Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Must have in your saddle bag or tour pack (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1270782-must-have-in-your-saddle-bag-or-tour-pack.html)

Dprintz 02-11-2019 05:11 AM

Must have in your saddle bag or tour pack

New to having a touring bike. What is your must have in your saddle bags or tour pack?

Are the organizers for the bags or tour pack worth it?

Keithhu 02-11-2019 05:20 AM

Cigars and sun screen

Kawickrice 02-11-2019 05:27 AM

Rain gear. I don't leave home without it. A small tool bag too

EdwardK 02-11-2019 05:29 AM

Rain Gear. Always have rain gear. The only other thing that is always in my saddle bags is sunscreen.

I love the bags for trips. Do they not come with them anymore? The trunk bag is awesome. Pack it full and it drops right in and fits perfect even if you over stuff it. My wife likes the saddle bag bag for packing the things from the bathroom when traveling. Shampoo bottles etc are always upright that way. When traveling, I also carry the bag that folds flat if you don't need it and velcro's to the luggage rack. Perfect for separating dirty clothes and packing any souvenirs you buy on the trip. Starts out flat under the trunk bag and comes out if you need the extra room later.

I've never felt a need for the organizers but I'm not that organized either. I just toss the stuff in, forget it and let it roll around. The organizers are for people with OCD who will be constantly thinking about things rolling around in the trunk and ruin the enjoyment of the ride. :)

Mofo67 02-11-2019 05:39 AM

I’ve never seen the need for the organizers, I keep a couple of zip lock bags with sunscreen, chap stick and other small items in the TP. Also normally in the left bag I keep my rain gear, extra gloves and a things like neck wraps, face covers in case it gets colder than when I left home. Tour Pack I keep my registration, insurance information and this is the place I put things when I stop like a jacket, helmet and gloves. Right bag I keep my chaps (if I’m not wearing them) and a couple of tool kits and a bag of things like tire repair kit, Velcro strips, electrical tape, small bungee cords first aid kit etc.. I try to keep the left and right weight balanced as much as possible. When on a trip most of these items go in the luggage rack bag so I can use the saddle bags for clothes.
Enjoy the new bike...

svarnster 02-11-2019 05:43 AM

sunscreen, multi lens glasses,[clear, dark] towel, bottle of Tylenol.

Tarkus60 02-11-2019 05:59 AM

I always carry a small bottle of bugslide.

MyFavRk 02-11-2019 06:08 AM

Lots of great suggestions above , after my first flat less than a mile from my home , I started carrying a small compressor and a tire repair kit . Haven't had to use it yet but it'll be faster than calling for help when/if you need it .

KYRGultra 02-11-2019 06:33 AM

I also never felt the need for the over priced bag organizers. And like someone else mentioned, zip lock bags can be real handy. I use a bunch of them! I'll use one for a ratchet and some sockets, another for a few wrenches, couple more for other tools, another for insurance card & registration, another for some spare flashlight and fob batteries, another for sunscreen,small bottle of aspirin and a few band aids, etc., etc. I put all the zip locks in the bottom of my saddlebags then put in my small compressor, rain gear, ball cap, sweatshirt, tire plug items, sometimes a small thermos bottle, etc. So, if I am stopped somewhere and need something I know is in a zip lock bag I can pull out the bigger items on top then when I'm looking for a particular zip lock bag with wrenches or something it only takes seconds to find the right zip lock.

SWThomas 02-11-2019 06:50 AM

Bottled water.