Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control don't work - suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2019, 07:23 AM
*Road King*
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did this when I changed handlebar levers. try pushing OUT on the front brake lever when activating cruise to see it will engage and stay on, if it does, take apart the switch housing and make sure everything is put together tightly against each other. If I would just slightly the front brake lever, cruise would deactivate....I bet this is your issue.

Old 01-18-2019, 08:20 AM
Sasquatch_VNV
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cncmike
I have had many problems in the past with my cruise on my 2009 and understand the system well and may be able to help. Your orange cruise light in the tach should be on at all times when the ignition switch is on and the rocker switch is switched on. If it is off you have lost power somewhere before it even gets to the orange light or the handlebar control. If the orange light was on but it wouldn't engage (turn green) or wouldn't stay engaged then you could worry about the brake light switches, clutch switch or the roll off of the throttle. But it could still be a short in the wire harness. The fact that the rocker switch light is on means the fuse is good. So you will need to start troubleshooting the wiring harnesses. You will need a manual to do this.
You can begin to troubleshoot by understanding the wiring path because there is over six feet of wire and four wiring harness connections just to get the power to that orange light. Power flows from the fuse through the wire to the rocker switch. If it lights up you have power to that point. Then the power runs back to the ECM. Then other wires send the signal from the ECM to the orange light, hand control switches and to the throttle body. If there is a break anywhere in the wire or if a harness connection is corroded you will not have power to the orange light.
On my bike the orange light would come on but would flicker. If I engaged the cruise it would turn green but wouldn't stay on. I spent a long time chasing the short and then decided to bypass most of the harness to remove problem areas. I have never understood the reason for the rocker switch to exist so I bypassed it. I ran a 12" wire directly from the fuse to the ECM bypassing all of that extra mess. I haven't had a problem since. If you get to the point where that sounds like a solution to you I will explain what wires to connect.
Thanks Mike for that theory of operation help
Here is my plan:
1. Disconnect the Brake switch from the circuit before chasing wires
2. Find the problem and post what it was for others in the future
3. Then put in the mod that you mentioned because it simplifies the system and it was how my 14 Ultra worked.

Would you mind double checking my reading of the wiring diagram?
and since I haven't found it yet, does the Electrical Manual gives some hint at the connector locations?

Power comes from the Accessory fuse and goes to pin 5 of Connector 1B
Out pin 5 of 1A to pin 4 of 105A then out pin 4 of 105B to the Cruise on/off switch (*and the Brake Switch)
With the Cruise Control on/off switch “ENGAGED”, out to pin 5 pin 5 of 105B and out through pin 5 of 105A
To pin 15 of 1A and out pin 1 of 1B then over to pin 35 of the ECM as the Cruise Enable signal
Out of the ECM as Serial Data on pin 69 of 78A/B to pin 13 of 1B out on pin 13 of 1A
and on pin 2 of 108B and out pin 2 of connector 108A at the Tachometer

Old 01-18-2019, 08:46 AM
cncmike
Road Master
Received 235 Likes on 154 Posts

I don’t have time to check all of that until after work. But it looks like you’ve found the path in your wiring diagram. I ended up running a wire from the output of the fuse to the cruise enable wire of the ECM to bypass all of the rest. I cut into the wire on the ECM harness connector so that it would still unplug with the rest of the harness. Before doing that you could check the wiring to see if you have a bad rocker switch or something. Remember I had the orange light, it just wouldn’t stay on all of the time. So I knew I had a small short but could never find it.