Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Whirring while in gear (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1274682-whirring-while-in-gear.html)

CGLTD 03-12-2019 04:43 PM

Whirring while in gear

Yesterday while my riding gears felt like they were slipping. I was a mile from home when it started. By the time I got home the bike will go into gear but not engage.

I adjusted the clutch as per the service manual and when I let the clutch out I just hear a whirring sound and the bike does not move. There is also no nose while in neutral.

As soon as the video loads to photo bucket I will post it so you can hear the sound.

I replaced the inner primary bearing on my '05 years ago, but that noise went away in gear and bike was rideable.

Any ideas?

Max Headflow 03-12-2019 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by CGLTD (Post 18100110)
Yesterday while my riding gears felt like they were slipping. I was a mile from home when it started. By the time I got home the bike will go into gear but not engage.

I adjusted the clutch as per the service manual and when I let the clutch out I just hear a whirring sound and the bike does not move. There is also no nose while in neutral.

As soon as the video loads to photo bucket I will post it so you can hear the sound.

I replaced the inner primary bearing on my '05 years ago, but that noise went away in gear and bike was rideable.

Any ideas?

You either blew the splines out of the clutch hub or front pulley.

HD Bobber 03-12-2019 08:48 PM

Compensator bolt and unit maybe came loose or most likely clutch is smoked....guessing game till you remove the outer primary and take a closer look.

FXDXTSport 03-12-2019 09:43 PM

Originally Posted by Max Headflow (Post 18100162)
You either blew the splines out of the clutch hub or front pulley.

^^^^^ I blew the spines off the front pulley on a 2001 FXDXT. Sounded just like you describe, whiring noise but doesn't move.

Hammz 03-12-2019 10:18 PM

Other responses seem valid, but I'd start by inspecting the final drive belt to ensure it's OK (no missing teeth on the belt).

If that's OK, next is checking primary fluid level. Did you notice any burned smell when you had the derby off to make the clutch adjustment?

You'll probably need to pull primary cover to inspect the primary drive. Look for a loose drive chain & teeth worn off the comp sprocket. If primary chain & sprocket inspect OK, could be glazed/worn clutch plates. Should be easy to figure out once you're in there.

CGLTD 03-13-2019 05:24 AM

Thank you. I will check it out this afternoon.

I forgot to mention that during the last ride I felt some "thumping" on the right floorboard. Felt like something was hitting it. Pulled over thinking something was loose. I then rode it the mile home. Thumping then came back while on my street.

skydude426 03-13-2019 06:30 AM

The way I see it you have two options. Get it to a mechanic or start tearing into it yourself. You're not going to find the problem any other way. I hope you find the cause and I hope it’s something fairly easy like replacing clutch plates. Let us know what you find.

Super Glidester 03-13-2019 07:10 AM

Take the playing card out of the back spokes....

Max Headflow 03-13-2019 09:45 AM

Easiest starter for diagnostics is to drain the primary oil, pull the clutch cover , start the bike and try to put it in gear to move. If inner part of the hub spins while sitting still you'll have to start taking things a part.

CalgaryBikeBum 03-13-2019 10:24 AM

I agree its in the clutch hub. My old 2000 started to "slip" was the plates catching in the worn notches in the hub splines. The notches were caused by the constant torquing of the clutch plate ears against the splines that slow caused wear until the plates started to stick in the notches. Could also be belt teeth missing.