Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lift Table Width ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 06:29 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

My Handy Lift is 29 1/2" wide for the lift table and it has two add on wings that make it 39 3/4". I don't have any trouble riding up onto or off of the table without the wings and didn't install them initially because I have a small garage. My floor isn't completely level so every tool I put on the lift table rolled off. I installed the wings and now I have a nice place for the tools I'm using on both sides.

One other thing I'd like note. I have a standard wheel vice on my lift that has a crank and I work alone 99% of the time. The key to putting a bike on the lift by yourself is to measure the front tire width and open the vise to just that or a little smaller (now I just know how far apart to have them). Ride the bike up until the front wheel is all the way forward in the vise, kill it in gear and step off to the left holding the left handlebar. Crank the wheel vise tight and then attach the tie downs you already had laying on the deck. Reverse the process to remove.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 01-19-2019 at 06:38 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 07:27 AM
CyGlide
Road Captain
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
I'm looking for a decent quality lift as well.
Would like the ability to have the extensions so I could also use it for my snowmobiles, riding mower, atv's.
I'm almost 64 and love doing my own work, but crawling around on the floor is starting to get hard (actually getting back up is my short coming).
Looked at HF but would like something a bit more substantial.
The HMC has a max lift height of 40”. Theres a few different options on their tables, but if you get their highest level one it is 90” long, 60” with the extensions so you can fit about any 4 wheeler, sled, mower, and even a lot of side by sides on it. The cool thing about their big lift is the extensions are split in half on each side, so when you are working on the bike you can have half an extension so for putting tools or parts on, but not have to lean over it when working on the bike.

Old 01-19-2019, 07:56 AM
jb1023
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm looking for a decent quality lift as well.
Would like the ability to have the extensions so I could also use it for my snowmobiles, riding mower, atv's.
I'm almost 64 and love doing my own work, but crawling around on the floor is starting to get hard (actually getting back up is my short coming).
Looked at HF but would like something a bit more substantial.
You might check out HMC Lifts. I just ordered one but have not yet received yet. Made in USA, Lifetime/3 yr warranty, 30" wide (without the extensions), lifts from 7.5" - 40" has a 32" long ramp, and is rated at 1200 lbs. They have a video on their site showing a lift with a 1500 lbs weight on it going up and down that is interesting
It is pre-drilled for a HMC vise or Condor wheel chock but I will be mounting a Wheel Dock I already own. Their extensions are not cheap. I plan to weld up some diamond plate and steel tubing if I need extensions.

If that is a bit more than you want to spend, you might also look at the APlus Lift. That is the one I was leaning towards till I found the HMC.

Last edited by jb1023; 01-19-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-19-2019, 10:29 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by Nomadmax

One other thing I'd like note. I have a standard wheel vice on my lift that has a crank and I work alone 99% of the time. The key to putting a bike on the lift by yourself is to measure the front tire width and open the vise to just that or a little smaller (now I just know how far apart to have them). Ride the bike up until the front wheel is all the way forward in the vise, kill it in gear and step off to the left holding the left handlebar. Crank the wheel vise tight and then attach the tie downs you already had laying on the deck. Reverse the process to remove.
This is exactly what I do, never a problem one man operating.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Campy Roadie (01-19-2019)
Old 01-19-2019, 10:55 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,955 Likes on 1,711 Posts

Originally Posted by speeddaddy
Don’t use extensions, they take up too much room.

Is that to keep the wife out of the man cave?

Old 01-19-2019, 04:13 PM
speeddaddy
Tourer
Received 495 Likes on 153 Posts

Haha no, she needs to bring food!

Old 01-19-2019, 05:09 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

I bought a Direct lift from a custom bike shop going out of business for $400.00. It looked like a bike had never been on it. I work alone most times so I picked up some side extensions in Ft Meyers for $200.00. Had to drive down and pick them up I also bought a Titan wheel chock that I can just ride on and get off the bike with no assistance. Went to Home Depot for some non slip stick on grit for better traction for the rear wheel. I'll be 72 in a couple months and can no longer handle the top heavy dressers like I used to. For me the side panels are a place to keep tools ect. close at hand and a little less cluttered. I have a roll around stool with adjustable height to sit on when my back takes a ****. My 50" Kubota mower fits on there just fine too. I will say if the Direct lift had not been such a buy, most likely a Handy lift would be in my shop right now. Like most here the lift table just makes the now impossible task of working on bikes for an old guy possible again. I also have a J&S jack for wheel, brakes and whatever much easier. I hope there is some info here to help others.

Old 01-20-2019, 08:58 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,401 Likes on 4,012 Posts

Originally Posted by 6113_
questions for those with extensions, are you using extensions on the ramp as well?
Yes, I had to get the ramps for my extensions....

On both softails, is not an issue for me. I can stop while driving onto the lift, anywhere along the ramp, and my feet can touch the ground

When riding my Ultra Classic up the ramp it's different. If I had to stop, for whatever reason, when the front tire is on the lift and the rear tire is on the ramp.... I would only be able to reach ground with one foot on my toes.... there's a real good chance the bike could tip over...

The results of my bike falling over at that point, would cause some pretty expensive damage. The ramps aren't cheap, but they were worth it to avoid that scenario...

It's been mentioned several times, and I'll repeat it.... Given the chance, I would sink my lift into the floor. My shop contractor offered to do it when I built my small shop, but I wasn't sure which lift I was going to use (dimensions) or exactly how I was going to arrange the shop. It would be sooo much better in sooo many ways to have the lift flush with the floor when in it's lowest position!

I'm still toying with sinking my lift. Unfortunately, I don't have the "concrete work" gene, and have yet to find someone willing to do the job...

Old 01-23-2019, 09:53 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

The uses that interest me, are for my Street Glide, Snowmobiles, and lawn mowers.
Thinking that a quick mount to attach my Condor to the table rather than a vise might work better? Bad or Good idea?
Also can anyone point me towards a lift that has 2-piece per side (split) extensions? For sleds leave the front ski sections on and remove the rears for better access to track and suspension work.
Not ever lifting over a 1000 lbs but wondering if the 1500lb versions are overall much sturdier?
The lifts with a dove tail would make loading easier but look like they would be in the way while in use. It would be easy enough to build a separate approach , Bad or Good idea?
Thinking about it.....it wouldn't be too difficult to split and support a single extension if desired.

Thanks

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 01-23-2019 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

The uses that interest me, are for my Street Glide, Snowmobiles, and lawn mowers.
Thinking that a quick mount to attach my Condor to the table rather than a vise might work better? Bad or Good idea?
Also can anyone point me towards a lift that has 2-piece per side (split) extensions? For sleds leave the front ski sections on and remove the rears for better access to track and suspension work.
Not ever lifting over a 1000 lbs but wondering if the 1500lb versions are overall much sturdier?
The lifts with a dove tail would make loading easier but look like they would be in the way while in use. It would be easy enough to build a separate approach , Bad or Good idea?
Thinking about it.....it wouldn't be too difficult to split and support a single extension if desired.

Thanks
I have the K&L MC655R, which is rated a 2,000 lbs. I can tell you it is solid as a rock. I would have to say a 1500 lb lift should be the same.

Bodacious MC (01-23-2019)

Quick Reply: Lift Table Width ?