Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   ACR's and clean up. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1266605-acrs-and-clean-up.html)

23Seven 01-06-2019 04:16 PM

ACR's and clean up.

I would like to add ACR's and while the heads are off the bike I might as well do some mild porting.

What kind of work would go well with 48H cams? Would .030 head gasket to bump up CR be a bad idea with 48's? Not trying to do anything big just want to put the best combo together.

I'm assuming ACR's will help with hot starts? Already upgraded to SE compensator but hot starts still have something to be desired.

Jshopes 01-06-2019 05:25 PM

I cant tell you about the head work but i can give a little about a compression release. My chainsaw has one. I know its not a bike but its still an internal combustion engine. If i forget to hit the release i can barely get it to pull. If im fully committed and do get one cycle out of it, im not getting the second. I think the release is awesome. If i think its awesome, im sure your starter will too.

23Seven 01-06-2019 06:30 PM

Releases are probably a no brainer.

After a little homework it looks like a .030 gasket would bump up my CR to around 9.5:1 which would give me a little more power and still be compatible with my 48’s. This makes sense as folks using 48’s in stock 103’s are showing good results with similar compression.

Now I need to see how much this will set me back if I do all the labor except for machining. Might just go with manual releases instead of ACR’s.

Is it just me or is there something a little cool about pushin compression releases before hitting the started? Kinda old school like adjusting the timing just right before kicking over a Panhead... maybe not that cool but still pretty cool. LOL

Jshopes 01-06-2019 07:46 PM

Lol, watch out for burns.

0ldhippie 01-06-2019 07:58 PM

It may actually be cheaper to get some used 103 heads already set up for ARCs and sell your heads than having your heads machined for them (S&S easy starts are another option). Either way I would think about more cam if ya are getting the heads worked. Talk to a few good head guys and listen to them.

23Seven 01-06-2019 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie (Post 17941032)
It may actually be cheaper to get some used 103 heads already set up for ARCs and sell your heads than having your heads machined for them (S&S easy starts are another option). Either way I would think about more cam if ya are getting the heads worked. Talk to a few good head guys and listen to them.

I didn’t want to get too crazy with building on the stock bottom end. Really just want to put less stress inside the primary on hot starts. Figured if I had the heads off I would clean em up and switch to a .030.

DTTJGlide 01-06-2019 09:49 PM

If you're that far you could have a 103 for about $400, probably a better bang for the $ than head porting, or due both. I'd just do manual CRs should be about $200, gaskets about $100 & mild porting about $500 would make a sweet running ride.

IKnowNot 01-06-2019 10:37 PM

I Know Not, but ….

Having my heads drilled for ACRs, the valves reseated, and new valve seals installed cost me about 5 bills. (no porting, but they installed the ACRs too.)

That does not include the wiring.

I chose ACRs because I don’t think it is cool to push on manual CRs, just cheaper, and it is not old school, just old technology.

But some are so used to manuals that it is second nature and would not have it any other way.
That is their choice and I am not knocking it.

If I were to do it again I would look at picking up a set of good 103 heads and send them off to be ported and new valves, springs, seals, etc. installed. That could be done with the bike still on the road.
(BTW, I had a problem with a weak stock spring which showed up a while after putting everything together, which is why I would suggest changing them while everything is apart.)

Just keep in mind, a lot of people have their bikes laid up for the winter and are doing similar things before riding season, so it make take a while for the heads to get back to you.

And BTW, as my friend kept pointing out to me when we pulled my heads to do the ACRs, those jugs come off real easy at that point …now I have a 107 ... Just saying.

23Seven 01-06-2019 10:53 PM

Damn Harley’s.

It starts with thinking about Compression Release and then the while I’m in there discussion begins.

Really just want some releases added and maybe the .030 when reassembling. Why? I want better hot starts.

Fast Forward... When this build grenades:

- Dark Horse for a bullet proof bottom end.

- 117” or Bigger / Cams / Clutch

- Port Polish Heads

I want that build to be around 120/120 and rock solid.

Until then I want just a little more because I’m not sure how much the crank can take.

Jshopes 01-06-2019 10:55 PM

Ya, but why do 90% of the work amd the money for 50% of the end result.

23Seven 01-06-2019 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jshopes (Post 17941369)
Ya, but why do 90% of the work amd the money for 50% of the end result.

