Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Fairing tight fit after amp install (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1270815-fairing-tight-fit-after-amp-install.html)

HDJeff44 02-11-2019 12:09 PM

Fairing tight fit after amp install

I searched quite a bit and could not find any results or I did not search for the proper words.
I installed an amp and a bluetooth adapter and everything works. But when putting the outer fairing back on it is a very tight fit. Lots of wires. The question I have has anyone else experienced this and was there any damage at a later time. Very tight fit and vibration has me a little nervous.
It is tight enough that to put the screws in I have to press pretty darn hard. I can get it together. I have tried moving everything every which way but it is always tight.
Just looking for others that have had the same issues/solutions.
2011 Ultra limited.

Thanks, Jeff

fordhd2005 02-11-2019 01:59 PM

Someone might be able to offer you better advice if you mention what amp you used (because they're not all the same size)... You probably have the wiring harness running over the top of the amp (the big bulky one) and it is positioned higher and creating the interference (which was my problem and used zip ties to cinch down). Or, the amp is too far forward... Might also help to post a pic. As far as potential damage from the vibrations, the inserts will probably strip.

danzio 02-11-2019 02:04 PM

I have an amp, XM antenna wiring, garage door remote assembly, PAC audio adapter and a few other things and it's definitely tight but so far no issues. In my mind the snugness keeps things under there from bouncing around and becoming loose :icon_lol:

Now, depending on your configuration, amp, speakers etc. there are trays available for mounting amps, I built my own using some velcro and aluminum blocks but yeah, it's gonna' be a tight fit. As long as you're not pinching any wires you should be good to go.

There are many posts in the Audio section of the forum on amp mounts, you may want to check that forum out.

HDJeff44 02-11-2019 02:14 PM

Thanks guys. That is the kind of advice I was looking for! I am using the J&M amp and using there tray. Also the bluetooth Metra BT-HD01 which has a harness that connects inline with the radio. So a lot of the bulk is from it as well.
I believe I can get it to fit just wanted to get ideas of what has been done before.

SBates08 02-11-2019 07:36 PM

If you are having to force it to get it close enough for the fairing screws to grab, it will eventually pull the inserts out.

memphisharley 02-11-2019 08:34 PM

unbolt the outer fairing and take pics and post in the audio forum. you'll get some more help with your issue there.

HDJeff44 02-12-2019 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by memphisharley (Post 18029154)
unbolt the outer fairing and take pics and post in the audio forum. you'll get some more help with your issue there.

Thanks I will give that a try

Pdqtom 02-15-2019 09:42 AM

Hey Jeff,
I just did the same mod, adding the Metra HD01. Love it by the way, I had to move cables around several times to find the position for the outer fairing to mate up again. I use a lot of zip ties both tightly and some loose acting like a sling so as to position themselves but with a little guidance. Took several tries but ai all fit in there. I also removed the cig ighter and installed the weatherproof usb there. I didn’t want to drill another hole in the inner fairing. All I ever used the cig lighter for was a usb power port anyway. Keep At&t, it will fit!

Fireball Jack 02-15-2019 12:08 PM

Remove the headlight that will give you a look inside. Then you will know where you need to move things.

retep2281 02-16-2019 09:33 AM

Helped a buddy do a daymaker last year and had the same problem. All looked good just wouldn't line up for reassembly. 20 zip ties 7 beers and 172 F-words later it went right on. Lots of zip ties!