Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sena 10s vs 20s and the HD WHIMS ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 05:26 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by FurryOne
That's not according to the 2018 P&A book - the H-D branded SPH10, 20S & 20S EVO, and the new "Audio Expand" headsets will.

True - if you just pair the headsets with the phone you'll get Stereo, Map directions, Siri, Phone calls, and even Audio-books! If you pair your phone to the Boom! System, and your headset to a WHiM, you'll loose Siri and Map directions. If you have a Cardo PackTalk, you can pair the phone to the PackTalk, and the PackTalk to the WHiM and retain Siri & phone Map Directions while still being able to do voice commands to the Boom! System.

The Sena 20S and H-D 20S EVO both use regular Bluetooth protocols, which limit the number of connections to other riders to [maybe] 2 at most, even though they advertise 8 (real world evidence). The latest technology is Mesh, which supports up to 15 [maybe] riders, and has self healing connections. H-D doesn't have it, Sena's 30K does, but it's disabled when paired to the WHiM at this time. Cardo's PackTalk Bold has it (called DMC), and it works even when paired to the WHiM.

Cardo's speakers are even better, and Cardo has teamed up with JBL for even better speakers this Spring. (Still Monaural when paired to the WHiM)
I attended an H-D workshop conducted by a Sena dealer. He confirmed that the Branded 20S is the ONLY device that when interfaced with the WHIMS will give stereo sound. He had for lecture and display all up to date Sena devices and said emphatically that they will all pair with the WHIMS, but will NOT do stereo. That was a clear marketing strategy by Sena that HD went along with. That’s the only source (other than general knowledge I have picked up along the way) that I have.

I have my phone paired to the bike and my 10S to the WHIMS. You are right....I don’t have Siri, but I do have map directions. If I connect to CarPlay, I have audio map directions from Google Maps and Apple Maps. May even have Siri on CarPlay.

Last edited by cmhdwg09; 01-15-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 06:47 AM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

I think I will wait for the 30K and just use my mono 20 Evo until the 30K is available in the HD branded form.

I only use the Sena when I am riding with my son or someone that has a Sena, otherwise, I just go with the radio.

Old 01-16-2019, 09:33 AM
FurryOne
Road Master
Received 127 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by smitty901
Case of not having a clue what your are talking about.
Really? See below.

Do your home work. SENA has never said there version was water resistant..
From the Sena box... I see the words "water resistant"... don't you?

Last edited by FurryOne; 01-16-2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old 01-16-2019, 10:01 AM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09

I attended an H-D workshop conducted by a Sena dealer. He confirmed that the HD Branded 20S is the ONLY device that when interfaced with the WHIMS will give stereo sound.

I wonder who makes H-D's new 1/2 helmet wireless headset? That's definitely a stereo headset.

He had for lecture and display all up to date Sena devices and said emphatically that they will all pair with the WHIMS, but will NOT do stereo. That was a clear marketing strategy by Sena that HD went along with.
My understanding of this matter is that it was a stipulation from H-D, not Sena. The H-D headsets use the aptX codec, while Sena's headsets use the SBC codec. According to the aptX manufacturer, if it doesn't find an aptX codec on the other end it will gracefully fall back to be compatible with SBC in stereo, which H-D's WHiM doesn't do - intentionally.

I have my phone paired to the bike and my 10S to the WHIMS. You are right....I don’t have Siri, but I do have map directions. If I connect to CarPlay, I have audio map directions from Google Maps and Apple Maps. May even have Siri on CarPlay.
The GTS system and CarPlay adds a whole new element. I have a '17 SGS, so I have to deal with it's idiosyncrasies.

Old 01-16-2019, 12:44 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

I wonder who makes H-D's new 1/2 helmet wireless headset? That's definitely a stereo headset.

My understanding of this matter is that it was a stipulation from H-D, not Sena. The H-D headsets use the aptX codec, while Sena's headsets use the SBC codec. According to the aptX manufacturer, if it doesn't find an aptX codec on the other end it will gracefully fall back to be compatible with SBC in stereo, which H-D's WHiM doesn't do - intentionally.

The GTS system and CarPlay adds a whole new element. I have a '17 SGS, so I have to deal with it's idiosyncrasies.
It is definitely a stereo headset when paired with a phone or audio device, but NOT when paired to the WHIMS. Again, call Sena.....don’t take my word for it.....as of January 16, 2019, the Sena 20S Evo, branded to HD is the ONLY device that when used through the WHIMS, will provide stereo sound.

Old 01-16-2019, 04:02 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

It is definitely a stereo headset when paired with a phone or audio device, but NOT when paired to the WHIM.

Sorry, but I was referring to Harley's new(ish) #76000835 Audio Expand 1/2 helmet headset. ($160) It replaces the old H-D model 10.

Again, call Sena.....don’t take my word for it.....as of January 16, 2019, the Sena 20S Evo, branded to HD is the ONLY device that when used through the WHIMS, will provide stereo sound.
Why are you trying to tell me something I've already stated?

Last edited by FurryOne; 01-16-2019 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:04 PM
Down South
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,126 Likes on 1,531 Posts

Sorry, but I was referring to Harley's new(ish) #76000835 Audio Expand 1/2 helmet headset. ($160)
I just checked the one I have. It's made by Sena. I had to pull one of the muffs off to find it.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 PM
pritzent
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is the WHIMS needed for the 2019 BOOM! GTS?

I have the HD WHIMS installed on my FLHCS and have it paired to and operating fine with my Sena 10S headset.

i know that the 20S (HD Branded) is supposed to give stereo sound vs the 10S giving mono, but in trying to decide whether or not to upgrade to the 20S, I wonder if folks have performance feedback they could offer to help me round out my decision tree?
I have purchased a 2019 FLHTK with the new BOOM! GTS (YEA!!) and it says the BOOM! GTS already has Bluetooth. Since the SENAs connect via Bluetooth, is the WHIMS really necessary with the new 2019 BOOM! GTS?

Thanks!

Last edited by pritzent; 01-16-2019 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by Down South
I just checked the one I have. It's made by Sena. I had to pull one of the muffs off to find it.
Thanks! I was pretty sure it would be, but wasn't certain.

Old 01-16-2019, 08:50 PM
FurryOne
Road Master

Originally Posted by pritzent
I have purchased a 2019 FLHTK, the BOOM! GTS (YEA!!) and it says the BOOM! GTS already has Bluetooth. Since the SENAs connect via Bluetooth, is the WHIMS necessary with the new 2019 BOOM! GTS?
Yes it is. The GTS does not support the Bluetooth profiles for Headsets (HSP), and probably a few others needed to use a wireless headset, like the Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP). The GTS only supports Bluetooth pairing to a phone (and maybe a GPS - unknown).

Quick Reply: Sena 10s vs 20s and the HD WHIMS ??