Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle @ start-up,03 FLTRI

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 06:36 AM
urleycay
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High idle @ start-up,03 FLTRI

Well I said I would get back to all of you with final cause of high idle. The throttle shaft at butterfly cracked clean off, so it was hanging up. when plugged into ECM tech said the idle circuit was showing higher reading than normal. On my model you can still buy just the throttle body. 08' and up you must buy whole intake w/ injectors, TB and sensors approx $600 bucks.
Bike runs like it should now. interesting story as I was on my way to drop bike off @ dealer I began losing voltage. By the time I got to dealer I was at Zero and bike died and I rolled up to service door. Pure dumb luck. The Stator burned up. anyway I figure everyone should know the reason and not just "change Idle control valve" carbon is the blame. so clean your throttle body good but do not get crazy w/it and wipe butterfly clean w/ a rag.
thanks everyone for help
Tony

Old 03-23-2019, 08:02 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts

Sure would like to see a picture of what you are talking about.

Old 03-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,290 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by Apendejo
Not sure what the TBW reference is abs at the last shut off become the new idleout, but on an 03 Delphi bike the IAC pintle will activate when you cycle the ignition on and off. Just sayin.....
I think what they were referring to is if you shut off a TBW bike while the throttle is at more than an idle, the next time you start the bike the rpm from the last shut down becomes the new idle.
For example your idle is set at 1,000 rpm and for some reason when you hit the kill switch the eng was reved to 1,500 rpm, the next time you start the bike 1,500 is the new idle. I think the fix is turning the bike on and off 3 times while leaving it in the on position for a few second each time.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:01 PM
bigheadted
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by RIPSAW
I would get them to show you the crack. The shaft is mild steel with a brass plate butterfly on your 03. What is probably the case is the dried backflush of fuel left by the injectors ever time you cut off the motor was jamming the butterfly. Little carb cleaner on a cloth will fix that. Maybe a careful little amount applied to bore where the shaft enters the body. (Most and all tin men say it comes from the vent system but that is not the case.

Your answer above sound like something a part replacer would say. However, a part replacer would probably just hose down the inside with carb or throttle body cleaner and kill it anyway by destroying IAC, MAP, Temperature sensor and TPS if you push him by saying anything.
My 04 which is quite likely the same parts had the shaft not just crack but split. Apparently according to the fine folks at Trask it is not that uncommon.