Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sena 10s vs 20s and the HD WHIMS ??

Old 01-15-2019, 03:11 PM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
The HD brand ones also stand up to water better.
Since when? It's the same connection, period. Only the electronics inside differ between the H-D & Sena branded headsets. What's even worse, Sena has dropped the phrase "water resistant" from its description.

Last edited by FurryOne; 01-15-2019 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:25 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
I have the HD WHIMS installed on my FLHCS and have it paired to and operating fine with my Sena 10S headset.

i know that the 20S (HD Branded) is supposed to give stereo sound vs the 10S giving mono, but in trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to the 20S, I wonder if folks have performance feedback they could offer to help me round out my decision tree?
Here I go again. Rather than wear my fingerprints off typing, go to the website below, the "Tech Stuff" section has a large write-up on bike comms, including a primer. It's a lot to digest, but I've spent over $1K to find out what works and how. (except with the new GTS CarPlay)

Personally, after trying the H-D WHiM, the Sena Freewire, the Sena 30K headset, the Cardo PackTalk Bold, and a wired IMC Motorcom HS-140P, I've decided to go with the H-D WHiM and the PackTalk Bold. Yes, it's not stereo, but who gives a sh#t at 60mph? Not only that, but the Mesh works when connected to the WHiM, and H-D's 3-years out of date headsets don't have Mesh technology, and Cardo's PackTalk Bold is IP67 WATERPROOF!

The following users liked this post:
Circa58 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:33 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Since when? It's the same connection, period. Only the electronics inside differ between the H-D & Sena branded headsets. What's even worse, Sena has dropped the phrase "water resistant" from its description.
Case of not having a clue what your are talking about. Sena say theirs is Not water resistant , HD version is the seal where the UBS plugs in is the weak spot. HD had Sena modify the HD banded ones. Do your home work. SENA has never said there version was water resistant.
Not for the S20.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:34 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
Here I go again. Rather than wear my fingerprints off typing, go to the website below, the "Tech Stuff" section has a large write-up on bike comms, including a primer. It's a lot to digest, but I've spent over $1K to find out what works and how. (except with the new GTS CarPlay)

Personally, after trying the H-D WHiM, the Sena Freewire, the Sena 30K headset, the Cardo PackTalk Bold, and a wired IMC Motorcom HS-140P, I've decided to go with the H-D WHiM and the PackTalk Bold. Yes, it's not stereo, but who gives a sh#t at 60mph? Not only that, but the Mesh works when connected to the WHiM, and H-D's 3-years out of date headsets don't have Mesh technology, and Cardo's PackTalk Bold is IP67 WATERPROOF!
Cardo kicks SENA's *** in every way. What I had before. SENA was a huge mistake . I will go back to Cardo.

Old 01-15-2019, 03:36 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by Circa58
The HD Branded Sena 10S, has/is stereo correct?
Yes, but the SPH10 has been discontinued in the 2019 P&A catalog, replaced by the new "Audio Expand" headset for 1/2 helmets. ($160)

I just installed the WHIM but have not had the bike flashed yet,,, and I have Non Branded 20S and 10S already, so I guess now I will buy the HD Branded 10s or 20s, or 30s
Try your Sena 10 & 20 first to see how they sound. Yes, they'll be monaural, but like I've said, who cares at 60mph? As for the Sena 30K - until Sena makes a software upgrade, Sena's "Mesh Technology" is disabled when paired to a WHiM. H-D's headsets are still stuck with the older Bluetooth (what's new?).

PS... Sena's 20S & 30K speakers suck. I substituted UClear Digitals for better sound.

Last edited by FurryOne; 01-15-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Circa58 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 03:53 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Let’s be clear....the ONLY Bluetooth device that will give stereo sound when interfacing with the H-D WHIMS is the H-D branded SENA 20S. Period.

There are a multitude of Bluetooth devices that will give you stereo when paired with your phone. The SENA 10S will not produce stereo with WHIMS....hence my conundrum of sticking with mono or upgrading to the 20S.

BTW, I agree completely with the assessment of UClear Speakers. Much better than SENA speakers.

Circa58 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:04 PM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

Crazy, I have 2 of the 20s, 1 of the 20 Evo and one of the SPH10 over ear Sena.

I am really tempted to add an AUX jack and then just use my WIRED in ear SHUR ear buds that are excellent quality, and I wonder if my in ear Bose wireless earbuds would connect too?

Old 01-15-2019, 04:20 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
Let’s be clear....the ONLY Bluetooth device that will give stereo sound when interfacing with the H-D WHIMS is the H-D branded SENA 20S. Period.

That's not according to the 2018 P&A book - the H-D branded SPH10, 20S & 20S EVO, and the new "Audio Expand" headsets will.

There are a multitude of Bluetooth devices that will give you stereo when paired with your phone.
True - if you just pair the headsets with the phone you'll get Stereo, Map directions, Siri, Phone calls, and even Audio-books! If you pair your phone to the Boom! System, and your headset to a WHiM, you'll loose Siri and Map directions. If you have a Cardo PackTalk, you can pair the phone to the PackTalk, and the PackTalk to the WHiM and retain Siri & phone Map Directions while still being able to do voice commands to the Boom! System.

The SENA 10S will not produce stereo with WHIMS....hence my conundrum of sticking with mono or upgrading to the 20S.
The Sena 20S and H-D 20S EVO both use regular Bluetooth protocols, which limit the number of connections to other riders to [maybe] 2 at most, even though they advertise 8 (real world evidence). The latest technology is Mesh, which supports up to 15 [maybe] riders, and has self healing connections. H-D doesn't have it, Sena's 30K does, but it's disabled when paired to the WHiM at this time. Cardo's PackTalk Bold has it (called DMC), and it works even when paired to the WHiM.

BTW, I agree completely with the assessment of UClear Speakers. Much better than SENA speakers.
Cardo's speakers are even better, and Cardo has teamed up with JBL for even better speakers this Spring. (Still Monaural when paired to the WHiM)

Circa58 (01-15-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:26 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by Circa58
Crazy, I have 2 of the 20s, 1 of the 20 Evo and one of the SPH10 over ear Sena.

I am really tempted to add an AUX jack and then just use my WIRED in ear SHUR ear buds that are excellent quality, and I wonder if my in ear Bose wireless earbuds would connect too?
I unscrewed the speaker connection on my 30K's (same mount as the Sena/H-D 20's), and plugged the UClear Digitals into the AUX output port that's right next to the boom mic connection.

smitty901 (01-18-2019)
Old 01-15-2019, 04:27 PM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

Actually I dont want to use the Sena at all... just an AUX to the Boom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Sena 10s vs 20s and the HD WHIMS ??