Pretty happy with performance already except for hot starts.

New Gasket will be needed when putting the heads back on anyway.

Maybe just do manual releases while heads are off...

Again I don’t want to push to hard on the bottom end at this time. I got 43,000 on the bike and wouldn’t mind hitting 100,000 before doing top and bottom. When that time comes I’ll go bigger and badder.

EdwardK 01-07-2019 05:14 AM

I had thought at one time about porting heads but have since stopped chasing more and quit throwing money at a bike I'm was happy with to begin with. I did have ACR's put in when it was ready for a rebuild at 112,000 and bumped it from a 96 to a 103 with cams for the first time. My indy has the machining tools and knowhow to drill them out and do a better grind on the valve seats. While doing the research about porting, I found Big Boyz Head Porting site and found their site to have some interesting reading. I like the way they describe their porting for the street and not the track. I haven't actually used them but they have pricing on their site so it will give you an idea as to how much it would cost. If you are worried about the crank, have the run out checked.

http://www.bigboyzheadporting.com/index.php

23Seven 01-07-2019 01:28 PM

Not really worried about the crank with my current build.

I’m more concerned with starters, batteries, and compensators.

Hot starts are my issue and I think MCR’s or ACR’s is the cure.

Now... I’ll say it again... a .030 head gasket and street port is just because the heads will be off and already at a shop so if the price is right why not??

seanl 01-07-2019 01:34 PM

I picked up a set of ultra low mileage 103 ACR heads here in the classified section for $300+ shipping in anticipation of upgrading my 96 to 107 down the road.

As discussed, other options are MCRs but I didn't want to fool with them, esp. since my 2010's factory harness will work with ACRs.

IMO the 103 ACR heads are simplest solution once they're wired up and turned on via PowerVision or some other tuning software.

As I have a 96 just like the OP, if I'm taking off the heads, it's not much more effort to replace the pistons and jugs. So I'm not planning any gasket change or headwork until I go to the 107. That being said, I don't have hot start problems as the Wood 555s are a little big for the low comp 96 so it actually starts easier than stock...I assume that wouldn't be the case with the Andrews 48s.

Just my 2 cents.

albngore 01-07-2019 06:49 PM

I have manual compression releases. They are just fine and I'll stay away from anything "automatic" if at all possible (except cars). I have no clue why some do not like MCRs. They are no trouble at all. I simply make it a habit to push them in any time I turn off the cycle. Apparently these are less expensive too--all the better. Of course, if a fellow cannot drop down to see where his finger is going, he might get burnt.

LQQK_OUT 01-07-2019 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by albngore (Post 17943244)
II have no clue why some do not like MCRs.

It probably has something to do with one being manual and the other being automatic. Just like some people like the convenience of pushing a button of an electric starter and some people like the no frills basic kick starter.

23Seven 01-08-2019 02:32 AM

After all the back and forth chatter.... I think I'll just pull the heads, machine in some MCR's and use a .030 head gasket when reassembling.
After that I'll take it to RC Cycles for a dynotune and leave it alone until its ready to be refreshed.

It's crazy how it starts with compression releases and turns into Port/Polish which leads to Big Bore. After that it's change the cams that you liked because you've outgrown them. That turns into now you need to weld your crank because your top end is too much for a stock crank.

So anyway .030 gasket and MCR's will be worth pulling the heads.

Quote from Wild Hogs (Woody aka John Travolta) "I just wanna ride man"

FLshovelhead 01-08-2019 07:01 AM

FLshovelhead 01-08-2019 07:08 AM

I’ve got a set of low miles cylinders and 103 heads (factory milled for ACRs) sitting on a shelf in my garage. I bought them when I had my 2009, intending to do a 96 to 107 conversion. The game plan was to keep my bike on the road while the cylinders were bored and heads ported by Vee Twin Cycles. That way I wouldn’t eat any down time with the top end off my bike while the parts were getting worked on. However, I ended up trading in the bike on a M8.

The parts are just sitting around getting dusty. I also have a set of Woods lifters and 555 cams to go with it. If anybody is interested, send me a message. If it’s a fair offer (particularly if it’s a package deal for all the parts) I’m sure we can work something out.

23Seven 01-08-2019 09:13 PM

Got an email back from Jaime (Fuel Moto).

