Defective Tire Bead or improper Install? - Page 5 - Harley Davidson Forums

Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Reload this Page >

Defective Tire Bead or improper Install?

Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective Tire Bead or improper Install?

Old 01-12-2019, 01:24 AM
Dehammer
Road Captain

Avon would have been in the right to not bear the responsibility of a mechanic's mistake.

I hope they don't make this a habit. As an Avon customer it adds to the cost of my rubber. It's also just not right.

Speaks volumes to Avon's commitment to customer satisfaction. Your dealership's behavior speaks volumes as well.

Not sure why you were wanting to buy your next tire at the dealership with any deal. Their ability to mount a tire and level of integrity seem to be on par.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:48 AM
16Slim

Avon does a good job standing behind their products....Road hazard warranty and even tread wear warranty on some products....They have a few hoops to jump thur but they will honor their warrantys....

Old 01-12-2019, 12:28 PM
glasspilot
Road Captain

Originally Posted by svarnster View Post
[I doubt dealer is using spoons][. It looks like it was stretched by the machine. probably caused by lazy installer not pushing down on the opposite side of tire while mounting it. the machine is strong enough to pull it over the lip but can stretch the tire if put in a bind. the rim has a low middle then a high side when mounting u want the tire down in the low area so the tire has room to move and not stretch.
Also you're supposed to use soapy water on the beads when you mount the tire. If the opposite side is not down in the well and you don't use soapy water the strength of the machine could ruin the beads.

The Following User Says Thank You to glasspilot For This Useful Post:
16Slim (01-12-2019)
Old 01-12-2019, 01:02 PM
LQQK_OUT
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by glasspilot View Post
Also you're supposed to use soapy water on the beads when you mount the tire. If the opposite side is not down in the well and you don't use soapy water the strength of the machine could ruin the beads.
Or tire lube/paste.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:50 PM
jeeper101
Senior Rider

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah View Post
As stated, this is the kind of crap you can get into when you bring in tires to be mounted that you "Acquired" elsewhere. I have seen this game played before. If you brought me a tire, any tire, to be mounted, I would tell you it is not under any kind of warranty - take it or leave it. If I felt any kinds of bad vibes or if the tire had any question (Like the tire in the picture) I would NOT waste my time with it.
I remember a friend told me once years ago that He would NOT do it. He said something like "If I mounted a tire from somewhere else, and it blew out and killed somebody, they would take me to court and sue hell outta me".
You just have to play it safe now a days.
Nobody, meaning no tire shop will warranty a tire purchased somewhere else. Even if they sell the tires to you, the warranty is on installation only. The tire carries a manufacturer warranty that they only stand by IF it was mounted by an authorized shop. With that said, shops like MAVIC will sell you an additional warranty on tires they sell, that go beyond manufacturers warrawarranties, but, again, only if they sell the tire.

I have purchased numerous tire sets on line without issue, and never had a shop turn me down for installation, in fact, online sellers have a program where they deliver to the tire shop directly and the shop mounts it.

Two years ago I had a 4wd shop install air lockers and re gear my Jeep. The guys gave me a very fair price on installation only and helped/adviced on best parts to get. I got my own, saved a ton of money on parts and they did the work as promised with a full warranty.
Now, I am stupid, I understand they would not cover a manufacturer defect, but they got a lifetime customer for sure.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: