Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Pushrods (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1271050-pushrods.html)

SlingN 02-13-2019 08:35 AM

Pushrods

Doing cam chest. I got Andrews adjustable pushrods and figured I’d reuse my oem covers. Per jpcycles I can reuse. But some people are saying may not be able to adjust them. Anyone know if I can adjust Andrews rods with oem tubes ?

skydude426 02-13-2019 09:14 AM

One way or another you can. This is what I started doing because it’s actually easier. I bolt the rocker plates in place with the pushrods as short as they will go and no pushrod tubes. I then adjust the pushrods. Next, unbolt the rocker plates, pull out the adjusted pushrods and reinstall it all with the tubes in place.

d_slat 02-13-2019 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by skydude426 (Post 18032561)
One way or another you can. This is what I started doing because it’s actually easier. I bolt the rocker plates in place with the pushrods as short as they will go and no pushrod tubes. I then adjust the pushrods. Next, unbolt the rocker plates, pull out the adjusted pushrods and reinstall it all with the tubes in place.

Kind of defeats the purpose for having adjustable pushrods...

Jackie Paper 02-13-2019 09:55 AM

For sure, if your base circle of your cam is same as old one, you would be better off with lighter OEM non adjustable pushrods.
little more work on top side..sure.

SlingN 02-13-2019 11:07 AM

Seems like I should of bought the adjustable rod kit I guess

skydude426 02-13-2019 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by d_slat (Post 18032619)
Kind of defeats the purpose for having adjustable pushrods...

Not at all. The purpose of adjustable pushrods is to properly set the valve lash after making modifications like different cams. Changing cylinders and heads will also require pushrod adjustment.
Some adustable pushrods are designed to allow adjustment with the tubes in place, but that’s not the purpose of pushrod adjustment.

470004 02-13-2019 02:35 PM

I would call Andrew Products and ask them if the adjustable push rods you purchase can or can't be used with stock push rods covers.

GalvTexGuy 02-13-2019 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by skydude426 (Post 18032891)

Not at all. The purpose of adjustable pushrods is to properly set the valve lash after making modifications like different cams. Changing cylinders and heads will also require pushrod adjustment.
Some adustable pushrods are designed to allow adjustment with the tubes in place, but that’s not the purpose of pushrod adjustment.

The OP is doing cams, which is, like you say, the purpose of adjustable pushrods. Removing the heads, in this case, defeats that purpose.

skydude426 02-13-2019 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy (Post 18033456)
The OP is doing cams, which is, like you say, the purpose of adjustable pushrods. Removing the heads, in this case, defeats that purpose.

It’s true that removing the rocker box cover and rocker plate is more work than using pushrods that can be adjusted with the tubes in place for just a cam change. My point is that it can be done.

EdwardK 02-13-2019 06:37 PM

Are you replacing the cams with Andrews? According to their directions they have the same base circle and you can reuse your existing push rods. Yes, you have to remove the valve cover and the rocker arms but for a little extra work, you know they will fit, nothing to adjust ( or miss adjust) and nothing to possibly come loose later.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the only reason adjustable push rods are used is as a shortcut to not have to remove the cover and rocker arms? Don't the cam manufacturer's that use a different base circle offer exact fit, non adjustable push rods as well as the adjustable? Isn't the valve lash set by the lifter? You just adjust to get to the middle of the lifter's adjustment,right?

Sorry. I'm not an expert I can clearly read the directions on the Andrews web page that says their base circle is the same and the stock push rods can be used. I have an inexpensive indy that I trust and he reused the stock push rods when he's changed the cams in both my bikes. SE cams in one bike and S&S in the other.