Go Back  Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Reload this Page >

Price of installation of Cams

Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price of installation of Cams

Old 01-12-2019, 08:50 PM
23Seven
Club Member

Originally Posted by kryingame View Post
Gang, I'm looking to compare the price that I was given for the installation of Wood's 222, pushrods and a tune. My local shop said $2K which I think is really high. The install is on a 2012 SG and I already have a dynojet.

Please, I'm not looking to compare cams, rather what you personally paid to have a shop do the install.

Thanks!

For $2K just saying.

Old 01-12-2019, 08:52 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member

Originally Posted by kryingame
Hey Don, when did we do audio 2012/2013? Seems like yesterday. Thousands into audio and I never turn it on anymore. I listen to audio using bluetooth speakers inside of my Bell Pitboss helmet. I should have saved all of that audio money and got my cams or even a big bore kit. Oh well. Live and learn.

One of my riding buddies recently bought a 2013 Road glide from a metric shop. It definitely has cams because it peels off like a beast. A group of friends did a long ride and he was ripping up the roads/highways. It was all low end torgue. Based on that, I'm assuming that he's running 222's. I can't think of any other cams which gives that much power on the low end.

I remember when you installed your 222's. Any issues or regrets? I was thinking about 555's but I think for the 2000 - 4500 rpm range which is where I live, 222's is perfect.
Only thing I regret is not doing the entire 107 big bore from the start.

Remember I'm running a 96" but the 222's transformed the bike immensely.

I'd stay away from the 555's unless at some point you plan on building up. Those perform a little better with a compression bump.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:14 PM
roost812
Senior Rider

Not to steel your tread. But who can install the 107 kit in Southern Ca. I would love to have the kit but which shop will perform the work to Fuelmoto standards.

Old 01-12-2019, 09:20 PM
sanman4ever
Club Member

Originally Posted by roost812
Not to steel your tread. But who can install the 107 kit in Southern Ca. I would love to have the kit but which shop will perform the work to Fuelmoto standards.
Not let this thread get away from the topic but that's a pretty straight forward install too.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:15 PM
Steelknee57
Road Captain

Originally Posted by roost812 View Post
https://cycledoctor.com/

Old 01-12-2019, 10:31 PM
23Seven
Club Member

Originally Posted by sanman4ever View Post
Not let this thread get away from the topic but that's a pretty straight forward install too.
Get a manual and buy or rent a couple specialty tools. Itís all about following step by step instructions. Good videoís out on YouTube as well.

Save the cash fo future upgrades.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:05 AM
e6fmf
Road Captain

Gang, I'm looking to compare the price that I was given for the installation of Wood's 222, pushrods and a tune. My local shop said $2K which I think is really high. The install is on a 2012 SG and I already have a dynojet.

Please, I'm not looking to compare cams, rather what you personally paid to have a shop do the install.

Thanks!
Have an 'indie' do it. My dealer wanted over $580.00 in labor alone. Avoid the dealer. Or, take it to your local Indian dealer, lots of HD mechanics work there.

Last edited by e6fmf; 01-13-2019 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Additional information.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:24 AM
hattitude
Elite HDF Member

Thanks!

If they are doing everything... cams, inner cam bearings, lifters, adjustable pushrods... AND a full dynotune (not just a re-tweaked map), it sounds a little bit high....

Wouldn't hurt to get another quote....

Two thoughts...

1) This time of year, many dealers are doing service labor discounts, to bring work into the shop... check around.

2) If your quote(s) is including the cost of a full dyno tune, make sure the shop/person doing the tune has a really good reputation.... a full dyno tune, by someone who is not on their game, can be much worse than useless....

Good luck and enjoy the new power.....

Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 PM
5280Ruffian
Senior Rider

A local Indie shop quoted me $1200 parts, labor, tune. This was for the Andrews 48.

Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 PM
HedleyLamarr
Road Captain

anyone have any experience with Daytona Bike Week prices? last year I already had cams in my Softail so I wasn't looking, but saw that S&S was offering free "installs". I'd imagine that's just on slip-ons and whatnot, but if it turns out that's cams and pushrods, my bank account might take a small hit this March for the Road King

Search this Thread
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: