Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Cable Lengths for 12" bars on 07 UC (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1270526-cable-lengths-for-12-bars-on-07-uc.html)

s13steve 02-08-2019 09:51 PM

Cable Lengths for 12" bars on 07 UC

So I've been searching around a lot for information on 12" bars but haven't been able to find out what lengths of cables I need for the 12" Yaffe Classic Bagger Bars that I'm putting on my UC. I see a lot of posts saying I will just need a longer clutch cable and that some guys just re route the cables through the fairing, but I can't find anything on what lengths I will need. Would +4" be enough for the clutch, brake and throttle cables?

Mofo67 02-09-2019 06:23 AM

On my ‘06 EGC and ‘12 FLHTK with 12.5” Wild Ones I ordered the LA Choppers kit made for 12” bars. It’s been a few years so I don’t have the part number but it came with everything needed to install the bars.

tfi racing 02-09-2019 01:20 PM

I did some research last year and +4" seemed to be the number for 12" bars, but saw here that some prefer +6". I would also like to know, will be doing the same swap in the next month or so.

skydude426 02-09-2019 05:00 PM

If memory serves me right, I used +8” cable and brake line for 14” bars on my 2012 Ultra last winter. They were about perfect I thought. Long enough that nothing seemed stretched but short enough that they weren’t sloppy either. I would think that +6” would be good for 12” bars.

Rodzilla71 02-10-2019 10:55 PM

I used +6 for throttle and clutch cable, +8 on front brake(not sure why, maybe +6 not available) on my 13" bars. Worked out well all around.

skinman13 02-11-2019 12:22 AM

I found this reference to be very helpful https://www.harley-davidson.com/app-...quirements.pdf

caulk04 02-11-2019 05:46 AM

If it were my project, I'd order +6 clutch and +4 brake. I've never had a throttle cable but I'd guess +4 there as well to be safe.

Stock brake line just reaches 10" bars and a +2 clutch just reaches, I run +4 clutch on my bikes.

skinman13 02-11-2019 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by caulk04 (Post 18027129)
If it were my project, I'd order +6 clutch and +4 brake. I've never had a throttle cable but I'd guess +4 there as well to be safe.

Stock brake line just reaches 10" bars and a +2 clutch just reaches, I run +4 clutch on my bikes.

I certainly did not find that to be the case when I changed the handlebars on my 03 Ultra Annie from stock to 10 inch minis...I was able to reroute the control wiring with no problems, but the stock clutch cable was about 2 inches too short and no way it was going to reach routed through the inner fairing, and the throttle cables would not route through the inner fairing without binding with the handlebars full left. The brake line would reach after I bent it straight, but it didn't follow the contours of the handlebars and just looked slammed together ghetto.

After wasting time trying to cobble together parts that just didn't fit right, I did what I should have done before pulling the handlebars in the first place...spent a few more bucks and got new cables and a brake line.

caulk04 02-11-2019 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by skinman13 (Post 18028191)
I certainly did not find that to be the case when I changed the handlebars on my 03 Ultra Annie from stock to 10 inch minis...I was able to reroute the control wiring with no problems, but the stock clutch cable was about 2 inches too short and no way it was going to reach routed through the inner fairing, and the throttle cables would not route through the inner fairing without binding with the handlebars full left. The brake line would reach after I bent it straight, but it didn't follow the contours of the handlebars and just looked slammed together ghetto.

After wasting time trying to cobble together parts that just didn't fit right, I did what I should have done before pulling the handlebars in the first place...spent a few more bucks and got new cables and a brake line.

Maybe we're misreading one another here, I don't recommend using the stock clutch line on 10" bars. I made it work for a short ride recently, but did not like it at all. Had to be run outside the fairing which looks dumb and IMO is also unsafe as it can catch on the ignition.

The brake line fits though, at least with the bars I've installed on both my bikes. Just barely cracking the banjo bolt loose and rotating the line helps.

s13steve 02-11-2019 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rodzilla71 (Post 18026916)
I used +6 for throttle and clutch cable, +8 on front brake(not sure why, maybe +6 not available) on my 13" bars. Worked out well all around.

What did you do about stereo controls?