Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning a stock motor #2

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 07:53 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,185 Posts

A lot of us can't leave well enough alone. We know that the motor is capable of more than the MoCo and the EPA want us to have, so we like to get the most out of the motor that we can.

If you don't want to add fuel management (tuner) to your bike and you are happy with how it runs, leave it alone. Chances are, if you take care of it, the bike will give you many pleasurable miles. It has been suggested by many that adding slip-ons or adding a high flow A/C doesn't require a tuner, but the bike will perform better and run cooler with a tuner. A cooler running motor is a happy motor. Is your motor going to crater if you add both slip-ons and a high flow A/C and you don't add a tuner? Maybe. Maybe not. As you know, adding slip-ons and a high flow A/C would likely go beyond the ability of the ECM to compensate for those changes and the motor will be running leaner than if it was stock, so a tuner would be required at that point, in my opinion. I added a tuner (FP3) when my bike was stock and I noticed right away that the bike ran much better and much cooler. I have since changed exhausts and A/Cs a few times and each time I was able to load a different tune to get the bike to run at its best. For me, the FP3 is worth every penny.

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 02-06-2019 at 07:54 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:05 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Aren't those the questions you're asking? I removed all the extraneous information in your post. Simple.

My answers are:

Has anyone re-tuned a stock Harley TC motor? Yes, I have re-turned a stock Harley TC motor.
Should a stock motor be tuned? In my opinion, yes. Others will have a different opinion.
Has anyone ever heard of someone running 100k miles on a stock motor and damage occurring only from a stock tune?? I have not.
1)Using what tuner and what did you do??
2)Why should it be tuned, based on your opinion?
3)So why re-tune the motor then, if it's just stock, in your opinion?

Thank you for answering the questions, but having a better explanation in your answers would have been better received. In simplifying my post as you did, I stated I'm looking for concrete answers, which you deleted. If you spent $300 on a tuner, slapped a map on there and then said it rides better then what proof do you have of that other than you "felt" it rode better?

Read this: http://www.nightrider.com/parts/ied_faq.htm

In creating his product, does he have knowledge of what I'm asking? Sounds pretty legit, and members on this forum and others have bought his products.

Last edited by nutsandbolts5212; 02-06-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:18 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

there is more to tuning than AFR, it is adding or subtracting fuel into the map, it is adding or subtracting ignition timing at different points, it is cold and hot start settings,

not to beat a dead horse, but AGAIN what the motor, even in stock trim is capable of, and what it does when delivered to you in a form the EPA dictates are two different things.

You can ride it all day long in stock trim and be happy, or you can get the hidden performance.

Some of you will be happy with the cake Mom made, some of us want to lick the spoon.

At this point you just want to argue, I'm too old for this sh*t

Last point. My Kawi C14 is a monster of a bike, for 12 grand it is a sport touring bike that will do sub 11 second 1/4 mile times easily, and do 150 MPH in stock form

Rip out the stock ECM, send it to a guy in Florida, and he unleashes another 19 HP and 10 ft/pounds of torque out of the bike.

It isn't cheap ( $300 ) but he has hundreds of hours into dyno time perfecting the tune, and as he improves it reflashes are short money ($25.00)

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 02-06-2019 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Tired (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 09:30 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by grbrown
For years you have been living under an illusion! 'Twas ever thus for Harley owners. When I started riding Harleys in the 1970s there were always owners who swapped mufflers, fitted slash-cuts, installed S&S carbs, etc, etc, and never bothered or succeeded in tuning the darned things to run right. Same thing continues to this day with EFI bikes. Nothing much has changed!

Like a carb, modern EFI does not automatically adjust for when we make changes to our bikes. It is however superior in adjusting for extremes of hot and cold, wet and dry, also dealing with big changes in altitude, but there has never been a built-in capability AFAIK to enable us to change away from the stock set-up. That is all part of the internet myth IMHO.

Does a stock motor need to be tuned? No. Will it benefit from being tuned? Very likely. Will a mildly modified bike run 'sort of OK' without being tuned? Quite possibly. Will it ride as well as it possibly can without being competently tuned? Definitely not!

I don't believe I've been living under an illusion, and if you are saying that a carbed bike and a EFI bike are similar in that nothing has changed over the years you might want to rethink that. Now I'm not saying that you can't tune a carb and have your ride running flawlessly, but comparing a carb to an ECM/EFI bike is like comparing apples and oranges. I'm not talking about building a 124" monster, I'm asking about a simple exhaust change and/or a high flow A/C change.

I'm trying to debunk "opinions" with actual facts, to obtain correct information. Opinions are for threads about bars where several people can say I like 12" bars better than 10" bars, and others say they like beach bars. My questions should be as simple as yes and no answers and what proof do you have to back up those answers. Like when Hillside or Fuelmoto answer questions with dyno run sheets showing multiple components working together to achieve hp/tq numbers, thats proof.

