Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High idle @ start-up,03 FLTRI

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Jchaiyo
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Apendejo
Clean the IAC pintle. Blow it out with carb cleaner while cycling the ignition on and off. Its an old bike. The pintle is at the 11 o'clock position in the outside throttle body. If it aint moving, it aint working.
Word. I second this

Old 02-15-2019, 03:00 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,529 Likes on 3,782 Posts

Check speed sensor on transmission.

Old 02-15-2019, 03:04 PM
urleycay
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default high idle @ start-up 03 FLTRI

well today was last straw, I did the cruise control set up (i have manual) and it did raise idle briefing like it should then returned. I started the bike 3 times today starting @ 9am, 2000rpm climbed to 2200 before dropping back down to 1300. It took 7 minutes to drop. second time at noon 1800/ 1300 last just a little while ago 2000 rpm down to 1300 over 6 min. I bought this bike new and it never did any of this untill late last year. it would do it, then stop. I'd go on a all day ride w/ club and all of a sudden in middle of day at rest stop it would do it and bike was hot. My shop is heated and when i use to start it maybe it would idle @ 1300 for a few seconds then drop to 1000. today in shop @ 70 degrees it starts @ 2000 and then 6-7 min later it finally comes down to 1300. I hate to take it to stealer but it looks like I have no choice. I cannot flash an ECM idle circuit. Thats seems to be what it needs. Thanks for all the help and ideas.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:32 PM
urleycay
Advanced

Well here is final cause. I had to bring it into the stealer. They found that the Throttle shaft the butterfly rides on was cracked.Probably due to a carbon build up on the shaft. The only way to fix it is to replace the throttle body. So that will be a week before The part comes in. But they guaranty the problem would be solved. The real end of the story was that I drove bike to dealer to have it checked out. approx a 2 hour ride. With 40 miles to go My fuel light came on but bike ran fine. I thought maybe because it was 32 degrees out the cold was having an effect. then volt meter started to drop. It held @ 12.3 volts for quite a while. so I turned off radio disconnected heated gear and hit it. With 20 miles to go the volt meter began to drop the rest of the way down at 2 miles I was at zero. I could not figure out why bike was still running and running good. As I turned into dealer and it died and I rolled up to service door. a few hours later they brought me back and you could smell the burn oil. The Stator fried itself. How I made it that 40 miles was PURE DAMN LUCK. Now I am facing a $1400 bill to fix everything. Stealer mark up is a bitch but my nagging problem and one I didn't know was coming. So I am thankful my frozen butt was not sitting on the side of road w/ the cows.
Thanks to everyone who contributed there 2 sense in trying to help solve this High Idle problem. I tried them all but "YOU ALWAYS LEARN SOMETHING NEW"
Tony G
Clarkridge,AR

Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

I would get them to show you the crack. The shaft is mild steel with a brass plate butterfly on your 03. What is probably the case is the dried backflush of fuel left by the injectors ever time you cut off the motor was jamming the butterfly. Little carb cleaner on a cloth will fix that. Maybe a careful little amount applied to bore where the shaft enters the body. (Most and all tin men say it comes from the vent system but that is not the case.

Your answer above sound like something a part replacer would say. However, a part replacer would probably just hose down the inside with carb or throttle body cleaner and kill it anyway by destroying IAC, MAP, Temperature sensor and TPS if you push him by saying anything.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-08-2019 at 08:17 PM.
Old 03-09-2019, 06:19 AM
urleycay
Advanced

First thing I told him, "I want to see the parts and problem"

Old 03-09-2019, 06:23 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by urleycay
First thing I told him, "I want to see the parts and problem"
So you saw the cracked tight butterfly shaft?

Old 03-10-2019, 05:01 PM
urleycay
Advanced

Not yet, I was already on the way home when he called about high idle but that was the first thing I said. What i don,t like is that I priced the throttle body online w/ a few HD dealers and they are all approx the same. throttle body w/o Tps and Idle control sensors. I ask him about that and he gave me a story about throttle body part # being superceded by a new number which comes as complete unit. 4 dealers are willing to sell me throttle body just as it is in parts book w/ one number for it alone. Do you think they're yanking my chain??? I do.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:54 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts

I've seen that once. A friend of mine who's a local indy had a bike come in with some strange drivability issues last year and that's what he found. I didn't even think of it when I saw your post. I thought maybe his was a one off

Old 03-11-2019, 08:24 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member

This problem happens all the time in both cars and bikes with age and miles. Not a cracked throttle body shaft but from dried up fuel that gets around butterfly. You can fill it when you come off idle or with air filter off, let throttle snap back and you don't see and hear the throttle stop hit it's stop with a good clink.

On a Harley, most of the idle air comes from the factory set butterfly stop screw (it's actually hidden so people do not think it's an idle adjustment). The rest is from the IAC valve or now the throttle motor on the new throttle by electrical wire.
When this area around butterfly gets crudded up, the bike has trouble catching the idle coming off high rpm.
Again, this crud is not oil. And again, wipe it out. Do not spray in there. And tin men, do not use this post to sale your product. Make your own new post.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 03-11-2019 at 08:26 AM.

Quick Reply: High idle @ start-up,03 FLTRI