Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ACR's and clean up.

Old 01-12-2019, 02:18 AM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member

I would think around $200? They are a slight upgrade over earlier heads and some folks like to have a set to send out to be reworked without the downtime.

Old 01-12-2019, 03:16 PM
todd-67
Elite HDF Member

I did the head swap with 103 heads with the ACR's on my 2010 when I did the motor. I didn't want to mess with sticking my hand on a hot head every time I wanted to start it.

I went all out on my motor, heads, cams, big bore. I sold the 48's that I had in it before. The dyno showed 126tq 116hp. Shop said I could pick up a few more with a different exhaust (D&D is what they wanted me to go with). The bike is a bast to ride and I haven't had any issues with durability with the bottom end. I did install an AIM VPC clutch when I did it. If you are going that far why not go all the way? The shop that did it does a lot of builds like mine and said that they have seen as many stock bikes with crank issues as they have motors that are built up. They also said that they have not seen many that had shifted in either configuration.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:47 PM
23Seven
Club Member

Originally Posted by todd-67 View Post
I did the head swap with 103 heads with the ACR's on my 2010 when I did the motor. I didn't want to mess with sticking my hand on a hot head every time I wanted to start it.

I went all out on my motor, heads, cams, big bore. I sold the 48's that I had in it before. The dyno showed 126tq 116hp. Shop said I could pick up a few more with a different exhaust (D&D is what they wanted me to go with). The bike is a bast to ride and I haven't had any issues with durability with the bottom end. I did install an AIM VPC clutch when I did it. If you are going that far why not go all the way? The shop that did it does a lot of builds like mine and said that they have seen as many stock bikes with crank issues as they have motors that are built up. They also said that they have not seen many that had shifted in either configuration.
I hate when a post is written in a such a way that it makes me think of course I need to go all the way.

I got a while to wait for the weather to be hot enough to cause a hot start issue. Iíll think about my options for a bit...

You got me thinking back to what I talked myself out of last year. FM 107 with 555ís was my thought before doing cams only.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:08 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

IMO or at least it works for me
If you put in a big enough cam for the correct CR pistons you don't need compression release.
It is that 1/2 arsed jobs that get stoick , a very high static CR.
They get HOT, Pingy, stubborn, hard starting,

Old 01-12-2019, 08:38 PM
23Seven
Club Member

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 View Post
IMO or at least it works for me
If you put in a big enough cam for the correct CR pistons you don't need compression release.
It is that 1/2 arsed jobs that get stoick , a very high static CR.
They get HOT, Pingy, stubborn, hard starting,
Did my homework on 48ís with stock 96Ē and did not see it being an issue. Most of the time it starts up okay. Not too many kick backs after the SE COMP upgrade.

Im just ready for a run on the Dyno and donít want to do it until Iím confident I can leave it alone for a couple years.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:08 PM
Kingglide549
Banned

You gits the disease!
HRH (hot rod heart) you ain't going to leave it alone anymore then I am.
Every winter is a transformation.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Thanked 5,457 Times in 3,519 Posts

... and you don't have to buy the HD harness for the ACR's just wire them through the "start switch" and you're good to go ... Just a thought

Old 01-12-2019, 11:02 PM
23Seven
Club Member

These forums are hard on the wallet!

Old 01-13-2019, 07:49 AM
Nomadmax
Ultimate HDF Member
Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,442 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry View Post
... and you don't have to buy the HD harness for the ACR's just wire them through the "start switch" and you're good to go ... Just a thought
On the 2011 Road King with the 96" engine the harness and connectors for ACRs is already there. FYI for anyone who's thinking of ACRs on a Touring bike newer than 09.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nomadmax For This Useful Post:
LQQK_OUT (01-13-2019), Uncle Larry (01-13-2019)
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM
todd-67
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 23Seven View Post

I hate when a post is written in a such a way that it makes me think of course I need to go all the way.

I got a while to wait for the weather to be hot enough to cause a hot start issue. Iíll think about my options for a bit...

You got me thinking back to what I talked myself out of last year. FM 107 with 555ís was my thought before doing cams only.
I don't want to hurt your wallet but I can say it's worth it. I didn't have a huge problem with hot starts with the 48's. Either way you go the compression releases make a difference.

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: