Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'01 Road King EFI - Advice Needed!!

Old 03-21-2019, 05:20 PM
wharfcreek
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trying this from my cell phone. That video was EXTREMELY helpful!! While it didn’t show it, I believe the final step in that process would be that once warmed up the ‘warm idle’ screw would be adjusted so as to have a warm idle rpm of appx 1000 +\- ? If that’s it, then I’ve got it! I’ll just leave ‘the secret screws’ alone, and set it up as per all this info. This has been REALLY helpful, and again, my thanks to everyone!!

Old 03-21-2019, 06:29 PM
xcbullet
Road Warrior
Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

If u want to go big on the mods this looks like what u would want for a ecm replacement. The piggy back tuners can have there limits on the MM system.

http://www.thunder-max.com/Products/...dyTouring.aspx

$999

Last edited by xcbullet; 03-21-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:23 PM
wharfcreek

702 - Many thanks for all the good references!! Very helpful stuff!!

XC, not so sure I'm ready to drop that kind of investment into this bike. Honestly, I think I'll be selling it in the not-too-distant future, and my real intent is to simply take it from being inoperative and badly neglected, to running well, safely, and reliably. To that end I've already replaced the spoke wheels with cast 'Airstrike' wheels including new bearings, brake pads, and new tires. My reason for this is the simple aspect of being able to 'plug' a small puncture on the road vs having to replace an inner tube. I've replaced the battery in this bike, now done all this 'intake' cleaning and servicing, changed engine oil and filter, now about to do trans and primary, and have 'inspected' about everything visible. I even replaced the handlebar riser bushings and the windshield mounting bushings. In all I will have spent about $1200 on this thing, not to mention my 'purchase price' of about $4500.....and I've only ridden it as far as the end of the street and back!! I bought it to 'flip' it....but after sitting on it a bit I thought it felt so comfortable that I might want to ride it some. That means more money in a state inspection, insurance, and registration. But.... what he hey......... If I get it running well..........who knows......maybe I'll consider keeping it a while. For now....one step at a time!!

Old 03-21-2019, 09:11 PM
svarnster
Road Warrior
Received 98 Likes on 90 Posts

I have learned a lot from this thread thanks to all, for the great information. good luck with that road king sounds like you have got her where you want her. I am looking at a tuner for my 2000 .

Old 03-21-2019, 10:53 PM
1997bagger
Club Member
Received 361 Likes on 244 Posts

Keep the M&M simple, it can respond to a PC3 or PC5, the TC removed the problem engine temperature sensor that plagued the Evo changing to a easy replacement sensor. They are known to lose their idle, fast idle gets erratic and fuel lines start leaking at the tank and only good to 100 hp even with red injectors.
It is a simple system, works well when running right and not that hard to repair against popular belief but not to many shops want to mess with them. If runability gremlins starts being a problem and a shop is doing the repair, costs could rise higher than a carb conversion which will outperform the M&M hands down.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:20 AM
evotrike
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoginedgewood View Post
Next time drain it from the crossover hose at the steering neck.
That!

Old 04-03-2019, 10:41 AM
wharfcreek

OK, so a bit of a 'follow-up' here to the overall status of the bike: First, I replaced the fuel with 'new' stuff, including a couple different kinds of injector cleaners and some anti-ethanol treatment. Got it running pretty well after changing plugs, cleaning air filter, and doing a few adjustments. Took it on a short ride to clear as much of the old fuel as I could out of it, brought it back and drained the tank AGAIN!! Then refilled with a fresh tank of hi-test from the local shell station, and again added some injector cleaner and anti-ethanol treatment. Then, after doing one final pre-flight check-over, I took it on a 'longer' test ride. Went about 15 miles including about 6 miles of highway at about 70 MPH, and the rest on city streets and neighborhood roads. Overall it seemed to perform perfectly! I didn't detect a glitch on any kind anywhere Even the cruise control functioned properly!!. Part of the intent of this run was to get it back and do the final service of changing both primary and trans lubes. However, an 'interruption' upon my arrival home prevented that from being done. So, I'm about to go repeat that same ride and this time I hope to get the final fluid changes done when I return. The weather is good right now.......thankfully, as it's been rather unfriendly throughout most of this spring here in the Baltimore, Maryland area. A few nice days, but mostly cold and wet! Anyway...... probably good that I didn't get this done the first time as it really is a good idea to do one more 'check-out' ride before I put this on the blocks. I've decided to go ahead and sell it...... mostly because I also have the '05 and '07 Ultra Classic bikes still here.......and keeping this Road King is rather redundant. But...... I've learned a lot from working on this one..... and I REALLY appreciate all the comments and information from everyone above. With luck, I'll get back what I've invested in this thing, and it will be a great bike for someone who wants to move into a 'Touring' machine but is on a tight budget. I just added up everything that I've spent, including the cost of the bike itself, the taxes and title fees, wheels, tires, batteries, fluids, filters, mufflers.brakes, plus more.....and I'm into it for about $4700....which is 'cost' of items and a big $ZERO$ for all my work. But......"...Labor of Love!"...right? Right!! Anyway.....thanks again......and with that: Happy Motoring!! Tom D.

Last edited by wharfcreek; 04-03-2019 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Forgot to add one item of info.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: