Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   03 road king classic (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1267837-03-road-king-classic.html)

BubbaHFD 01-17-2019 07:55 AM

03 road king classic

Going to look at an 03 RK Classic today, 25k on the clock, looks real nice and clean in pics, ghost flame red paint, owner says it has been dealer maintained but has not had the tensioner update. Wasn’t aware of the issue apparently. A local shop says he can do the hydrolic kit for about a grand or just under, is it worth it if I can grab this bike for 5k? Has a tour pack maybe upgraded bars and some chrome too. He got it from a relative so he is not sure about the bars.

Tonebender 01-17-2019 08:13 AM

All day. I keep vacillating between a great deal on a used RK with low mileage vs buying a new one. I am getting more money conscious in my old age as in hanging onto more of my money. Upgrade the cam tensioner and you'll have a solid ride for many miles. IMHO

hbsoldier3 01-17-2019 08:19 AM

I have an 04 RK, and put a S&S 510 gear drive cam set in at 15,000. Bike has 87,000 miles on it now with no issues.

grbrown 01-17-2019 08:23 AM

If you do buy it, don't start buying new parts such as a cam tensioner upgrade kit until you have looked inside! There is a real possibility the original owner knew all about the problem and has already fixed it!

ieatchickens 01-17-2019 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 17966254)
If you do buy it, don't start buying new parts such as a cam tensioner upgrade kit until you have looked inside! There is a real possibility the original owner knew all about the problem and has already fixed it!

Well he did mention that the tensioner was never upgraded. :icon_denk:

Man I hate correcting grbrown. I'm going to go to Harley Forum hell now.

Tonebender 01-17-2019 09:35 AM

A friend of mine bought a nice used Street Glide. He purchased the tensioner upgrade kit as a preemptive move, opened it up and discovered it had already been converted to gears.

BubbaHFD 01-17-2019 09:56 AM

I believe he is the second owner, so that is a possibility. It does have a look that I like a lot, that red ghost flame paint is crack to a fireman!

touchdown 01-17-2019 09:57 AM

Why fix a problem that's not there ? cam tensioner will give plenty of warning before it needs replaced.

grbrown 01-17-2019 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by ieatchickens (Post 17966443)
Well he did mention that the tensioner was never upgraded. :icon_denk:

Man I hate correcting grbrown. I'm going to go to Harley Forum hell now.

Forgiven! You'll be just fine, I have special contacts...… :icon_beerchug:

It would be wise to check what is in there before buying anything!

BubbaHFD 01-17-2019 10:26 AM

What kind of warning? Specific noise I should listen for?

BubbaHFD 01-17-2019 10:28 AM

If i do get it i plan on taking it to a shop and having it gone over, I’d be a fool if I didn’t, l usually know my limits, but not always ��

Nokkon Wud 01-17-2019 01:03 PM

Over 160K on my 03 RKC and still running strong. Did Gear to Gear at 20K I believe.
Bought it in 05 with 5K. Been a good bike.

Kingface 01-17-2019 02:09 PM

For $5,000 and if it’s in great shape....all day every day. The 88 is a great motor that tend to get overlooked because of the tensioners. Have someone look at it and see the condition of the outside and inside tensioner. If it wasn’t ridden hard you can get a lot of miles out of those. No need to fix what isn’t broke (or near broke). Even if you put a grand into it right off the bat then $6000 for that bike is still solid....especially with a tour pack. If you don’t want it....let me know, I’ll grab it!!!

crazytown 01-17-2019 02:22 PM

For $5k I would seriously consider it. Like others have said, before you do anything to it, have it checked over and see what's been done and what hasn't. Then you can make a solid plan on what you want to do.

I have on '03 Road King Classic that I bought with about 40k on the clock. I changed the tensioners out myself later that same year, and have had no issues. The TC 88 is a solid motor, and will do just fine. Other than the tensioners, I have just (generally) replaced wear items, and that bike keeps on truckin'.

groupw 01-17-2019 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by BubbaHFD (Post 17966626)
What kind of warning? Specific noise I should listen for

........ in 3rd, anywhere from 3200-3750 rpm, you'll get a faint (at 1st) repetitive sound like a credit card swiping ... jk
........ i changed mine on the '05 @ 47k, they needed it
..... i don't believe the Classic came from the factory w/ghost flamed red paint, the original owner may have done some other things when it was apart for recoloration.

crazytown 01-17-2019 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by groupw (Post 17967242)
..... i don't believe the Classic came from the factory w/ghost flamed red paint, the original owner may have done some other things when it was apart for recoloration.

+1 on that.

