Oil Archive (no new posts) An archive of oil related questions and comments.

20w-50 three holes

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
From Bob is the oil guy...

“Harley Davidson FORMULA+ Trans and Primary Chaincase VOA

(Mini VOA via Amsoil)

Petroleum based.

Ca 169
P 230
B 210
S - some
Zn - essentially none
No other elemental additives.

Vis. within SAE 50 range.

Listed as a GL-1, does test out as a GL-3.

Harley owners may be better served by using a lube that meets GL-4 requirements and has more P and Zn, and a basestock resistant to shear.”
Hey thx man, 👍
Now not wanting to turn this into a sporty thread,

What’s a high P and ZN oil good for primary and transmission duties , As Mobil 1 takes care of the engine.

Wiz 🍻

Old 03-18-2019, 06:16 PM
SkyMaster1
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

its been awhile since I read the owners manual but I seem to remember it reading to use only "HD" branded oil but if you are not close to an HD dealer you could use diesel engine oil in a pinch but must change it too HD branded oil as soon as possible.

Now of course HD is going to tell you to use only their oil but is anyone running diesel engine oil?

Old 03-18-2019, 08:27 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyMaster1
its been awhile since I read the owners manual but I seem to remember it reading to use only "HD" branded oil but if you are not close to an HD dealer you could use diesel engine oil in a pinch but must change it too HD branded oil as soon as possible.

........... is anyone running diesel engine oil?
Sure, lots of people run Rotella, etc......

Old 03-19-2019, 01:04 AM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,877 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
Mobil 1 V-Twin Syn 20w50. Find it coast to coast, stock up when it's on sale, formulated to work in all three holes, easy to find, easy to keep in inventory in my garage. I am a firm believer in Mobil 1 Synthetics, that's all I use, even in my lawn equipment and my guns as well.
Maybe a subject for a different discussion - but does oil break down? I don’t get to ride as much as I’d like and I’d hate to keep oil around that has broken down and lost some of its effectiveness.

Of course when the zombie apocalypse happens we won’t care Iif the oil has “expired”

Old 03-20-2019, 09:56 PM
Wizardofaus
Road Warrior
Received 230 Likes on 173 Posts

[QUOTE=SkyMaster1;18115165]its been awhile since I read the owners manual but I seem to remember it reading to use only "HD" branded oil but if you are not close to an HD dealer you could use diesel engine oil in a pinch but must change it too HD branded oil as soon as possible.

Don't drink the kool aid.

Wiz 🤪

Last edited by Wizardofaus; 03-20-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 09:22 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,410 Likes on 4,016 Posts

Originally Posted by SkyMaster1

I'm pretty sure they use the wording "recommend" rather than "require", that you use HD branded oil....

If they "required" HD branded oil, it would be in direct violation of the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" and they would be required to supply you with the required branded oil for free during your warranty period.

Funny, all the discussions of the MM act on forums, reference to warranties, are usually incorrect, because they focus on the use of "aftermarket performance parts". However, requiring a certain "brand" of product to maintain warranty is the main focus of the MM Act..... and is at the core of its existence....

They can require an oil with a certain specification (API rating), but they cannot require a certain brand (manufacturer) of oil....

FWIW.... because of the higher compression, heat, and blow-by of diesel engines, a diesel oil usually is a very good oil with a superior additive package, to combat those extreme operating conditions....

Last edited by hattitude; 03-21-2019 at 09:24 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ddieselsmoke (03-23-2020)
Old 03-21-2019, 09:49 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,249 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
Maybe a subject for a different discussion - but does oil break down? I don’t get to ride as much as I’d like and I’d hate to keep oil around that has broken down and lost some of its effectiveness.
Stored on the shelf, oil doesn't break down, but it can evaporate of the lighter oils, leaving you with a thicker oil and even finally turning into a gooey jelly. This takes numerous decades to happen. May not be as likely in the plastic jugs we use today. Where I've seen it, it was in the cardboard quart cans.

So while technically possible, you're not going to run into it being a problem.

Old 03-21-2019, 11:39 AM
Frogprince
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Just had my 15k service ( I know slacking on the mileage) and the dealer used Syn3 in all 3.

Old 03-21-2019, 03:18 PM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 995 Likes on 591 Posts

Originally Posted by Frogprince
Just had my 15k service ( I know slacking on the mileage) and the dealer used Syn3 in all 3.
Can you blame them? If they can get people to buy their overpriced oil, why not.

I have always changed my own oil, trans fluid, and primary lube. I also change my own tires, forks, brake pads, and almost everything else in the service manual. I’ll let them do other stuff like flush the brakes and clutch every two years, and occasionally let them look it over before a long road trip. But I absolutely refuse to pay them to change the fluids. I buy a filter and o-rings and go somewhere else for my lubricants. You never know what is used and if it’s done right unless you do it yourself. But sometimes you just have to trust them.

Old 03-21-2019, 05:45 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 530 Likes on 376 Posts

I don’t put motor oil in a transmission. I wouldn’t put gear oil in motor...

Quick Reply: 20w-50 three holes