Then again, maybe these questions can't be answered on this forum, since many don't have info on how the harley ECM operates.

Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the replies, ride safe!

Old 02-06-2019, 11:20 AM
Cossack84
Tourer
Received 132 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Neggy ZRXOA 5248
IMHO ....

I want an A/F ratio of 13:1, I doubt a stock tune is at that value.
How did you come up with that number? Also what rpm and load range ?

Old 02-06-2019, 11:45 AM
FNGonaRK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,725 Likes on 2,693 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
For years you have been living under an illusion! 'Twas ever thus for Harley owners. When I started riding Harleys in the 1970s there were always owners who swapped mufflers, fitted slash-cuts, installed S&S carbs, etc, etc, and never bothered or succeeded in tuning the darned things to run right. Same thing continues to this day with EFI bikes. Nothing much has changed!

Like a carb, modern EFI does not automatically adjust for when we make changes to our bikes. It is however superior in adjusting for extremes of hot and cold, wet and dry, also dealing with big changes in altitude, but there has never been a built-in capability AFAIK to enable us to change away from the stock set-up. That is all part of the internet myth IMHO.

Does a stock motor need to be tuned? No. Will it benefit from being tuned? Very likely. Will a mildly modified bike run 'sort of OK' without being tuned? Quite possibly. Will it ride as well as it possibly can without being competently tuned? Definitely not!

I disagree. EFI includes what is referred to as KAM, or Keep Alive Memory. The KAM builds in fuel trims and corrective functions that attach to your bike's algorithms and make it run close to the original specified AFR's for any given condition. The need or desire to tune is based on changing the specified objective. Does a stock bike need a tuner. No. Can performance benefit from a tuner on a stock bike? Yes, but minutely.

The following users liked this post:
nutsandbolts5212 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 03:12 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,490 Likes on 4,060 Posts

Originally Posted by nutsandbolts5212

I'm trying to debunk "opinions" with actual facts, to obtain correct information. Opinions are for threads about bars where several people can say I like 12" bars better than 10" bars, and others say they like beach bars. My questions should be as simple as yes and no answers and what proof do you have to back up those answers. Like when Hillside or Fuelmoto answer questions with dyno run sheets showing multiple components working together to achieve hp/tq numbers, thats proof.

Then again, maybe these questions can't be answered on this forum, since many don't have info on how the harley ECM operates.

Hmmm... we all would like everything to be black & white.... but so many things live within the grey area.... EFI Tuning is one of them.

There are some basic, objective tuning goals & rules.... yet, even quantifying those will be based on expectations & priorities of engine performance. Most of whether to tune, or not to tune, is very much a subjective thing... The answer will be dependent on what YOU want out of YOUR bike....

I personally don't agree that just because a bike reaches 100K miles, and doesn't blow up, it had an acceptable tune. Now, if your main/only goal is to ride a bike for 100,000 without it blowing up, then you would obviously disagree with me... no right, no wrong, just different expectations & perspectives.

You referenced a marketing piece by Nightrider (yes I said marketing, they are trying to sell you something). I hope you don't think it is some kind of factual dissertation on EFI tuning. They certainly have an opinion and perspective on when/how/how much tuning is required on a modified bike, but there are many experts that would offer a different opinion on some of NightRiders alleged facts.....

How can that be? Easy, they will have different opinions on what's necessary, what's good for the bike, and what's good for performance. Some just don't want their bike tonot blow up, others want it to run really well/efficiently, and others still might just want it to get great fuel economy.... Nobody is right, nobody is wrong, they have different wants & opinions on what's most important...... The best tuners will ask you how you ride, and what you want out of your bike....and then tell you what they can and/or can't do with your bike/mods, before ever hooking it up to a tuner...

While dyno sheets can be a good reference for a well balanced, tuned, and performing set of mods.... It is not always the best representation of how a bike runs, feels, and will last. But again, if you're goal is to have an incredible dyno sheet posted on your wall..... Then a good dyno sheet will be your priority...

My point is ..... you seem to be looking for Black or White, Yes or No, completely objective answers to a question that is totally based on subjective goals & priorities..... Again, while there are some "actual facts" that most would agree to with EFI tuning, even some of those would be debated between experts.

That's why tuning is a grey area.... and you will never escape "opinions" when discussing EFI tuning.... I would rather listen to the opinions of Jaime from FuelMoto, or Steve Cole from TTS , sharing their experiences/insights with EFI tuning, than someone who claims they have the one and only answer....

Then again, that's just my opinion.....

Last edited by hattitude; 02-06-2019 at 03:16 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by hattitude:
GalvTexGuy (02-06-2019), jakewalter (02-12-2019), Vernal (02-06-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 03:34 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,970 Likes on 2,185 Posts
Old 02-06-2019, 03:59 PM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Now you guys did it, scared the poor kid away. LOL

Quick Reply: Tuning a stock motor #2