Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Tour Pack Trim (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1269964-tour-pack-trim.html)

CyGlide 02-04-2019 11:08 AM

Tour Pack Trim

1 Attachment(s)
Just got my new tour pack for my 2013 Streetglide. Almost had to give Harley my first born for it. Does anyone know if there are any aftermarket options for the trim on the bottom? Everything on my bike is blacked out so this chrome will stick out horribly. I pulled it off as I was just going to get it powdercoated black with some other bits and pieces that I need done, but I found that it is plastic so that's a no go. What are the options? Don't really want to do the light kit very bad.

Kind of disappointing that for the price these tour packs cost they can't even use real metal for the trim and they use crap hinges and latches for them.

This is the piece I'm talking about.
Attachment 619106

craigffb 02-04-2019 12:30 PM

Paint them black or replace with running lights.

mikes300 02-04-2019 01:11 PM

I just pulled mine off skuffed them up and painted them black, came out great. I also had to buy the black hinge kit too, you should just be able to order it with either IMO

Neggy ZRXOA 5248 02-04-2019 01:18 PM

degrease the part ( alcohol works) scuff with a white scotch bright pad, go to an auto body supply shop get a can of adhesion promoter and a sample card of a code 99 paint ( generally a straight black with no tints... many black paints have additional colors such as blue and brown) or bring the tour back with you to match it to a color chip.

I'd be inclined to have the supply house mix me an aerosol can of paint, single stage, but you could do base/clear if you were ambitious.

make sure the part is not cold, put the cans in warm water after shaking and let it warm up a couple of degrees, WARM not hot, like under 100 degrees, then shake the crap out of it again and shoot the part... first pass being just a dusting to establish bonding and then heavier coats for coverage letting them flash off between coats.

CyGlide 02-04-2019 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248 (Post 18010917)
degrease the part ( alcohol works) scuff with a white scotch bright pad, go to an auto body supply shop get a can of adhesion promoter and a sample card of a code 99 paint ( generally a straight black with no tints... many black paints have additional colors such as blue and brown) or bring the tour back with you to match it to a color chip.

I'd be inclined to have the supply house mix me an aerosol can of paint, single stage, but you could do base/clear if you were ambitious.

make sure the part is not cold, put the cans in warm water after shaking and let it warm up a couple of degrees, WARM not hot, like under 100 degrees, then shake the crap out of it again and shoot the part... first pass being just a dusting to establish bonding and then heavier coats for coverage letting them flash off between coats.

Thats probably what I値l end up doing. My bike is midnight pearl so I知 matching that (cost effectively) will be difficult. If I can find a paint that matches my gloss powder coat that would probably be the best option I guess. I知 surprised no one makes anything aftermarket.

craigffb 02-04-2019 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by CyGlide (Post 18011732)

Thats probably what I値l end up doing. My bike is midnight pearl so I知 matching that (cost effectively) will be difficult. If I can find a paint that matches my gloss powder coat that would probably be the best option I guess. I知 surprised no one makes anything aftermarket.

Like I said, you can put the side running lights on it. Drill a couple holes and re route the harness that痴 already under the left side cover and plug em in. Super easy.

grbrown 02-05-2019 11:27 AM

The entire thing is plastic, so what's your point?! Either paint the chrome bits or replace them with smoked lights. Simples!

CyGlide 02-06-2019 11:39 AM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 18013133)
The entire thing is plastic, so what's your point?! Either paint the chrome bits or replace them with smoked lights. Simples!

My point was that I wanted to know if anyone knew of any after market options. I think it sucks when you drop $1000 on a part and they use cheap fake chrome plastic on it. Simples. You don't gotta be a dick about it.

Sixgunjr 02-06-2019 11:47 AM

Yup, just went through this! It痴 like the motor company stealing an extra couple hundred bucks from you. Totally BS!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...5d903223d.jpeg

CyGlide 02-06-2019 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sixgunjr (Post 18015978)
Yup, just went through this! It’s like the motor company stealing an extra couple hundred bucks from you. Totally BS!

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.hdf...5d903223d.jpeg

Awesome looking bike man! I'm a sucker for orange. My bikes are paid off and the only reason I'm not considering a 19 in the orange is because I don't want a payment again.

Sure would be nice if they would give some options on that stuff. They also don't sell a black tour pack mount for the older style tour packs, so I had to buy the mount, and am having it powder coated. Such a pain.