Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Defective Tire Bead or improper Install?

Old 01-05-2019, 02:40 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

That tire looks like the tire spoons used to pry on the tire to the rim caused the problem. My experience is that the sidewalls are very stiff and it looks as if a machine wasn't used to install it.
OTOH I used to run an automotive shop an installed customers parts with the condition if their part went bad I would charge to r&r it again. Saved me a lot of headaches when using reconditioned parts especially carburetors and alternators.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:16 AM
BelchFire
Received 5,156 Likes on 1,947 Posts

Sounds like the dealer is trying to be good to you in spite of the awkwardness of the whole thing. I'd let him install a new tire on his offer and call it good. Win-win.

Old 01-05-2019, 06:22 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by goldie
Hi all,
I recently purchased an Avon AV71 130/60B-19 front tire for my 2015 RGS from Rocky Mtn ATV in Utah. It was losing air so I take it back to my local Harley dealer who installed it for me. It seems the tire bead has 2 warbles in it. Dealership says its a defective tire, RM ATV says improper install and will not warranty it. I am going to attach a pic I took. It's my local HD dealer and I'm going to have a hard time putting this on them especially if I ever expect decent service from them. So I am between a rock and a hard place. My next question is running a tube in it an option? I have found a 130/70/19 tube that I'm thinking might fit. Tire has 600 miles on it total.

Thanks ..... goldie
My next question is running a tube in it an option? Yes

Old 01-05-2019, 06:57 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,556 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Good reason why shops should not install walk in parts. I have seen tires purchased from discount sellers. Questionable where they came from , often past age dates. Unlikely dealer trashed bead . It is a job they do often and have the right equipment.

Old 01-05-2019, 08:40 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

That tire looks like it has far more than 600 miles on it (to me). And that 'warble' (to me) looks like an install issue -tire spoon comes to mind - like they did it by hand and not with a machine.
If the tire arrived that way from UPS any normal person (especially a trained HD technician) should easily see that defect and not install the tire.
That the dealer is stating the tire was manufactured that way, but their tech still installed it (?)....would make me extremely leery of having any service done at a dealer like that. If they do that to a tire, Lord only knows what they'd do when replacing a cable or working on your engine.

I so speak as someone who has had a tire replaced under warranty. BUT, I noticed my issue rather quickly after install.

Old 01-05-2019, 09:36 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,230 Likes on 804 Posts

A tube will certainly fit, but I wouldn’t run the tire.

it does look like installation damage to me. But it looks like part of the bead cordage has been broken internally, and some pulling damage to the sidewall carcass adjacent to the bead.

If I’m seeing it right, that makes for a tire that has a good chance of coming apart at high vehicle speed some day. Not a riding event I like or want. L

Old 01-05-2019, 09:41 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,523 Likes on 1,420 Posts

Originally Posted by goldie
Thanks to all for their suggestions and thoughts.I do want to state the bead didn't look like that when I brought the tire in. I'm trying to understand what your saying about "acquired " tires but let me ask you a question. You as an independent shop buy your tires from somewhere right? It's a warehouse right? This is not a cheap off brand tire, its made by a major manufacturer with a fairly current date 05/18. If I came into your shop and wanted an Avon AV71 tire or any other brand of tire or size and you didn't have it in stock you would order it from some warehouse correct? You'll have to explain how could your liability be higher or lower for installing a AV71 from your warehouse versus the one I used if they are both new condition, current mfg date and both come from legal operating businesses. I do however completely understand the non warranty thing!

I spoke with my dealer today and told him the "warehouse" is blaming them. I told him I wasn't putting anything on them. They have installed tires for me many times before and I never put a gun to their head and make them do anything. He had asked both techs that worked on tire and neither thought anything was odd about either install. They install hundreds of tires every year. Jerry (the manager) told me they would sell me any tire I want at their cost plus the install. Incredibly fair. If I want another Avon AV71 he can get one from Drag Specialties, again how is this different from buying from another tire wholesaler (say the one I used). I never knew he would order other brands besides Dunlop and that is how I will go about this next time. My bad for not asking before. Only the front wheel is in their shop so install cost should be minimal.

I've sent 2 emails to Avon concerning this matter in the last 8-9 days and have received nothing back. There is an 800 number for them in the US but good luck getting thru. That will probably be the last Avon I buy for that reason.

Again not trying to be argumentative or be a *****. I'm just a working slob trying to keep my bike running and me riding......goldie
"Acquired" in my example refers to any and all means taken to produce the tire to an installer that was not purchased from the installer.
As for the condition of the tire bead in the picture, an argument could be made that it could have been the tire, the install, or the removal of the tire from the wheel. Who knows?
You know, perhaps there is not a right or wrong in how to handle situations like these - there is just people's preferences. For example, someone posted in here a while back about someone rode into a tire store on an almost flat tire and wanted the tire aired up, and they refused to do it. That was their preference. I, on the other hand, would have said "Over there is the air hose, help your self" (And not been responsible).
In summary, when someone brings a tire into a dealer and wants it mounted, some installers may choose to not provide the same "Umbrella" of coverages that they offer on a new tire purchased from them. If and where they draw that line is not always going to be the same.

Old 01-05-2019, 12:48 PM
twistedcherokee
Road Warrior
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

It is hard to warranty other peoples parts (not purchased from the shop installing it). At my shop when I owned it & shops that I have worked for, it has always been we do not warranty your parts. Kinds hard to have the expense of a new part when the one they brought in failed & the manufacture doesn't warranty it. Shops are in business to make money, installing customer parts only won't keep the doors open. I remember a customer once wanting me to put in a fuel pump from Checkers (it was their bottom of the line pump that had less than a 50 percent that it even worked out of the box) instead of the quote on my part. I explained that if it does not work I would have to charge him labor to do it again. He went with my part & had no worries. I also remember installing 3 used transmissions (at their cost of R&R) before the customer said to just rebuild theirs. But I have to agree the looks like an install or removal problem.

Toby

Old 01-05-2019, 01:03 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 295 Likes on 240 Posts

[I doubt dealer is using spoons][. It looks like it was stretched by the machine. probably caused by lazy installer not pushing down on the opposite side of tire while mounting it. the machine is strong enough to pull it over the lip but can stretch the tire if put in a bind. the rim has a low middle then a high side when mounting u want the tire down in the low area so the tire has room to move and not stretch.

Old 01-06-2019, 03:01 AM
Ddieselsmoke
Tourer
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by svarnster
[I doubt dealer is using spoons][. It looks like it was stretched by the machine. probably caused by lazy installer not pushing down on the opposite side of tire while mounting it. the machine is strong enough to pull it over the lip but can stretch the tire if put in a bind. the rim has a low middle then a high side when mounting u want the tire down in the low area so the tire has room to move and not stretch.
yes this is exactly what happened. The bead has been stretched. I wouldn't use it. It could potentially blow off the bead now being stretched out, especially with a tube in it keeping the pressure up. Running it without a tube and it will most likely keep going flat.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Defective Tire Bead or improper Install?