Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old vs new

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 05:39 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team

Received 1,241 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by Kazu Hiro
Will the perks of the newer bike outweigh the practicality of the old?
I ride an 04 RK and am perfectly happy with it.

Old 03-19-2019, 06:56 AM
Ex-Leftcoaster
Banned
Received 106 Likes on 93 Posts

I think some of the perks of the newer is great to have, like the one-hand operation of the saddlebags, etc. The older bike might be a good deal, but sometimes you never know how gentle the previous owner or owners were, especially being on an island and some of the salty environs. My preference would be the newer, and the 103 motor has been pretty good.

Old 03-23-2019, 02:45 AM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser
Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Grabbed a 2011 Road Glide Ultra at a decent deal from my local HD dealer. Thanks for the advice guys!

Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 AM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 259 Likes on 221 Posts

If I ever get a new bike that's what I want is a road glide. Nice choice looks sharp.

Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 AM
Kozmo
Road Master

Received 325 Likes on 197 Posts

Nice bike. What made you go with a RG?

Old 03-23-2019, 09:09 AM
nutsandbolts5212
Road Warrior

Received 793 Likes on 352 Posts

Even on Oahu you can still tour around on a bike, and yes I've been there and drove around that Island. I also rented a 16 EG Ultra Limited when vacationing on the big island, stayed in Kona and toured the entire west side of the island and rode through the mountains, (not as high as the mainland but they're there). Are the islands small, yes, but you can still get a touring bike and enjoy riding. I say go with newer, the 00-08 yrs of Harleys IMHO were the bastard years of built bikes. Once again, MY OPINION.

Get the RG you posted and enjoy your life and riding. We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time.

Ride safe!!

Old 03-23-2019, 10:08 AM
1997bagger
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,627 Likes on 842 Posts

Originally Posted by Goose_NC
I've been told my 2002 was too old and unsafe to tour on. The older bikes are fine. I bought my 02 2 years ago with 24k on it. I had the 20k cash to buy a newer one. I chose the 02 and traveled on the 12k I didn't spend on the bike. .
First of all congrats to the OP on the bike, Harley's are purchased to make one happy, not others

On the above statement Harley owners are creatures of habit and have a cost ceiling on a purchase. Mostly ride with Shovel guys, they think Harley's ceased in 1984, been riding the same Evo for 13 years and not a TC fan, always thought a Roadglide was the ugliest bike made but now have a TC 05 Roadglide lol, along with the Evo and have upgrades for their purpose.
When we go on friend rides Shovels, Evo's, 88 TC, 96 TC, 103 TC and M8's may be running together, the older stubborn guys usually make fun of the new bikes, I make fun of both older and newer bikes, the new guys are trying to figure it out but at the end of the day we ride together with a lot of laughs and passing on Harley heritage from the Shovel guys, win win. Pretty much makes my point on a purchase that makes one happy not others.

Last edited by 1997bagger; 03-23-2019 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:48 PM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by xcbullet
If I ever get a new bike that's what I want is a road glide. Nice choice looks sharp.
Thanks! It’s pretty clean. Now to try and force myself to not upgrade it!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:50 PM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Kozmo
Nice bike. What made you go with a RG?
I honestly never liked the look of the road glide. Somehow with the tour pack it evens out the front and keeps it from looking like a shark crossed with a bulldog. This one had relatively low miles, it’s pretty clean, well kept, the dealer is throwing in a new set of tires + the 10k mile service, plus I could finance it...hard to pass up!

Old 03-25-2019, 09:51 PM
Kazu Hiro
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nutsandbolts5212
Even on Oahu you can still tour around on a bike, and yes I've been there and drove around that Island. I also rented a 16 EG Ultra Limited when vacationing on the big island, stayed in Kona and toured the entire west side of the island and rode through the mountains, (not as high as the mainland but they're there). Are the islands small, yes, but you can still get a touring bike and enjoy riding. I say go with newer, the 00-08 yrs of Harleys IMHO were the bastard years of built bikes. Once again, MY OPINION.

Get the RG you posted and enjoy your life and riding. We're not here for a long time, we're here for a good time.

Ride safe!!
Thanks! Awaiting the dealer to complete the service and tires then I will take it for a long ride!

Quick Reply: Old vs new