Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garage door opener.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 08:07 PM
mmaniaci
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Garage door opener.

Help !!! I have a new liftmaster garage door opener. I have a 2016 ultra cvo. I can’t get it to operate. I can hear the Harley control “clicking” ( the unit that plugs up to outlet by opener. Hooked up to back of opener. But it doesn’t respond when clicking headlights. If anyone can help me out that would be great. I know others have had to run into this problem. The liftmaster I have also is one that you can operate with a phone. “Q”. Something like that. Not into that. But if someone knows what I’m doing wrong please let me know. Hear is my email. mikemaniaci5@gmail.com Thanks ahead.......Dago

Old 02-13-2019, 10:31 PM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

I have 5 of those. Only the very latest in remote control technology works. You have now officially out punted your coverage.

seriously, there are adapters that will bridge the technology gap, but that’s just more $$ invested.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:14 AM
MotoJockey
Stellar HDF Member

Received 3,074 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Had the same problem with a new Chamberlain door opener I bought a few months ago. Called HD Tech Support as well as Chamberlain Tech Support and they both told me, at that time, there was no adapter/interface to take a basic set of dry contacts and make it work with their "Smart" type opener. I tossed one remote in the windshield of the '03 RKC and Velcro'd the other to the inside top of my right saddlebag lid on the '14 SGS. I'll leave the HD opener transmitter in the fairing for now and wait for the interface to be developed. Meanwhile, I'm ok with the workaround I have. It's still better then getting off the bike to open the garage door!

Old 02-14-2019, 07:22 AM
cmhdwg09
Road Captain
Received 192 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoJockey
Had the same problem with a new Chamberlain door opener I bought a few months ago. Called HD Tech Support as well as Chamberlain Tech Support and they both told me, at that time, there was no adapter/interface to take a basic set of dry contacts and make it work with their "Smart" type opener. I tossed one remote in the windshield of the '03 RKC and Velcro'd the other to the inside top of my right saddlebag lid on the '14 SGS. I'll leave the HD opener transmitter in the fairing for now and wait for the interface to be developed. Meanwhile, I'm ok with the workaround I have. It's still better then getting off the bike to open the garage door!
I did the same.....remote in Heritage windshield bag....but then went and got a “key chain” remote from Home Depot that’s about the size of a silver dollar (if the silver dollar were square). I put in on a carabiner with my MC keys and wear on a belt loop. Opener is always handy. It’s all personal preference.....just an option I do.

The following users liked this post:
PhillySoldier (02-15-2019)
Old 02-14-2019, 07:31 AM
Circa58
Club Member
Received 365 Likes on 202 Posts

Same here, I have a small remote in my windshield bag with some Velcro on the back, I just reach in and press the button, really simple and only I know it is there.

Old 02-14-2019, 07:58 AM
30glock
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by cmhdwg09
I have 5 of those. Only the very latest in remote control technology works. You have now officially out punted your coverage.

seriously, there are adapters that will bridge the technology gap, but that’s just more $$ invested.
I have a really old craftsman garage opener, the one they claim its not compatible yet it works flawlessly every time .

Old 02-14-2019, 08:06 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

I have my phone mounted on the handlebars, so that works for me.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:09 PM
lorenc
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got another "Q" transmitter and took it apart. I soldered wires to either side of the switch that activates the opener and then connected the other end of the wire to the HD receiver. When I "flash" my lights, the door opens/closes perfectly

Old 02-14-2019, 12:24 PM
Wicked Smaaht
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wired a momentary on push button switch to my spare garage door remote and then installed it under the right side cover. There was already an existing hole where I mounted the push button switch, so no drilling needed.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:44 PM
show-n-go
Road Master
Received 185 Likes on 135 Posts

I have never been able to get mine working either. I have tried 3 different HD units but it seems my old craftsman door opener is on the list of openers that aren't compatible.

Quick Reply: Garage door opener.