Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   ACR's and clean up. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1266605-acrs-and-clean-up.html)

23Seven 01-06-2019 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jshopes (Post 17941369)
Ya, but why do 90% of the work amd the money for 50% of the end result.

Pretty happy with performance already except for hot starts.

New Gasket will be needed when putting the heads back on anyway.

Maybe just do manual releases while heads are off...

Again I don’t want to push to hard on the bottom end at this time. I got 43,000 on the bike and wouldn’t mind hitting 100,000 before doing top and bottom. When that time comes I’ll go bigger and badder.

EdwardK 01-07-2019 05:14 AM

I had thought at one time about porting heads but have since stopped chasing more and quit throwing money at a bike I'm was happy with to begin with. I did have ACR's put in when it was ready for a rebuild at 112,000 and bumped it from a 96 to a 103 with cams for the first time. My indy has the machining tools and knowhow to drill them out and do a better grind on the valve seats. While doing the research about porting, I found Big Boyz Head Porting site and found their site to have some interesting reading. I like the way they describe their porting for the street and not the track. I haven't actually used them but they have pricing on their site so it will give you an idea as to how much it would cost. If you are worried about the crank, have the run out checked.

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/index.php

23Seven 01-07-2019 01:28 PM

Not really worried about the crank with my current build.

I’m more concerned with starters, batteries, and compensators.

Hot starts are my issue and I think MCR’s or ACR’s is the cure.

Now... I’ll say it again... a .030 head gasket and street port is just because the heads will be off and already at a shop so if the price is right why not??

seanl 01-07-2019 01:34 PM

I picked up a set of ultra low mileage 103 ACR heads here in the classified section for $300+ shipping in anticipation of upgrading my 96 to 107 down the road.

As discussed, other options are MCRs but I didn't want to fool with them, esp. since my 2010's factory harness will work with ACRs.

IMO the 103 ACR heads are simplest solution once they're wired up and turned on via PowerVision or some other tuning software.

As I have a 96 just like the OP, if I'm taking off the heads, it's not much more effort to replace the pistons and jugs. So I'm not planning any gasket change or headwork until I go to the 107. That being said, I don't have hot start problems as the Wood 555s are a little big for the low comp 96 so it actually starts easier than stock...I assume that wouldn't be the case with the Andrews 48s.

Just my 2 cents.

albngore 01-07-2019 06:49 PM

I have manual compression releases. They are just fine and I'll stay away from anything "automatic" if at all possible (except cars). I have no clue why some do not like MCRs. They are no trouble at all. I simply make it a habit to push them in any time I turn off the cycle. Apparently these are less expensive too--all the better. Of course, if a fellow cannot drop down to see where his finger is going, he might get burnt.

LQQK_OUT 01-07-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by albngore (Post 17943244)
II have no clue why some do not like MCRs.

It probably has something to do with one being manual and the other being automatic. Just like some people like the convenience of pushing a button of an electric starter and some people like the no frills basic kick starter.

23Seven 01-08-2019 02:32 AM

After all the back and forth chatter.... I think I'll just pull the heads, machine in some MCR's and use a .030 head gasket when reassembling.
After that I'll take it to RC Cycles for a dynotune and leave it alone until its ready to be refreshed.

It's crazy how it starts with compression releases and turns into Port/Polish which leads to Big Bore. After that it's change the cams that you liked because you've outgrown them. That turns into now you need to weld your crank because your top end is too much for a stock crank.

So anyway .030 gasket and MCR's will be worth pulling the heads.

Quote from Wild Hogs (Woody aka John Travolta) "I just wanna ride man"

FLshovelhead 01-08-2019 07:01 AM

FLshovelhead 01-08-2019 07:08 AM

I’ve got a set of low miles cylinders and 103 heads (factory milled for ACRs) sitting on a shelf in my garage. I bought them when I had my 2009, intending to do a 96 to 107 conversion. The game plan was to keep my bike on the road while the cylinders were bored and heads ported by Vee Twin Cycles. That way I wouldn’t eat any down time with the top end off my bike while the parts were getting worked on. However, I ended up trading in the bike on a M8.

The parts are just sitting around getting dusty. I also have a set of Woods lifters and 555 cams to go with it. If anybody is interested, send me a message. If it’s a fair offer (particularly if it’s a package deal for all the parts) I’m sure we can work something out.

23Seven 01-08-2019 09:13 PM

Got an email back from Jaime (Fuel Moto).

His reccomendation was to add the releases and use the .030 Gasket since I’m sticking with my 48’s. The benefits of a mild port are not going to be relevant with the 48’s. Jaime’s given me good advice so far.

End of the day I’ll have a bump in compression and start easier which is what I wanted.

Does anyone know a good shop in Nor Cal that I can take the head to? Just to install MCR’s.