
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Will Magnum's 12-14" cable extension kit work for 10" mini apes? Or will the cables be too long? I can't find any good kits for 10" bars.