BubbaHFD 01-17-2019 06:06 PM

Road king pic

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...0d77def6b.jpeg
RKC 03
Owner seemed to think it may have been painted. Needed new grips, left was loose, set didnt match. States cruise tends play catch up, no experience on this end with that. Danny grey seat was nice, tour pack was nice. One thumb sized spot of clear coat on the front fender peeling, a few bolt heads here and there had a little rust, it is an 03 after all. One thing I’m learning is that pictures always look better! The one issue is that the original speedo died and was replaced with one of those tach combo units, only it started at zero. He said it was done at an independent shop, not sure why they would do that. His title from 2012 says about 8300 miles, the new speedo says a bit over 14k, he estimates the bike at 28k, no mention of that in his ad. Seemed like a nice ride, big difference from the sporty. Boy i like those floor boards. Sure is heavy though, new riding style for sure. Certainly wasn’t perfect, but nice enough for me, I’m really more concerned about getting the tensioner update resolved or checked out. Also, the DMV in CT is awful, if the mileage makes registration or title a hassle, that alone might make me pass.

Down South 01-17-2019 07:33 PM

Still sounds like a good deal to me. I've got a bit more in my 02 RK than 5K.

Eastcoast Jim 01-17-2019 07:42 PM

Pretty Bike - If you haven't confirmed that the tensioners have been done, make that a high priority - They may be OK but many of the spring tensioners have failed before 25K . Get in there & replace them. If you keep the spring loaded tensioners use the Cyco tensioners. They are a big improvement over the originals

JRose609 01-18-2019 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by BubbaHFD (Post 17967695)

very nice looking bike!

Kingface 01-18-2019 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by BubbaHFD (Post 17967695)

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...0d77def6b.jpeg
RKC 03
Owner seemed to think it may have been painted. Needed new grips, left was loose, set didnt match. States cruise tends play catch up, no experience on this end with that. Danny grey seat was nice, tour pack was nice. One thumb sized spot of clear coat on the front fender peeling, a few bolt heads here and there had a little rust, it is an 03 after all. One thing I’m learning is that pictures always look better! The one issue is that the original speedo died and was replaced with one of those tach combo units, only it started at zero. He said it was done at an independent shop, not sure why they would do that. His title from 2012 says about 8300 miles, the new speedo says a bit over 14k, he estimates the bike at 28k, no mention of that in his ad. Seemed like a nice ride, big difference from the sporty. Boy i like those floor boards. Sure is heavy though, new riding style for sure. Certainly wasn’t perfect, but nice enough for me, I’m really more concerned about getting the tensioner update resolved or checked out. Also, the DMV in CT is awful, if the mileage makes registration or title a hassle, that alone might make me pass.

Beautiful bike!! Why have you not bought it yet!!!??? ;-). I seriously wouldn't be too concerned about anything at that price, especially since you said you have seen the service records. Get the tensioners looked at and don't look back. The addition of a matching tour pack is an awesome upgrade. Plus...if you don't use that tour pack, you can get a good dollar amount for it in a sale which would pay for a chunk of a tensioner upgrade. It's a beauty of a bike. That red must definitely be playing up to the Firefighter in you!!!!!

BubbaHFD 01-18-2019 10:43 AM

It does look perfect in the photos, it does not in person, still nice for an 03.Trying to work on a number of clean up item costs vs. a bike thats good to go. There was a sound from the front at driveway speed, maybe from the new brakework or a bearing or something up front, did not notice it on the road. Some nuts and bolts had a little rust, shouldn’t be to hard to do that, grips need to go. Tail pipe tips are flaking and need changing. Has one key fob, does not do anything, do I even need it? Says the cruise surges to catch up to speed, us that common? Having never owned a king before I am leary, especially with the unknown mileage factor, if I was a bike mechanic doing a build I think this would be a no brainer. So many for sale out there, wise for me to be cautious.

BubbaHFD 01-18-2019 03:03 PM

After a talk with the local indy shop about cost of the tensioner upgrade i took a pass, gonna hope the taxman is good to me and look for one that has been done or 07 up. Anyone who is interested can check the hartford ct craigslist for the ad, thank you all for the responses.

Down South 01-18-2019 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by BubbaHFD (Post 17969074)
Has one key fob, does not do anything, do I even need it?

If it is the same as my 02, no you don't need the fob. Mine only had one fob and the battery was dead in it. I replaced the battery and discovered it indeed worked by activating the security system. I had to get online to figure out how to disable it. Mine has a factory serine and it's loud.
It's a manual security system. You manually turn it on and off with the fob.

A 16 yr old bike is going to have some cosmetic stuff that you can live with or repair. I've got a little rust on my 02 plus a few small dings. Plus my exhaust tips are flaking too. I decided to live with it. I still think you are letting a good deal slip away. Have you tried to talk him down?

BubbaHFD 01-18-2019 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Down South (Post 17970068)
If it is the same as my 02, no you don't need the fob. Mine only had one fob and the battery was dead in it. I replaced the battery and discovered it indeed worked by activating the security system. I had to get online to figure out how to disable it. Mine has a factory serine and it's loud.
It's a manual security system. You manually turn it on and off with the fob.

A 16 yr old bike is going to have some cosmetic stuff that you can live with or repair. I've got a little rust on my 02 plus a few small dings. Plus my exhaust tips are flaking too. I decided to live with it. I still think you are letting a good deal slip away. Have you tried to talk him down?

I’m willing to keep looking, going to try and find a bike that has been updated or 07 or newer, just ran into a guy at my job selling his 02 classic asking 5.5k in the spring, so there out there. I have some time till spring.