His reccomendation was to add the releases and use the .030 Gasket since I’m sticking with my 48’s. The benefits of a mild port are not going to be relevant with the 48’s. Jaime’s given me good advice so far.

End of the day I’ll have a bump in compression and start easier which is what I wanted.

Does anyone know a good shop in Nor Cal that I can take the head to? Just to install MCR’s.

Steelknee57 01-08-2019 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by 23Seven (Post 17946211)
Got an email back from Jaime (Fuel Moto).

His reccomendation was to add the releases and use the .030 Gasket since I’m sticking with my 48’s. The benefits of a mild port are not going to be relevant with the 48’s. Jaime’s given me good advice so far.

End of the day I’ll have a bump in compression and start easier which is what I wanted.

Does anyone know a good shop in Nor Cal that I can take the head to? Just to install MCR’s.

https://www.rccycle.com/index.htm

23Seven 01-09-2019 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Steelknee57 (Post 17946304)

Thanks that’s where I’m going for a tune anyway.

skydude426 01-11-2019 04:19 AM

If you want acr’s I would suggest buying used 103 heads that already have them. Thats what I did on an 06 Ultra but I also have a Thundermax ECM on the bike so turning on the acr function and tuning was simple. Otherwise just have manuals machined into your heads like Fuel Moto suggested.

Campy Roadie 01-11-2019 06:00 AM

As Old Hippie and others have said, getting a set of 103 heads with ACRs is your cheapest route, then do your head work. The thing to remember about manual CRs is that a hot re-start at a traffic light when stalled is going to be slower, either you take the time to push them in or the motor slow cranks as it did before. It's also possible for a manual CR to become carboned up and stick open. Auto CRs are there for every start, are controlled by the ECM, provided they don't malfunction. I chose to use S&S EZ Start gear drive cams as an alternative to both. Always there, not electronic and nothing for me to do. When adjusting push rods on EZ Starts you need to make sure the exhaust PR is off the EZ Start lobe, real easy to do.

23Seven 01-11-2019 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by skydude426 (Post 17951512)
If you want acr’s I would suggest buying used 103 heads that already have them. Thats what I did on an 06 Ultra but I also have a Thundermax ECM on the bike so turning on the acr function and tuning was simple. Otherwise just have manuals machined into your heads like Fuel Moto suggested.

I can turn them on with my PV as well.

23Seven 01-11-2019 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by Nomadmax (Post 17951610)
As Old Hippie and others have said, getting a set of 103 heads with ACRs is your cheapest route, then do your head work. The thing to remember about manual ACRs is that a hot re-start at a traffic light when stalled is going to be slower, either you take the time to push them in or the motor slow cranks as it did before. It's also possible for a manual ACR to become carboned up and stick open. Auto ACRs are there for every start, are controlled by the ECM, provided they don't malfunction. I chose to use S&S EZ Start gear drive cams as an alternative to both. Always there, not electronic and nothing for me to do. When adjusting push rods on EZ Starts you need to make sure the exhaust PR is off the EZ Start lobe, real easy to do.

I just gotta call you out on the post.

manual ACR’s and automatic ACR’s

what you are saying is manual (automatic compression releases) and automatic (automatic compression releases)

In other words ACR = Automatic Compression Release

With that said going ACR = Purchase Take Off 103 Heads which I’m having trouble finding for less than $300 and then buy the harness. Probably be into it for $400 or more with shipping.

Do MCR’s for like $150-175 parts and labor.

Not sure where I’m saving on 103 heads??

Campy Roadie 01-11-2019 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by 23Seven (Post 17951633)

what you are saying is manual (automatic compression releases) and automatic (automatic compression releases)

With that said going ACR = Purchase Take Off 103 Heads which I’m having trouble finding for less than $300 and then buy the harness. Probably be into it for $400 or more with shipping.

Thanks for the correcting my syntax on ACR and MCR. I edited my post so it doesn't confuse anyone. Good luck.

23Seven 01-11-2019 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by Nomadmax (Post 17951731)
Thanks for the correcting my syntax on ACR and MCR. I edited my post so it doesn't confuse anyone. Good luck.

No worries... Just messing with you man.

0ldhippie 01-11-2019 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by 23Seven (Post 17951633)

ya left out the part about selling your heads to make back most of the newer heads purchase price.

