Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why all the apparent problems finding neutral?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2019, 03:00 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts
Default Why all the apparent problems finding neutral?

I have never had a problem finding neutral whether the cycle is hot, cold, standing still, rolling--and I took off the heel lever long ago. Is there something wrong with the newer cycles? This finding-neutral subject seems to arise regularly, so I am curious.

Now true, sometimes if I have a foot "spasm" and toe-up or down too forcefully, I will go into second toeing up or first toeing down; then again, I know everyone has experienced this. This has nothing to do with the motorcycle. It is my own operator error.

I have used Red-Line primary oil for years, but I doubt this actually makes any difference; I am almost certain it makes no difference even though, of course, there is much discussion here on oils--and I do NOT want to induce any rants about oils here. Any observations other than those about your favorite primary oils are welcome.

Thank you.

And these neutral problems cannot all be regular operator error either. Just curious about why all the neutral fussing.

Old 01-30-2019, 03:33 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Much ado about nothing.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:04 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Neutral

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Much ado about nothing.
Well, if it's you that can't find neutral, then maybe you would look at it differently.
There are many reasons it happens...linkage, technique, engine heat, and most of the HDs I've had, don't shift into first or neutral well unless rolling.
Had a Road Glide Ultra that had true duals install by the previous owner. When he traded it in he removed the mufflers that went with the true duals and put the stock mufflers back on. Finding neutral was easy until it warmed up in the summer. At that point it was a crap shoot to find it... I put a new exhaust, head pipes and mufflers, and changed the linkage to heim joints and steel rod. After that, I never had another problem and gained low end torque with the new pipes.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:07 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,271 Likes on 11,143 Posts

My M8 always sifts into Beutal with ease. Not so much on my ‘12 TriGlide. Seems to me there is more platecdrag on the TCs. Or more sens8tive to fluid level, adjustment, and technique. The biggest PITA on the TriGlide is that it needs to be in neutral to put it in reverse. I many times have to shut off the motor, put it in reverse, turn the motor back on, then back up. On the flat 8ts easier to Fred Flintstone 8t.

Last edited by TriGeezer; 01-30-2019 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:13 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

If you have a clutch cable it may need adjusting. I'm having a problem with neutral myself but my shift shaft linkage is shot.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:36 PM
Haarley
Road Master
Received 387 Likes on 196 Posts

Finding neutral on a Harley tourer is a pain. When I get on my BMW, finding neutral is like finding a parking space in an office park on Christmas Day.

The following users liked this post:
sailmotion (02-01-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 04:39 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 625 Likes on 453 Posts

The OP's entry contains the reason he is asking, he has had that bike a long time, may not have bought it new. 99% of the complaints involve new bikes and new Harley owners. The neutral detent is easy to "pop' through. Add in new bike with stiff transmission, stiff shift linkage and a rider new to Harley and there is some loosening up AND a learning curve involved. Usually by 10,000 miles everything has loosened up AND the rider has mastered the feel and developed the skill needed to find neutral on the first try MOST of the time. An improperly adjust clutch or shift linkage in need of lubrication or repair may make the problem continue long past 10,000 miles.

Old 01-30-2019, 04:42 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Alot of this problem is caused by the primary being overfilled. And if you have a cable, a clutch adjustment.

The following 3 users liked this post by hardheaded:
bigal51 (02-04-2019), perki48 (01-31-2019), Peter Griffin (01-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 04:46 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,344 Likes on 1,550 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
99% of the complaints involve new bikes and new Harley owners. .
#1 Reason. Other than that it's about proper adjustment, but then again I've never experienced any real issue.

Old 01-30-2019, 05:14 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

Check this......

The following users liked this post:
perki48 (01-31-2019)

Quick Reply: Why all the apparent problems finding neutral?