Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective Tire Bead or improper Install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2019, 06:50 AM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Surprised that a shop agreed to install parts sourced elsewhere. Now you know why many won't. Something goes wrong both point the finger at the other and neither will accept responsibility.

You get stuck in the middle.

In order for the tire mfg. to do anything, you'd have to convince them somehow that this tire was factory defective- since it's been mounted and unmounted at least once, not sure how you'd do that.

I don't know anything about running tubes, but you're gonna have to do something, I assume the bike is at the dealer waiting for you to decide something.

Maybe buy a new tire from the dealer and move on with a lesson learned?
This is your best option at this point.

Old 01-11-2019, 09:05 AM
goldie
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi all,
Thought I would give you the update. I was prepared to buy my next tire from dealership after they offered to sell it to me at their cost as I stated in my last post ( #16 in this thread). I received a reply from Avon a couple days ago informing me that while they were confident the tire didn't leave their facility looking like that but they couldn't be 100% sure it was install damage. They have offered to send me a new tire on them. In fact since they have discontinuing their AV71 Cobra they will send me their new Chrome AV71 Cobra. I wanted everyone to know that Avon corrected my situation so kudos' to them for their excellent customer service..
Lesson learned.............goldie

The following 2 users liked this post by goldie:
16Slim (01-12-2019), BelchFire (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:33 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Thumbs up

Great news goldie and thanks for the update. Ever onward....

Old 01-11-2019, 09:40 AM
Mertoid
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

Now that's great Avon customer service!
Although I still think the dealer screwed it up while mounting...
​​​

Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 AM
Rogue1
Road Master
Received 651 Likes on 329 Posts

Originally Posted by Mertoid
On 2nd look, sure appears that it was abused during the install. Those short sidewall tires can be a bear to mount. And dealers don't always put their best and brightest on tire and oil change duty. Still, your best bet at this point is to contact Avon.
I concur

Old 01-11-2019, 10:52 AM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

awesome I am glad they took care of it.

Old 01-11-2019, 12:01 PM
Cogswell
Road Captain
Received 261 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by goldie
Hi all,
Thought I would give you the update. I was prepared to buy my next tire from dealership after they offered to sell it to me at their cost as I stated in my last post ( #16 in this thread). I received a reply from Avon a couple days ago informing me that while they were confident the tire didn't leave their facility looking like that but they couldn't be 100% sure it was install damage. They have offered to send me a new tire on them. In fact since they have discontinuing their AV71 Cobra they will send me their new Chrome AV71 Cobra. I wanted everyone to know that Avon corrected my situation so kudos' to them for their excellent customer service..
Wow, glad to hear they took care of you !

Old 01-11-2019, 07:09 PM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,235 Likes on 1,811 Posts

Originally Posted by goldie
Hi all,

goldie, Good things happen to Good people

The following users liked this post:
goldie (01-11-2019)
Old 01-11-2019, 09:34 PM
goldie
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Thank you multihdrdr,
We met here 8-10 years ago. Someday in person :-).... goldie

Old 01-11-2019, 10:40 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

That is great news! I will definitely keep Avon in mind in the future.

Btw, I asked my HD dealer if they would install tires bought elsewhere. They said yes, but that they would guarantee "nothing." They wouldn't guarantee it would hold air, they wouldn't guarantee that it would balance...nothing. Ride it away and disappear.

Quick Reply: Defective Tire Bead or improper Install?