Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anybody Store The Bike All Winter With Battery Still In And No Trickle Charger?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2019, 07:54 PM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts
Default Anybody Store The Bike All Winter With Battery Still In And No Trickle Charger?

Since I started riding 15 years ago, I always kept bikes at a relative's barn. Real nice, clean foyer, out of the weather, but unheated. Had electricity so a trickle charger was never an issue. Well the place has been sold, and I found a storage unit with a paved lot, and I can ride right into it. It's perfect. No electricity though. I have a trickle charger pigtail, but don't wanna take the battery out for winter storage. Probably not a problem now that we're closer to spring, but just wondering if anybody stores all winter, leaves the battery in, never fires it up unless going for a ride, and doesn't have a trickle charger. Any problem firing it up in the spring? Now have a 2016 Limited Ultra.

The following users liked this post:
talkingrock (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 07:58 PM
jonnycando
Tourer
Received 100 Likes on 78 Posts

Wouldn't work for me...I keep bikes in garage...but there's no heat unless I am in there.....and then back off when I leave. Bikes, and lawn equipment, everything with a battery has a battery tender on it.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:00 PM
Fullbore55
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,226 Posts

If strong (newish with good charge) should last several months if not too much scavenge load.
My bike and buddy’s bike spent long MN winter like that. Mine came thru fine starting easy in spring, but not so for buddy’s bike. Neither had security and other scavenging loads.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 PM
predatornut
Tourer
Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts

I’ve done it when I was too lazy to pull it. Need to put it on a charger in the spring, though. It won’t start if you don’t. Of course that is after our northern winters, I’m not sure where you are since I’m on my phone.

It’s easier to pull it when you park it in the fall, and it is probably better for the battery too.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:06 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,919 Likes on 3,019 Posts

They do all the time in the south and south western states. But they only store it for a few days at time tops.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:13 PM
HM_SanDiego
Road Captain

Received 238 Likes on 174 Posts

Bottom line - your best bet under the stated storage circumstances is to pull the battery and store the battery at home, on a trickle charger. If that is a problem, maybe a next best option is to park the bike and then disconnect the negative cable from the battery, while the bike is stored.

Also, I would fill the gas tank on the way to the storage, and dump in the appropriate amount of fuel stabilizer.

son of the hounds (02-07-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:25 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Since I started riding 15 years ago, I always kept bikes at a relative's barn. Real nice, clean foyer, out of the weather, but unheated. Had electricity so a trickle charger was never an issue. Well the place has been sold, and I found a storage unit with a paved lot, and I can ride right into it. It's perfect. No electricity though. I have a trickle charger pigtail, but don't wanna take the battery out for winter storage. Probably not a problem now that we're closer to spring, but just wondering if anybody stores all winter, leaves the battery in, never fires it up unless going for a ride, and doesn't have a trickle charger. Any problem firing it up in the spring? Now have a 2016 Limited Ultra.
Wait. What? Trickle charger pig tail. That is for when the battery is in the bike. Has nothing to do with your present situation.
You don't have to take battery out. Just disconnect ground cable. Takes away vampire pull. Our batteries are the life blood of our electric start only bikes. Take extra care of them and replace at the first sign of decreased performance. Or. Be left stranded.

RichM752 (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:28 PM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,099 Likes on 1,913 Posts

I went for seven years before I got a charger and the bike was not started from Oct till April. Never had a problem starting it when I got ready to.

Oilhed (02-08-2019)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:40 PM
OLD 96
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by perki48
I went for seven years before I got a charger and the bike was not started from Oct till April. Never had a problem starting it when I got ready to.
You were born a Fortunate Son, sir. I have not been so blessed by the battery gods. Especially with the same battery for 7 years.

Old 02-07-2019, 08:42 PM
kickstartfan
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 190 Posts

Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Depends on how long, how cold, how old.

Pretty sure you will be replacing the battery sooner. Then guess what, you take the thing out anyway.

Quick Reply: Anybody Store The Bike All Winter With Battery Still In And No Trickle Charger?