Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Preventative Maintenance (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/1275736-preventative-maintenance.html)

paul310 03-19-2019 10:35 PM

Preventative Maintenance

Hi guys,

Not too long ago, I got a great deal on a 2000 Road King Classic with 38k miles. It has no documentation - original owner was deceased, son couldn't find any information on it (part of the reason I got a good price). It looks very well maintained, but I'm planning on riding to DC for Rolling Thunder and want to make sure everything is in order. This is my first twin cam, and first touring bike.

I changed the oil (looked clean) and put a fresh battery in it. It runs and rides great. Visually, everything is in order (fork seals, tires, suspension, etc.) and I don't see any leaks. I was planning on doing the 40k service and checking the cam chain tensioner (switching to hydraulic if not done already). Anything else I should address or keep an eye out for?

Thanks in advance.

Dynamick 03-20-2019 12:47 AM

Not knowing when they'd last been replaced, I'd be checking for date codes on the tires. There will be a four-digit number on the sidewall, with the first two numbers being the week and the last two numbers being the year of production.

Any more than six years old and I'd be replacing them, even if they "looked" good and had tread left.

btsom 03-20-2019 08:10 AM

You don't mention anything about brake pads. At that mileage they might be relatively new or on their last few miles before replacement. There is cleaning that should be done to the caliper pistons if you replace the pads, especially on the pre-Brembo calipers. It should be covered in the brake section in here. With a big trip soon, it wouldn't hurt to have a shop check it over, especially if this is your first Harley.

hattitude 03-20-2019 09:25 AM

If it's too old to get the owner's manual online at the HD owner's web site, look to eBay... the owner's manual will give a service schedule per mileage

It would be good to get the HD service manual too, if you are going to do your own work... The HD manuals are light years better than the "Chiltons", "Haynes", or other generic brand manuals...

You are probably due for greasing the neck bearings and checking the fall away (neck bearing adjustment)..... mileage for these maintenance items varies per year

carlgrover 03-20-2019 09:32 AM

As mentioned above, service your brakes. Simply taking them apart and cleaning them makes a world of difference.

Other things.

1. Final drive belt tension
2. Tire pressure
3. shock pressure (if you have air shocks
4. brake fluid level
5. primary chain tension and fluid change
6. transmission oil change
7. plug change
8. air filter service or change
9. grease rear brake, shift linkage, neck bearing linkage (if you have zerks).
10. clutch adjustment
11. lastly, go over the whole bike and check the tightness of all fasteners. You might be shocked at what you find. Doesn't take all that long.

Carl

Uncle Larry 03-20-2019 09:57 AM

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...t-touring.html

paul310 03-20-2019 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Dynamick (Post 18118597)
Not knowing when they'd last been replaced, I'd be checking for date codes on the tires. There will be a four-digit number on the sidewall, with the first two numbers being the week and the last two numbers being the year of production.

Any more than six years old and I'd be replacing them, even if they "looked" good and had tread left.

Good call! They are late 2013 tires, so I'd say a replacement is in order.

paul310 03-20-2019 10:45 AM

Thank you for all the information! Lots of good stuff to take care of. I checked the pads and they seem like they have a decent amount of meat left on them. I might change them anyways since I'll have the wheels off for tires.

hardheaded 03-20-2019 10:50 AM

If it has the stock head pipe on it i would check and make sure it isn't cracking where the rear pipe goes into the front pipe down by the transmission. Another thing to look for is make sure the swingarm isn't cracking on the left side at the axle. Common problems on the earlier touring bikes.

keithl3030 03-20-2019 02:23 PM

grease the wheel bearings while you have the wheels off anyway and flush out the break fluid