Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front shocks bottoming out

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:35 AM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts
Question Front shocks bottoming out

I hate posting questions, especially shocks but here goes. My 17 Road Glide has bottomed out the front shocks at least twice now and dimpled my wrapper front fender. A few thousand miles ago during service I had a heavier shock oil put in so looks like I am gonna have to spend some money on front suspension. I also have a 21" front wheel raising the front end an inch from the stock 19" so lowering would be a consideration. Any help appreciated.

Old 02-09-2019, 11:37 AM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Would a little more oil volume help?

Old 02-09-2019, 02:43 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Front End

I would seriously look at Ohlins front end cartridges. They can be adjusted so the bottoming out would stop. I don't know if the are available for touring bikes yet but some models they have can be adjusted by the rider with a couple of wrenches. You could ask Howard of motorcycle metal what he thinks.
I just installed Ohlins on the back of my Roady and am very impressed with their performance and they also helped the feel from the front tubes. I am going to change out my front suspension out maybe this summer but for now I'm happy.

Old 02-09-2019, 04:09 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Re-Valve

Originally Posted by dyna rider
I would seriously look at Ohlins front end cartridges. They can be adjusted so the bottoming out would stop. I don't know if the are available for touring bikes yet but some models they have can be adjusted by the rider with a couple of wrenches. You could ask Howard of motorcycle metal what he thinks.
I just installed Ohlins on the back of my Roady and am very impressed with their performance and they also helped the feel from the front tubes. I am going to change out my front suspension out maybe this summer but for now I'm happy.
dyna rider is correct in as much as the FKC 102 can and should be re-Valved before you receive it from whom-ever you purchase it from. The compression side needs to be "Fattened Up" some as the Europeans do not seem to have enough bulk unless you look at so the payload as the Americans, they are less.

Last edited by FastHarley; 02-09-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Old 02-09-2019, 07:44 PM
big- mike
Road Warrior
Received 221 Likes on 139 Posts

Had that happen on my 2010 ultra I still have the dent in the fender where it hit my crash bar. I installed a set of patriot springs that the call genesis they are a double progressive if you call patriot springs you can talk to the designer. Good people

Old 02-09-2019, 09:10 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 994 Likes on 591 Posts

I have a set of Ohlins cartridges revalved by Howard. No issues, just smooth riding and great responsiveness. HD stock suspension is terrible.

Old 02-09-2019, 09:26 PM
SkyMaster1
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

maybe just try changing to 20w oil first

Old 02-10-2019, 09:26 AM
memphisharley
Road Warrior

Received 412 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyMaster1
maybe just try changing to 20w oil first
yep..i run a mixture of 15/20w and have had no issues and I've hit some rim bending bumps.

Old 02-10-2019, 03:05 PM
nobodyknowsme
Banned

Received 14,657 Likes on 6,424 Posts

Howard contacted me and I will be reaching out to him. Can't argue with so much positive testimony and zero negative that I have read here,

Old 02-10-2019, 04:31 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 441 Likes on 246 Posts
Default In pictures

This is what I said. Using stock forks which you have, you have 29 inches/ 736.6 mm from the top of the triple tree to the center line of the axle. The tubes are flush with the top of the triple tree with only the caps extending beyond the top of the upper triple tree. This is with the motorcycle jacked up with the front wheel off the ground.

Shorten the front forks mentally by removing the fork springs (in your mind) and stroke will be 4.6" and you still need the 1/2" clearance for the beer can bolts (see picture).

Put 1/2" hose on top of tire and place your fender on top (remove the fender bracket bolts from the sliders to allow your fender to go down in position.

With your wheel on the hang, measure 4.6" from top of fender to bottom of the lowest thing. If your measurement hits something (4.6") than your fender will get creased again in bottom out.

Quick Reply: Front shocks bottoming out