Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective Tire Bead or improper Install?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2019, 02:12 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

As stated, this is the kind of crap you can get into when you bring in tires to be mounted that you "Acquired" elsewhere. I have seen this game played before. If you brought me a tire, any tire, to be mounted, I would tell you it is not under any kind of warranty - take it or leave it. If I felt any kinds of bad vibes or if the tire had any question (Like the tire in the picture) I would NOT waste my time with it.
I remember a friend told me once years ago that He would NOT do it. He said something like "If I mounted a tire from somewhere else, and it blew out and killed somebody, they would take me to court and sue hell outta me".
You just have to play it safe now a days.

Last edited by TheGrandPoohBah; 01-04-2019 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-04-2019, 02:22 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

In business, the hardest word to learn is NO!
But once learned, things start working better for you cause the GD customer thinks he has arite to the business service.
I got news for them, They dont.
-Good business will pick and choose its customers.
It is almost like a contractor- you bid accordingly, some people and some jobs ya just dont want.
NOT for any amount of money!
If you brought me a tire I automatically know the customer is a cheapskate, and he will never bring me a real job.
He can leave as fast as he got there.
Good bye!

The following users liked this post:
Mallard Slayer (01-12-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 04:48 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

Originally Posted by 702
I would simply respond with "What do they tell you at Waffle House when you bring in your own bacon & eggs?"
My local Waffle House doesn't have a labor rate posted on the board, but my motorcycle dealer does. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't find this type of service unusual. I know many people who hire a trade or crafts person to install plumbing fixtures (faucets, toilets), electrical products (outlets, lights) and cabinetry they've purchased.
I completely avoid these tire issues by installing them myself. From my experience, these places usually get the least experienced person for the tire and oil change work.

Old 01-04-2019, 04:54 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,745 Likes on 18,544 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
My local Waffle House doesn't have a labor rate posted on the board, but my motorcycle dealer does. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I don't find this type of service unusual. I know many people who hire a trade or crafts person to install plumbing fixtures (faucets, toilets), electrical products (outlets, lights) and cabinetry they've purchased.
I completely avoid these tire issues by installing them myself. From my experience, these places usually get the least experienced person for the tire and oil change work.
In all the years I ran my ( automotive ) shop I refused to install customer parts ... As a kid I saw wat too many problems while working at the corner gas station with the owner trying to satisfy customers who bought the wrong part, had a part fail ( they wanted the shop to eat the labor ) or didn't get the service life they expected ... Nope, you buy your parts you put them on yourself.

Mallard Slayer (01-12-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 05:18 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 521 Likes on 361 Posts

The dealer screw up

If it wasn't like that before the install, then its on them. But you are kinda screwed in anyways. Contact the tire manufacturer not RMATV.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:13 PM
goldie
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
As stated, this is the kind of crap you can get into when you bring in tires to be mounted that you "Acquired" elsewhere. I have seen this game played before. If you brought me a tire, any tire, to be mounted, I would tell you it is not under any kind of warranty - take it or leave it. If I felt any kinds of bad vibes or if the tire had any question (Like the tire in the picture) I would NOT waste my time with it.
I remember a friend told me once years ago that He would NOT do it. He said something like "If I mounted a tire from somewhere else, and it blew out and killed somebody, they would take me to court and sue hell outta me".
You just have to play it safe now a days.

Thanks to all for their suggestions and thoughts.I do want to state the bead didn't look like that when I brought the tire in. I'm trying to understand what your saying about "acquired " tires but let me ask you a question. You as an independent shop buy your tires from somewhere right? It's a warehouse right? This is not a cheap off brand tire, its made by a major manufacturer with a fairly current date 05/18. If I came into your shop and wanted an Avon AV71 tire or any other brand of tire or size and you didn't have it in stock you would order it from some warehouse correct? You'll have to explain how could your liability be higher or lower for installing a AV71 from your warehouse versus the one I used if they are both new condition, current mfg date and both come from legal operating businesses. I do however completely understand the non warranty thing!

I spoke with my dealer today and told him the "warehouse" is blaming them. I told him I wasn't putting anything on them. They have installed tires for me many times before and I never put a gun to their head and make them do anything. He had asked both techs that worked on tire and neither thought anything was odd about either install. They install hundreds of tires every year. Jerry (the manager) told me they would sell me any tire I want at their cost plus the install. Incredibly fair. If I want another Avon AV71 he can get one from Drag Specialties, again how is this different from buying from another tire wholesaler (say the one I used). I never knew he would order other brands besides Dunlop and that is how I will go about this next time. My bad for not asking before. Only the front wheel is in their shop so install cost should be minimal.

I've sent 2 emails to Avon concerning this matter in the last 8-9 days and have received nothing back. There is an 800 number for them in the US but good luck getting thru. That will probably be the last Avon I buy for that reason.

Again not trying to be argumentative or be a *****. I'm just a working slob trying to keep my bike running and me riding......goldie

Vernal (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:23 PM
Kingglide549
Banned
Received 969 Likes on 694 Posts

If you had an acct with said tire manufacturer you would have the salesman phone number.
You and him / her have a familiarity as you are the PA for your company.
He wants your business
You spend a few thousand pr upwards every year .
Yo call him up one day and describe said discrepancy you get a new tire.
Done.
You for your part have top get the people you bought the tire from to do this for you
Now you may see why bringing a hamburger to a restaurant and having them cook it for you is not a great idea?.

Old 01-04-2019, 06:44 PM
Oko
Supporter
Received 3,818 Likes on 1,438 Posts

What everyone is trying to tell you, is suck it up and eat the sheeetz sammy you were handed. Let the dealer order the tire, and MAYBE if they screw up the new one the service mgr might realize it WAS their fault the first time. Whatever happens, just get ‘er done already.
Good Luck.

Old 01-04-2019, 08:48 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 229 Likes on 143 Posts

I've had good customer service from Avon before, you do have to realize it's holiday time & they are probably short staffed & if it didn't look like that before the install they aren't going to warranty it. I'm guessing the stooge that did the install is afraid of losing his job so of course he's going to play innocent. Sometimes you live & learn, it's life.

Old 01-04-2019, 11:47 PM
Dehammer
Elite HDF Member
Received 2,667 Likes on 1,348 Posts

No way I would use that tire. If it was defective it would have been caught on install. I would eat that tire and call it a lesson.

With a few inexpensive tools you can do your own tires. Save yourself the hassle of the run around and be back on the road on your time.

Quick Reply: Defective Tire Bead or improper Install?