Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Regrets/I wish...

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 09:03 AM
Grand HDF Member

Received 5,364 Likes on 2,224 Posts
Old 01-31-2019, 09:12 AM
polbit
Tourer
Received 91 Likes on 65 Posts

Buying a Road King if I'm being honest. It was just too big of a bike for me, and style didn't speak to me. I ended up not riding as much, until I realized, it's time to make the change.

Now got a Sport Glide, and it's pretty much perfect for me. Well, except the cornering clearance, but not much I can do there...

Old 01-31-2019, 09:14 AM
Airborne06
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
Based on your current ride and what you know now vs. when you bought your bike, what changes would you have made?

I ride a 2012 SG. I bought this bike with and for my dad back on July 3, 2012 . I rode my bike and he rode his old WG (from the 70's) to ST. Louis to his parents grave. He passed a few months after that from cancer. Anyway, I knew I wanted a touring bike, thus the reason for the purchase. Years later, I'm no longer in love with the SG. I put alot of $$$ into it for silly reasons, such as audio. I haven't even turned the damn thing on in over a year.

Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have went with a Road King. Stripped down of all the BS and just a strong riding beast. I've been eyeing a 2017 at a local shop that they're selling for $15,900 but I don't know if I want to start all over (exhaust, apes, etc). I'm about to put cams in my current ride. But, again, I wish I would have followed what he suggested way back then in keeping it simple.

Sorry guys, just sitting here thinking of the old mean bastard. lol.
What changes would I have made? Hmmm. Interesting question. Besides dumping tens of thousands of dollars on bikes, seats, windshields, exhausts, audio upgrades, lighting, and just plain esoteric crap.....None! I wasted tons of money, but had fun doing it. If I had to change one thing about my current Harley (17 Limited), I may have gone for the Limited Low. That would have saved me money on handlebars (the Helibars alone were 800 bucks), different seats, and allowed me to really flat foot it at stops. Other than that, it's all good!

Old 01-31-2019, 09:42 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I can understand thinking regret on expensive bikes. It cost a lot to find that perfect ride.

I have become an expert shopper and seller on Craigslist in my quest for the perfect bike. I haven't found it yet, but I have since owned, 3 RKCs, 1 RK Custom, 2 Ultra limiteds, a SG (love that bike), Evo Custom, FJR, and a Concours. Been looking for a BMW, but good deals are very few and far between.

Anyway, the only money I lost was on my one new purchase. Buy a slightly used good deal and sell for it for just a little more. Meanwhile ride.

No regrets.

Beary

Old 01-31-2019, 09:47 AM
Goose_NC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,204 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Perform T-CLOCK inspection. I didn't during the buying from the owner, I got distracted. So I had to pay for things I missed. Like replacing the belt for one. I probably could have negotiated a better price. Shame on me. But all is well now. I like my 2002 Ultra Classic. Suits me just fine.

Old 01-31-2019, 11:36 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,665 Likes on 2,675 Posts

I did just the opposite. I bought a used Road King Classic as my first bike because to me that was the perfect Harley Davidson. I love taking long rides. I suck with directions and I love music. Those three things encouraged me to trade the Road King in on a SGS in 2015. I'm happy with my decision. Motorcycling is many things to many different people. Having a GPS that I can plan long trip routes on easily and a stereo integrated into the bike, that I can just lock and walk away from makes life much easier for me. No stripping everything off the bars, unplugging earbuds, etc.

Both are great bikes and I've enjoyed many miles on both. If you don't use all of the crap on the Street Glide, trade it. The Road King is a better looking bike all day, IMO. I just like the creature comforts of my SGS.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:23 PM
Redbank
Cruiser
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Every bike I have bought (4 bikes in 14 years) I thought this was the one I would keep, but then the new models would hit the showroom floor and it would have more power, different paint colors, better handling, extra gear, bigger tank, better radio etc etc etc. My last decision I had when trading in my 12 RGU (because of electrical gremlins) was either a SGS or a Limited Low. Ended up with the SGS and while it has been a great bike I do have about $4k in extras to make work for me, If I would have went with the limited low I would have about the same money into it but I think it would have been a better bike because I do miss lowers and a lockable trunk. I know I can buy them for my SG but that is only more money and my canvas lowers and soft trunk bag does the job.

I have my SGS almost paid off and for the first time in 14 years I will not have a bike payment and that sounds better to me than any new model Harley has. So while doubt creeps into my mind the money staying in my pocket will be nice which is cause for me to think I am not regretting my decision any longer.

Old 01-31-2019, 12:26 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

My last Harley was a 2011 Road King Classic. Loved that bike, got tired of the payment and sold it. If I ever bought another Harley it would be a Road King.

Old 01-31-2019, 01:38 PM
SBRob
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,091 Likes on 1,634 Posts

I have no regrets...

Old 01-31-2019, 01:53 PM
YZR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,621 Likes on 829 Posts

I would have bought mine a lot sooner than I did!

Quick Reply: Regrets/I wish...