23Seven 01-12-2019 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie (Post 17953711)

ya left out the part about selling your heads to make back most of the newer heads purchase price.

What do ya think I can get for heads off an 09 with 45k on them?

0ldhippie 01-12-2019 02:18 AM

I would think around $200? They are a slight upgrade over earlier heads and some folks like to have a set to send out to be reworked without the downtime.

todd-67 01-12-2019 03:16 PM

I did the head swap with 103 heads with the ACR's on my 2010 when I did the motor. I didn't want to mess with sticking my hand on a hot head every time I wanted to start it.

I went all out on my motor, heads, cams, big bore. I sold the 48's that I had in it before. The dyno showed 126tq 116hp. Shop said I could pick up a few more with a different exhaust (D&D is what they wanted me to go with). The bike is a bast to ride and I haven't had any issues with durability with the bottom end. I did install an AIM VPC clutch when I did it. If you are going that far why not go all the way? The shop that did it does a lot of builds like mine and said that they have seen as many stock bikes with crank issues as they have motors that are built up. They also said that they have not seen many that had shifted in either configuration.

23Seven 01-12-2019 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by todd-67 (Post 17955229)
I did the head swap with 103 heads with the ACR's on my 2010 when I did the motor. I didn't want to mess with sticking my hand on a hot head every time I wanted to start it.

I went all out on my motor, heads, cams, big bore. I sold the 48's that I had in it before. The dyno showed 126tq 116hp. Shop said I could pick up a few more with a different exhaust (D&D is what they wanted me to go with). The bike is a bast to ride and I haven't had any issues with durability with the bottom end. I did install an AIM VPC clutch when I did it. If you are going that far why not go all the way? The shop that did it does a lot of builds like mine and said that they have seen as many stock bikes with crank issues as they have motors that are built up. They also said that they have not seen many that had shifted in either configuration.

I hate when a post is written in a such a way that it makes me think of course I need to go all the way.

I got a while to wait for the weather to be hot enough to cause a hot start issue. I’ll think about my options for a bit...

You got me thinking back to what I talked myself out of last year. FM 107 with 555’s was my thought before doing cams only.

Kingglide549 01-12-2019 08:08 PM

IMO or at least it works for me
If you put in a big enough cam for the correct CR pistons you don't need compression release.
It is that 1/2 arsed jobs that get stoick , a very high static CR.
They get HOT, Pingy, stubborn, hard starting,

23Seven 01-12-2019 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Kingglide549 (Post 17955801)
IMO or at least it works for me
If you put in a big enough cam for the correct CR pistons you don't need compression release.
It is that 1/2 arsed jobs that get stoick , a very high static CR.
They get HOT, Pingy, stubborn, hard starting,

Did my homework on 48’s with stock 96” and did not see it being an issue. Most of the time it starts up okay. Not too many kick backs after the SE COMP upgrade.

Im just ready for a run on the Dyno and don’t want to do it until I’m confident I can leave it alone for a couple years.

Kingglide549 01-12-2019 09:08 PM

You gits the disease!
HRH (hot rod heart) you ain't going to leave it alone anymore then I am.
Every winter is a transformation.

Uncle Larry 01-12-2019 09:25 PM

... and you don't have to buy the HD harness for the ACR's just wire them through the "start switch" and you're good to go ... Just a thought

23Seven 01-12-2019 11:02 PM

These forums are hard on the wallet!

Campy Roadie 01-13-2019 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry (Post 17955933)
... and you don't have to buy the HD harness for the ACR's just wire them through the "start switch" and you're good to go ... Just a thought

On the 2011 Road King with the 96" engine the harness and connectors for ACRs is already there. FYI for anyone who's thinking of ACRs on a Touring bike newer than 09.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...113cfb2cdd.jpg

todd-67 01-13-2019 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by 23Seven (Post 17955761)

I hate when a post is written in a such a way that it makes me think of course I need to go all the way.

I got a while to wait for the weather to be hot enough to cause a hot start issue. I’ll think about my options for a bit...

You got me thinking back to what I talked myself out of last year. FM 107 with 555’s was my thought before doing cams only.

I don't want to hurt your wallet but I can say it's worth it. I didn't have a huge problem with hot starts with the 48's. Either way you go the compression releases make a difference.